Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How can I dump a w168 msm ecu? What tools?

Can anyone advice how to dump this ecu? I have p0100 error that is not due to MAF. Ecu Testing told “internal software” problem. I believe they are referring to the fw, they told it’s unrepairable for them. What can I do ? Any idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Did you replace or tested the maf or checked wiring from ecu to the component
    If internal ecu problem then maybe sw update from xentry solves this problem.
    And how do the people know its the ecu itself because that is kind of simple to say ??
    And does the car start or what is exactly the problem. Because if car works fine you can do alot of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jay443 View Post
    Did you replace or tested the maf or checked wiring from ecu to the component
    If internal ecu problem then maybe sw update from xentry solves this problem.
    And how do the people know its the ecu itself because that is kind of simple to say ??
    And does the car start or what is exactly the problem. Because if car works fine you can do alot of things.
    The unit was sent for testing / repair to ecu testing. Usually they replace the sensors on the mafs. The car starts , it has p0100 stored. Car burns a lot of petrol and also the readings of intake air temperature are incorrect. Some Times Revs go up and down between 500 and 1000 while idling.
    at Ecu Testing they said unit is unrepairable due to “internal software damage”, they were not specific on that and they didn’t give any information when asked. I asked why they didn’t try to copy to another ecu and they told copying of this unit is unreliable. I will get it back tomorrow. There must be a way to correct the fw but how ?
    Last edited by chriz74; 1st March, 2023 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What ecu is it, brand? Model? Sw? Hw? If i may ask.
    And what tools do you got, can you do bdm or bootmode by yourself ?
    And where are you located ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It’s MSM VDO model A16615003790, should be siemens. I may have more info from when I owned an MB Star C3. At the moment I only got an obd scan tool. I’m in Italy.
    Last edited by chriz74; 1st March, 2023 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This ecu is easy to read and write on bench mode.
    I think the people who you brought it to, are a little lazy.
    Because every tuner can do this ecu without problem, and ofcourse every computer or ecu is actualy a risk, because you can brick it at any moment, even static electricity from the hands can be enough.
    If they say its diffucult or unreliable they can better not touch any kind of ecu or components of any kind of car hahah.
    If i was you i wil find a good tuning company with good tools, because this ecu can easily be benched.
    I saw with fvdi you have to solder 2 resistors and then you can bench it, looks kind of simple to me...
    If you can ship the ecu out of italy i can give you good adresses but i only know people in germany and holland.
    So let me know if i can do something for you...
    Last edited by jay443; 1st March, 2023 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Or you can buy a xentry and flash a new ecu via obd, or you need to buy a tool that let you bench the ecu...
    But benching is risky if you have never done it, or don't have a background with working that kind of way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Xentry doesn’t work with this ECU, the sw was DAS with c3 or c4 multiplexer. I see clones of fvdi on AliExpress do they work? Also what is the process there? Reading the fw and then what? Hex modding ? Copying data over a virgin fw? And what data? Also how is it even possible that a fw “corruption” throws a p0100 error? Ideas?
    Last edited by chriz74; 2nd March, 2023 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Clones i dont recommend but you can try at own risk...
    Proces with fvdi is to bench it, you have to solder 2 resistors on the ecu motherboard.
    I think every tool have a diffrent way to read write, so first buy a tool then look how you need to do this.
    You need to do full backup of the ecu and copy it to a new ecu with matching sw hw.
    I also don't believe the fw is corrupt, not by itself, someone must have done this...
    But if car not works properly you have to find out where the fault came from. Because if you clone this ecu and the problem is realy in the fw the problem still appears im affraid..
    Maybe you can try to get ori sw / fw from somewhere, i really dont know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Isn’t there a way to fix a corrupt firmware ? Maybe getting a virgin clean fw and copying only data regarding chassis etc ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Got news from ECU testing. They say their MB bench system doesn’t read mafs data from the ecu and this means hw/sw problem. Also it doesn’t pass tests for repair.
    Last edited by chriz74; 2nd March, 2023 at 12:39 PM.