Register

setting up usb hdd

This is the way I setup usb hdd on my dreambox dm800 ...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default setting up usb hdd

This is the way I setup usb hdd on my dreambox dm800 nabilosat image.

1. make sure the hdd is formatted vfat. ext3 didn't work for some reason. kept bringing up unable to initialize hardware error.
    2. mount the hdd. In my case the hdd was not being mounted through fstab. So using telenet logged into the box and made a script with the command 'mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd'. You need to change sda1 to the appropriate device name for your box. Search /dev for that. Place this script in /usr/script/ . Next, run the script by pressing the green button->blue button->select script and press OK to run. Now the hdd is mounted.
    3. make sure you have a directory called 'movie'(without the quotes) on your hdd. If not present make one. /media/hdd/movie
    4. Now press the red button on the remote and hopefully the hdd would be ready for recording.
    5. In my case I need to run the mount script each time I have rebooted the dreambox.

Has anybody mounted a usb hdd via fstab. A post on how to do that would be appreciated. I searched hard but nothing worked for me.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alri m8, I also have a dm800 flashed with nabilosat blackhole image and an external hdd,
    Unfortunately i have the same problem when rebooting, thats why i just leave the box on standby, however if i do need to reboot,
    To initialize the hdd again i go to menu/setup/system/harddisk/initialization and follow the on-screen instructions, all in all it takes less than a minute.
    But if anyone else can throw any more info it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

if your using an external USB drive you need to install enigma2-plugin-extensions-usb2hdd_0.1.6_mipsel.ipk this will create all the links needed for recording/playback to usb drive.

ST10

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Walkinmyshadow View Post
    Alri m8, I also have a dm800 flashed with nabilosat blackhole image and an external hdd,
    Unfortunately i have the same problem when rebooting, thats why i just leave the box on standby, however if i do need to reboot,
    To initialize the hdd again i go to menu/setup/system/harddisk/initialization and follow the on-screen instructions, all in all it takes less than a minute.
    But if anyone else can throw any more info it would be appreciated.

My USB hard disk is not recognised as a hard disk but as a USB device. So it can't be initialised as above.

another way to make the hdd mount at startup would be to put add the mount command at the end of the /etc/bootup or the /etc/init.d/rcS file.

mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd

The 'sda1' is your USB HDD which may be different on each system.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ST10 View Post
    if your using an external USB drive you need to install enigma2-plugin-extensions-usb2hdd_0.1.6_mipsel.ipk this will create all the links needed for recording/playback to usb drive.

ST10
    Thanks for directing to this package. I didn't try it to install it as I wasn't sure if it would format my harddisk before applying the settings. I had been bitten once before when using Barry Allen which formatted my USB HDD without any warning whatsoever. Also, my hdd is fomatted fat32 and it's mentioned this package needs ext3 formatting.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lincra View Post
    My USB hard disk is not recognised as a hard disk but as a USB device. So it can't be initialised as above.

another way to make the hdd mount at startup would be to put add the mount command at the end of the /etc/bootup or the /etc/init.d/rcS file.

The 'sda1' is your USB HDD which may be different on each system.
    Thanks to lincra!!
    I have a USB HDD formatted fat32 and rebooting the 800 always resulted in needing to re-initialise the hdd and hence losing any recordings (made me very popular in my house!!).

For the 800 use the /etc/init.d/rcS file and add mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd at the very bottom of the above file.

I have rebooted the 800 a few times now and the recordings remain ... what a relief!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have another strange problem

as soon as I insert a 320GB 2,5" seagate HDD
    into the DM800 clone box it is not recognized anymore
    by the Gemini 4.6 image
    dangling outside of the box it works fine
    I tried with rubber grommets etc.
    the screws to hold the HDD in the DM800 create a short circuit

please provide some suggestions

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi i also have this problem of 4.6 not seeing my hdd i tried the above mods and still no joy could this be because i have the hdd in the esata socket on the 800 so do i need a slightly diff change to the line
    thanks
    joe

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I attached a 500gb usb external drive to my DM800 running the Blackhole image. It seemed to automatically recognise it was there but nothing was being recorded. The hdd is formatted as ext3 which I've read elsewhere is correct for this.

I followed this bit of advice:-
    For the 800 use the /etc/init.d/rcS file and add mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd at the very bottom of the above file.
    which I did and uploaded via DCC.

I then did a reset from the menus and the box froze at the sunflower picture.

I now can't get past the point of
    dhcp...
    /flash/vmlinux.gz
    on the display. It's now gone to a dhcp ip address and I can't connect to it with DCC.

I've read that I might be able to get it working by flashing with DreamUp but I can't find any instructions on how to work it and it doesn't seem to have any options to pick an image file to flash.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I managed to flash the box with a new Black hole image.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

That seems to have worked for me adding that line

Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 800HD

Have a HDD 250GB which I initialised in my 800HD.
    However I cannot record anything as it goes to the 100MB of the flash.
    How I telnet 'mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd', then Place this script in /usr/script/. probably a step by step guide would be
    a great help. Is there anybody who can support me.
    By the way I have a general knowledge of the DCC software.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I followed the advice of going to the file located in...

/etc/init.d/rcS

and then adding the below at the end of the file

I then restarted the box and FTP in and created a movie folder on the HDD and it was then activate and allowed recording.

Wouldnt record until the movie folder was there!

Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

please can anybody do a step by step guide for a noob only had my box a couple of week its a dm 800 hd box i have a 8gig usb stick and i have dcc if anybody can do a step by step guide to get this working for a noob i would really apreciate thanks a lot

craig