pjrg (20th December, 2013)
Hi here is what we have been all waiting for the USB HD Loader. The best thing since sliced bread. This will let you load all your backups from a USB HD so no more DVD's. This app is confirmed working.
Here is what you need to download
Digital Kaos - Downloads - USB HD Loader
Digital Kaos - Downloads - cIOS36_rev9-Installer
And for those that like the Channels in stead of loading via the homebrew channel
Digital Kaos - Downloads - Wii USB HD Loader Channel
Here is an update on this app as i'm sure there will be people unsure on how to set this app up.
--- INSTALLATION ---
01. Download the ZIP file,
02. Extract the ZIP file to the root of your SD card.
03. You should now have two new folders, in your "apps" folder ("cIOS rev9" and "USB Loader 1_0").
04. Launch the "cIOS Installer", from The Homebrew Channel.
05. When it asks you the type of installation you want to use, press Right, on the D-Pad, and select "Network Installation."
06. Watch carefully, to be sure everything installs successfully. If you encounter any errors, rerun the "cIOS Installer", until it installs correctly.
08. Plug in your chosen USB drive. If your drive has a power light, be sure that it is correctly powered on.
10. Launch the "USB Loader", from The Homebrew Channel.
11. If the USB Loader launches, and the black rectangular section contains no text, you will need to power cycle your Wii, using the console power button.
12. If you receive "ERROR: Could not initialize USB subsystem (ret = -1)", then your USB device is NOT supported!
13. If you receive a WARNING that no WBFS partitions are found, your drive IS supported!
14. Press the "A" button, to format a partition. (WARNING:: Formatting a partition will delete EVERYTHING from that partition. Be sure to backup any important data, BEFORE pressing "A".)
15. The next screen will allow you to choose the partition you wish to format. Select the partition, and press "A".
16. After formatting is complete, you will be presented with a games list (currently blank). The screen will also show the amount of used space, and the free space remaining (There is currently a small bug, in the free and used space listings. The correct size is not shown, but it still can be used.)
17. Insert a Wii game disc you wish to backup.
18. Press the "+" button, to backup the disc. (Depending on the game, a disc can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 45 minutes to backup. Example: Carnival Games only took 58 seconds!)
19. Once the backup process has completed, press any button, to return to the game selection screen.
20. Eject your game disc.
21. Select your game from the game list, and press "A".
22. Your game should load, and be fully playable, from the USB device!!
NOTE: Some games will backup successfully, however will still require the disc to be inserted during gameplay (This appears to be another bug).
Last edited by DiddyDave; 31st March, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
pjrg (20th December, 2013)
I installed this with system menu 4.0 and works perfectly. Thanks!
jelenko75 (31st October, 2013)
i just tried the usb loader and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the tut.
How do you create the channel for USB Loader? There is a 1.1 version out now. Thanks!
Does it load games that you already downloaded from the net?(iso format). Thanks
Digital Kaos - Downloads - WBFS Injector
Then plug your USB Key or drive from the wii in to your pc DONT FORMAT IT just close the box. The run the WBFS program the click add iso and then just wait.
I'm currently running Wii System Menu 3.1E and am reluctant to update to the new version 4 update. Is there any way to update manually to version 3.3E (or 3.4E so I can downgrade to 3.3E).
The reason for the upgrade to 3.3E is I tried to load the USB Loader but get error messages saying unable to find the USB subsystem.
I can confirm that this is working on my Wii just great. All I need now is the channel download.
Found the solution for the above problem but there's more problem I cant seem to install the CIOS installer at all, it keep gives me error. My network is initialized. Is it something to do with my menu system coz Im on 3.2E???? Has anybody got the CIOS Installer as WAD file? Any help or suggestion is welcome. Thanks again
Last edited by Yumraaj; 3rd April, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Is there a maximum size HD the Wii can handle? Looking at getting this if it's any good....
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Drivestation-500GB-External-Drive/dp/B001EKW0O4/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LQA652&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL 5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0MWJ761EZZZWNSV2N4HS]Buffalo Drivestation 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
Does it work on 4.0?
what format does the drive need to be in before connecting to the wii for USB Loader to recognise it? FAT32 or NTFS!!! Thanks.