Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deep-fried fish in beer batter and chips

1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and preheat the dripping or oil to 120C/250F.
    2. For the chips, peel the potatoes and cut into whatever size you prefer. Wash well in cold water, drain and pat dry with a clean tea towel. Put the potatoes into the fryer and allow them to fry gently for about 8-10 minutes, until they are soft but still pale. Check they're cooked by piercing with a small, sharp knife. Lift out of the pan and leave to cool slightly on greaseproof paper.
    3. Increase the heat of the fryer to 180C/350F.
    4. Season the fish and dust lightly with flour; this enables the batter to stick to the fish.
    5. To make the batter, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl and whisk in the lager to give a thick batter, adding a little extra beer if it seems over-thick. It should be the consistency of very thick double cream and should coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and thickly coat 2 of the fillets with the batter. Carefully place in the hot fat and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan, drain and sit on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, then keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining 2 fillets in the same way.
    6. Once the fish is cooked, return the chips to the fryer and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy. Shake off any excess fat and season with salt before serving with the crispy fish. If liked, you can serve with tinned mushy peas and bread and butter, for the authentic experience!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

now that to me young man looks like a lovely recipe

i mean to get mrs cantona to cook this for me at her ealiest opportunity

when the sea gulls follow the trawler,it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not being sexist or nothing, and while Mrs Cantona may be the greatest cook in the world, I believe that Fish 'n' Chips, like curries and Barbeques, need to be done by a man. It may have something to do with womens hormones leaking out over the food i dunno,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shady77 View Post
    not being sexist or nothing, and while Mrs Cantona may be the greatest cook in the world, I believe that Fish 'n' Chips, like curries and Barbeques, need to be done by a man. It may have something to do with womens hormones leaking out over the food i dunno,
    Yes I would agree with you there Shady!
    Thankfully theres no marmite in this one!!

The Falkirk Wheel. The only rotating boat lift of its kind in the world

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are you disrespecting the yeasty black marvel?
    i am dumbfounded!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

am thinking will get wifey to cook this fine looking meal tonite me thinks

when the sea gulls follow the trawler,it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had this tonight for my dinner, it was beautiful, just another wee tip I tried though, batter a few of the chips as well, par boil them first and let them cool before dipping them in the batter .....mmmmmmmmm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tip from a chippy man

I run a chippy in lancashire and the best way to make chips at home is: put the kettle on: cut your chips and put into a bowl: cover with boiling water and leave to stand for ten minutes: dry them off with kitchen paper and then fry as normal......works every time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard adding salt to water to soak the cut chips will prevent the cut chips from being oxidized! Be sure to drip-dry or dry chips with paper towel b4 frying.
    Last edited by sloh88; 11th September, 2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: add more info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boy - great recipe. Friday nights fish night so going to try this at home instead of going to the chippy!

Another tip tip for crispy chips is to double fry them in oil. That's how restaurant do it. Fry them once til nearly done and remove and drain. Restaurants do this in the morning ready for lunch and evening service. Pop them back in when you want them and recook to the perfect colour and crispy - then serve and enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Further to my post above chips are best fried at a temperature of 170 centigrade and they are cooked when they float on top of the oil. If you want to double cook them start with a temp of 145 degrees till they are almost done then finish off at 170 degrees

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yer a good old fish and chips is my favourite after a curry..

We all have different recipes of course and i bet that 1 is cracking and will try that.

Here is how i do it.

Chips i do similar to hombre except i parboil them for 5 or 6 minutes on a low heat with some salt added,has gone wrong b4 tho when i boiled the chips too long and my chips went into a mush and i had to start again..annoying having to cut and peel the chips again so i think i will try that boiling water standing trick by hombre.

For the batter i use half and half self raising and plain flour with NO salt, john smiths real ale and ice cold sparkling water also half and half.

Season fish with plenty of sea salt,dip in flour,shake off excess and then into batter..i fry both my chips and fish at 180 degrees but i think i could alter those temperatures.

Home made mushy peas/home made tartare sauce/ketchup/lemon and last but not least a couple of big fat juicy pickles to refresh your pallet....

British food at its best...starving now but i think i will phone 1 in hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

old family recipe? we never had this
    Syntax Error : Integer Out Of Range

Hooray For Tits & Fannies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

We had fish and chips. But if memory serves I just copied and pasted that verbatim

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 2
    Fave replies from various threads

1: What the fff is all that about??? All that crap below your reply I mean, get a life mate
    2: no info on google abt the pace sv5 rang asda they have no idea what i was talking about,
    3: Your total contribution to this forum, bordering on trolling, seems to have been a collection of snipes, one liners & asterisked expletives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tomorrow is my friend's birthday and he loves fish recipes. I will cook this fish recipe for him. Am sure he likes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast