206 + Galletto - Swapping Maps???
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 206 + Galletto - Swapping Maps???

Hi

I have been reading up on some of the Galletto tools on ebay and came accross this when looking at which vehicles they covered:

PEUGEOT IAW 6LPA01 2.0 176 CV ST10280 R/W 206 2.0 16V GTI 176 CV

I take it to mean that it both reads & writes to the ECU and Im guessing by the 176CV, that its the GTI180??

Is it possible to copy the map from one car and write it straight to another? Assuming the car it is being copied from has been remapped professionally and we would like to copy this tuned map file to another car with the same spec?

Regards
    T-T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody know??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anybody tried anything similar??

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I didn't. I believe in paying for a good product. The tuner put in a lot of effort and money to develop the software and has a right to be paid for every sale. He has to earn back his expenses by selling multiple files.
    You don't work for nothing either, now do you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good point.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ethics aside, reading a ROM and writing it to another ECU is trivial. I used to tune a lot of cars this way, do a base map tune on one car then copy it to other cars and tweak a little bit to ensure no knock and good AFR's

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Shamen, I would like to see you do that with one of my old-fashioned eproms. I would like to see your face when you test-drive the car with low turbo-boost, a rev limit at 4000 rpm and an engine stall after some time - depending on driving style 20 minutes to an hour.
    I don't think anyone can sell much (if any) of these copied eproms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wasnt implying i was copying anyones rom, read my post again. I was answering the OP - yes its possible to read a rom you have written and put it into another car when flashing with a cable. Note i specifically said "do a base map tune on one car then copy it to other cars" not "steal someone elses tune". Could he take a modified flash, written to his original ECU, read it and write it to a car of the same type and same ECU? The answer is yes, but its just not ethical or fun (unless he made the original modifications in the first place, of course)

That aside, even if you put boost cut, RPM limit or other items into your custom EEPROM I doubt anyone would be silly enough to try to copy that custom rom and put it onto a stock ECU using a dump file and a flashing cable, its two different things - a custom eprom chip vs a flashable stock ECU (though im not sure why the OP's 206 180 ECU would have a Eprom chip replacement when its quite flashable as it is wihtout opening it up and putting it on a bench). I remember when I had my car tuned by EcuTek years ago I was told I couldnt unlock my rom to tune it further myself unless they flashed it back to stock. Load of tosh really considering all I had to do was go through each init code until i found the right combo - it was still just a stock rom with modified tables underneath just locked by the init vector. *shrug*

I dont condone copying other peoples maps - lets get that clear - heck why would you, half the fun of this is making your own maps and figuring this out for yourself. But I do condone copying your own maps as many times as you like, onto as many cars of the same type as you like. Saved me hours everyt ime i tuned a new car, i just pluggedin my modified map as a baseline and went from there. I should also add i fully condone modifying other peoples maps when they have been written to your car, if someone tunes my car and i change the mods later on, im sure as hell within my rights to modify that rom and do what i want to it. I just wont copy it anywhere else.

square now? or will further handbags be produced?
    Last edited by shamen; 20th May, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

So, you are behaving very ethical. Nice to here.
    But I've found too many of my Eproms copied even if they had encryption, and the copiers called themselves professional tuners. They had to have some electronics knowledge, otherwise you could not crack the encryption.
    So, I switched to the above mentioned method wherever possible. I also always swap around the maps, insert dummy maps and so on to prevent copying of maps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

some good methods there. You should see inside the evo ECU, i think theres something like 500 (i dont honestly recall the exact figure) different maps. At first we thought they were decoys, but it seems the evo does actually use each one when in closed loop as reference points, depending on various factors of the current operating parameters.

Thankfully it only used two maps in open loop - one low octane map and one high octane map. So while i was able to tune it for open loop, closed loop economy was a bitch (till we found the handy little setting which told the ecu at which load/RPM to go open loop. Once i had that i stuck them in open loop above 2k rpm and that way could tune for economy too).

Sadly with modern day tech there is just no way to fully lock down your maps when using a flashed stock rom, once you know what to read its easy. Of course, using your own eprom / piggyback is different and a few fuses can do the trick depending on the chip you are using. I havent played with actual physical chips in along time thanks to modern day flashable ecus but i would imagine a lot more is possible, such as encryption, with the current power of programmable chips nowerdays.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts

Interchanging of Flashable or non flashable is a No No!!!
    No way for it to work 100% ...
    Is a different think to copy a map that proved to work (under the same mechanical conditions...) and a completely different and wrong practice to copy the complete ROM... to a different car even though is the same model.
    Professionals who respect their customers their work and reputation will work on the original virgin stock dump.

Speedy100
    Knowledge is to share... so if I have helped just press [Thank You + Rep.]...