Register

How to connect TV to Sony surround system??

Hi all, I can't get my TV audio to play through my ...

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to connect TV to Sony surround system??

Hi all,

I can't get my TV audio to play through my DVD/surround sound.

I have a bush hdtv with vermin connected via hdmi and i want to hook my Sony DVD system up to play audio as my TV's sound is piss poor.
    The sony has rca(red,white,yellow) to scart but my bush tv doesn't have scart, well it does but it's a small mini scart thing which are expensive, so i bought a rga cable and connected it that way. I now have surround sound when i play a DVD but no surround sound when i am watching tv/virgin.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Optical audio cable/toslink from tv to surround. Tv must have audio out or you will have to use scart

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply

Just checked the manual and audio output - L/R 2x10 W. Which i'm presuming are speakers. So does that mean i have to use scart? If so then do you know anywhere that sells the scart to "mini scart" converter? because everywhere i go no one has heard of such a cable.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gingebond View Post
    Thanks for reply

Just checked the manual and audio output - L/R 2x10 W. Which i'm presuming are speakers. So does that mean i have to use scart? If so then do you know anywhere that sells the scart to "mini scart" converter? because everywhere i go no one has heard of such a cable.
    Your TV should have serveral outputs/inputs for a HD TV. I run mine from the TV Red/White AV lead or rca lead to the dvd/surround sound sytem (Sony) and change the system via remote for 5.1 souround std. Check your tv at the back there should be more options. The VM Box may have audio out most kit is adapted to take surround now.
    Keep calm carry on.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply

Not sure what type of connection you mean but do you always use vermin on that tv and not freeview, if it's only for vermin then connect the vbox to surround by optical audio cable.
    That mini scart you talk about sounds like a vga port to use tv as pc monitor...You sure there are no scart sockets hidden away. You could always post your tv model number or google hgt to find out more connectivity info
    Last edited by happy_highlander; 29th May, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just found this on argos...

"Having spoken to our technical department, I do apologise but this television does not have an audio output on this television so you will be unable to attach a Home Cinema Audio to this television."

So does this mean it's impossible to connect the speakers? Or is there another way to connect it, maybe through my virgin box?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just found this on argos...

"Having spoken to our technical department, I do apologise but this television does not have an audio output on this television so you will be unable to attach a Home Cinema Audio to this television."

So does this mean it's impossible to connect the speakers? Or is there another way to connect it, maybe through my virgin box?
    Read the post above about connecting vbox to surround sound

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default manual for update

Hi all,

I can't get my TV audio to play through my DVD/surround sound.

I have a bush hdtv with vermin connected via hdmi and i want to hook my Sony DVD system up to play audio as my TV's sound is piss poor.
    The sony has rca(red,white,yellow) to scart but my bush tv doesn't have scart, well it does but it's a small mini scart thing which are expensive, so i bought a rga cable and connected it that way. I now have surround sound when i play a DVD but no surround sound when i am watching tv/virgin.

Can anyone help please?
    Having spoken to our technical department service mayby someting it bad in your system.....newer cknow

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great minds

Yes i only use vermin through tv, not even got freeview set up. so i will buy the optical audio lead and connect my vermin to dvd and hope it works. Saying that i can't control my volume through my vermin. I tried through their guide but to no avail. Do you think that will matter?

and is this the cable i need?
    Digital Optical Audio Lead Cable Red Plug SPDIF TosLink 1M 1.5M 2M 3M 5M 10M | eBay

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's the one but make sure both vbox and surround have optical port

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

The mini scart is strange like i said no one who i asked as heard of it but i know one exists as my tv came with one! but it broke!
    I think this is it and for only 9 [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-ADAPTOR-CABLE-Genuine-BPDP42HD/dp/B005LCJJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338325896&sr=8-1]BUSH TV SCART ADAPTOR CABLE LEAD Genuine BPDP42HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Would connecting through scart solve the audio issue or would i still have to connect vermin?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

If tv is only stereo (no digital audio out) then even with the scart you will only get simulated surround sound. With optical from vbox to surround you will get true surround if that is what is being broadcast (which can only be done on hd channels) but even simulated will be better with optical
    Edit and going by the report from tech department that scart is scart in only so may not output audio
    Last edited by happy_highlander; 29th May, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have checked and both vbox and surround have optical Iv ordered the cable so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for your help Happy!!
    I will inform you the results!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have checked and both vbox and surround have optical Iv ordered the cable so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for your help Happy!!
    I will inform you the results!
    It will work perfect m8 that's the way I had to set up father inlaws. I take it surround is combo amp and dvd player
    Edit I couldn't get vbox remote to control sony surround either on inlaws so just set the vbox sound at 50% then got surround to a normal listening level, you may have to put it up quite high (so don't forget when you put a dvd on) that way you can use vbox for fine tuning of level and aren't sitting with two remotes constantly at your side.
    Last edited by happy_highlander; 29th May, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Top Poster
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your right mate it does work shweeet!
    Iv been messing with the two remote controls since friday . Got the sound level right but it seems to change when i change channel so i'm constantly adjusting. Oh and my bro managed to get the vbox remote linked up and it was quite simple really.

Thanks again happy! Not sure my neighbours will thank you though