Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Port wont forward to dreambox dm500s

Dreambox DM500s Router: Linksys WRT54G2 OS: Windows 7 64 bit Firewall: Windows ...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Port wont forward to dreambox dm500s

Dreambox DM500s
    Router: Linksys WRT54G2
    Firewall: Windows firewall, Comodo Firewall

Hi,
    I've been having trouble with this for a few months now, so I think its time I seeked help. I have trawled forums to no avail.

Im trying to forward a port in the router to my dreambox. I have gone into the router setup, and configured everything there (see screenshot attachment). I put 12000 as an example in the screenshot, Im gonna be using a different port number.

I have also gone into windows firewall, and comodo firewall and allowed the port through.

However, when I test to see if the port is open, it tells me that it is closed. I have heard that there are a lot of problems with port forwarding on windows 7 64 bit. However it may just be the router.

I have set a staic IP for my computer, and also for the Dreambox.

I dont know what else to do, please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidom2513; 20th January, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

the windows wont have any bearing on the router forwarding ports to the dreambox

basically , you forward 12000 to the dreambox fixed ip address , with both TCP and UDP , and allow wan to open it

if the dreambox is actually using say cccam or oscam and the port is set to open , and if the outgoing cs is running , the dreambox will open the port and cs

if no active emu is running the port will be closed as the dm hasnt opened it

so you need an active emu to tell the dm to open the port , otherwise its shut by default

same applies with torrents , your torrent program opens the port when you are sending stuff

no port has to be opened when receiving , just sending

just remember you are forwarding the port to the dm so it can open it , so its being FORWARDED , not OPENED

then run cccam or oscam and set the port you are activating , so that the emu opens the port due to sending cs

hope that helps
    Last edited by ramjet; 20th January, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply

I have ccam 2.2.1 running on the dreambox

I have no cs running at the moment

So are you saying that if someone tried to access my server then the port will open and let them in, but otherwise the port will be closed

Is that what you mean, or did I misinterpret?

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davidom2513 View Post
    Thanks for the reply

I have ccam 2.2.1 running on the dreambox

I have no cs running at the moment

So are you saying that if someone tried to access my server then the port will open and let them in, but otherwise the port will be closed

Is that what you mean, or did I misinterpret?
    no , its the other way round

if you are using a card and actively sending out on F lines , the dm will open the port in order to send from cccam

if you have no F lines , and/or no card , so are not actively sending stuff , the port remains closed

ie:- its only open for the time you are sending and they are connected , not all the time and definitely not if you are only receiving and not sending

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I get you now, so if I put a f line into my ccam and then check the port again I will know.

I was also have one more question:
    I set up a no-ip host, but I was wondering what ip addres do I put in. I read somewhere that I put in the address of my router. So, I put in the local ip of my router, 192.168.1.1 is this correct?

And then in a friends cline I would put: myserver.zapto.org.no-ip.com
    Is that correct?

Thanks a lot ramjet, I have spent so long trying to figure all these things out
    Last edited by davidom2513; 20th January, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davidom2513 View Post
    Ok I get you now, so if I put a f line into my ccam and then check the port again I will know.

I was also have one more question:
    I set up a no-ip host, but I was wondering what ip addres do I put in. I read somewhere that I put in the address of my router. So, I put in the local ip of my router, 192.168.1.1 is this correct?

And then in a friends cline I would put: myserver.zapto.org.no-ip.com
    Is that correct?

Thanks a lot ramjet, I have spent so long trying to figure all these things out
    dyndns and no-ip require your router ( or pc ) to login periodically and inform them of your actual ISP ip address , not your router ip

your friend would have your hostname , port , name and password in his line , so he connects to no-ip , and is forwarded to your server as the host knows your isp ip address

the router then forwards it to the port server ( your dm )

I think you need more than just an F line as I think you would have to have the emu sending from a card , worth a try without a card but I am assuming it needs an active cs going out 9 not just an F line in the cfg )

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thats great, I understand. Thanks a lot

Do you know how to set up a cs proxy or do you think its worth it?

And what do you think is safer, private or payservers. And how can you maximise the safety
    Last edited by davidom2513; 20th January, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
    ...if no active emu is running the port will be closed as the dm hasnt opened it...
    Thats not quite correct. If you open a port on the majority of routers then its open regardless of what the dreambox is doing. When the dreambox isn't running cs the port is still open even though the dreambox isn't responding. External internet requests are still allowed through the router and inside your network - they just wont get a response as the server isn't running. The router itself doesn't know or care if a server is actually listening it will simply do as its told and route all traffic for a particular port to the given device.

In that respect port forwarding is the permanent opening of a port and the routing of that port to a specific internal NAT address. If you want 'triggered' port opening then it will generally be under a different name ('application rules' or somesuch name) but that will rarely work with a standard server as they mostly just sit there and listen for requests, they never actually initiate requests (thus they cant trigger anything).

To a large extent you can consider port forwarding to be a limited version of a DMZ where only a single port (or specified range of ports) is left open and routed to a specified device instead of all ports.
    Last edited by TheCoder; 20th January, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you suggest I should do TheCoder? Have you any ideas that I could try to get the port to open? I had my hopes up that I was almost there :/

I have followed all the guides religiously, so it is very odd that the port is not open, its very frustrating

Would it be a router error or is there a way around this.

Because from what you have said my setup will not work until the port is opened
    Last edited by davidom2513; 20th January, 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I bother trying port triggering? Or would I be wasting my time? I found it here in the router settings?

Or what do you suggest I do?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why not just try a different port number? Closer to 12000

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried 12000 there and it won't open either

Any other ideas would be very much appreciated

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some routers seem to have problems opening high-numbered ports. I'd be inclined to try a port number below 1024 - you could try something around 915.

Generally Linksys routers tend to do what they are supposed to do so I suspect your problem is a misconfiguration of something somewhere.

Does the router know you've set static ip's on devices ?

As well as filling in ip details on the devices themselves you'll also need to inform the router that those devices are pre-allocated to ip's (usually by giving the router their mac addresses and ip address). You may also need to allocate addresses outside of the modems dhcp pool but within your subnet (ie, if your modem allocates ip's 192.168.123.100-199, then use 192.168.123.1-99 for your static addresses) - this ensures the modem doesn't try to allocate one of your statics to another device.

How are you testing if the port is actually open ?

Very few applications can tell the difference between a closed port and an open port with unresponsive server. If you can tell this difference then you'' likely be able to spot the fault easier as it will point to either router configuration or dreambox server configuration.

DK Veteran
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Open Port Check Tool is the site I use , and I have several ports forwarded to various boxes , with 2 to my dreambox , both dm ports are currently open and it says SUCCESS in green , the others are firmly closed

so what I wrote earlier is my experience of this both when setting it up and when testing ports for cs

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I havent told the router that I have set staic ip addresses. Is this the screen I use to do it? (see screenshot below)

My dreambox is set as 192.168.1.25 and my computer is set at 192.168.1.104

This is what I'm using to test if the port is open: Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router

Let me know if thats the right screen to fill the static ip's on

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast