Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2010 Jetta MK5 USA cluster swap

Hi, all
    I have a 2010 Jetta with a black and white mid-line cluster 5M0920960E. I have done some research and it seems that the cluster can be replaced with a high-line cluster 5M0920970. I have also read about successful swaps with 5N0 clusters (from tiguan) with a mod to switch from electronic to mechanical parking brake. I know that it was possible to swap older clusters with pin code and vcds, but it is not the case with newer ones.
    It seems that this task can be achieved with different tools vvdi, fvdi, avdi, odis with online. I know I can ship off my old cluster, key and new cluster and have it all done for me. But... I will be missing satisfaction of achieving something new and exciting myself. I am not a car repair professional, but this is something that I would like to explore as a hobby.
    I would appreciate if someone points me into the direction of what inexpensive tool (tools) I can purchase to be able to read dash eeprom, extract immo data, add new key etc.
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will answer my own questions:
    SVCI 2020 can read all data from MM5 cluster. SVCI firmware needs to be updated to latest version for VAG38 to work.
    Replacement cluster has to be not older than 2014. There are 2 options on how to put replacement cluster into a service mode: apply ground to pin pad according to the illustration in SVCI or use CH341A programmer with a clip on to read and write modified eeprom.
    Following data needs to be copied out from MM5 cluster: immo id, cs1, cs2, pin, mac, power class. There is an issue when VAG38 app misreads the MAC. VAG 38 reads MAC as AABBCCDD. VAG 24 reads it as AABBDDCC. Use MAC from VAG24.
    In case the the new cluster is from Tiguan eeprom needs to be edited to switch to 1 fuel sensor and mechanical parking brake. 2 resistors needs to be removed and 1 diod and resistor added for mechanical parking brake to light up correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@H2deeToo ?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts

I answered in his other topic, but he succeeded already it seems