And if you dispise the Vista telnet client you can always install the open source PuTTYtel which is far better IMHO:
this might help some people who need to telnet using vista ============================================ ...
this might help some people who need to telnet using vista
By default, Vista doesn't install the Telnet client. The client is for text-based communication with remote systems. You can install it by following these steps:
1. Click Start then select Control Panel.
2. Select Programs and Features.
3. Select Turn Windows features on or off.
4. Select the Telnet Client option.
5. Click OK.
6. A dialog box will appear to confirm installation. The telnet command should now be available.