Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Default Bosch EDC15 - no lp fuel signal

Hello!

I have Citroen Jumper 2.8HDI, make year 2003 with Bosch EDC15 ECU. The van runs OK from cold, then starts to loose power and does not go over 3000 rpm for few moments and finally it just dies. Then it does not want to start again, even if I crank if for a long time. The signal from ECU to low pressure pump relay comes only for a moment when I turn the ignition on, and then immediately goes off (the pump does not even begin to work). If i wait for about 5 minutes, I get normal, stable signal to relay and I can hear the low pressure pump operating - at this point, the van start with no problem. It looks like something is overheating or there is some bad connection in the ECU ... does anyone know more about this?

Oh - and there are several fault codes stored, which cannot be erased (3rd piston cutoff valve - which is new, rail pressure sensor - which is also new).

Thanks for help in advance!

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

No one knows what could be the problem?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

have you changed the fuel pump relay.? or bridged the terminals and see if the pump works.
    7.31sec@203.3mph

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have seen thi s problem in citroen dv4, this is a problem of injectors, but first change your fuel filter, if wont work again you mmut do an internet update the dealer

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by busaman View Post
    have you changed the fuel pump relay.? or bridged the terminals and see if the pump works.
    Yes, I even put direct connection from battery to low pressure pump. The van ran fine for few minutes, and then it died as usual (the low pressure pump was working after the engine stopped, because it was connected directly to the battery of course).

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albanais View Post
    I have seen thi s problem in citroen dv4, this is a problem of injectors, but first change your fuel filter, if wont work again you mmut do an internet update the dealer
    I've replaced fuel filter with the new one in the first place. I have also sent injectors for testing - they are OK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Did you check the flow regulator on the pump, can you please tell me if the engin works badly and it has strong explosions while accelerating, you know injection noise. If is true your fuel flow regulator is dead
    Regards
    Last edited by Albanais; 29th March, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Did you check the flow regulater on the pump, can yuo please tell me if the engin works badly and it has strong explosions while accelerating, you know injection noise. If is true your fuel flow regulator is dead
    Regards

I have also seen poor contact between ecu s and actuators,so you have more resistance and the problems like the ones as described....

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Did you check the flow regulator on the pump, can you please tell me if the engin works badly and it has strong explosions while accelerating, you know injection noise. If is true your fuel flow regulator is dead
    Regards
    The engine runs perfect for some time ... then it looses power (like when there is a fault with MAF sensor), but still runs smooth and after some time it just dies down. I've sent the ECU to be checked now, will post results.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    147 Posts

Default hi

Here is the case.Ive recently had 220cdi van with the same issue.The symptoms you explain says it is the crankshaft sensor or the ecu itself.In my case it was the ecu.The van runs then it dies .Put kts520 one time injector1 next time injector4 next time injector3 and so on.Checked the injectors ok check the plugs of the injectors ok(check this because if there is only one with bad connection it wont start) checked everything ok.Replaced the crappy edc15 common rail ecu and now everything is ok. The first thing you should try is the crank sensor because he always fails when hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omglol View Post
    Hello!

there are several fault codes stored, which cannot be erased (3rd piston cutoff valve - which is new, rail pressure sensor - which is also new).

If the fuel pressure is low then you will have this fault. Have you checked the fuel pressure. If the ecu thinks the fuel pressure is low you will have this fault. Have you checked the sensor, & continuity checked the loom from the sensor & that of the cutoff valve. Have you checked the voltages also. You should also run a scope on the sensor for the period it takes to from good to faulty. Have you checked the egr valve for coaking up as this also causes this fault as it warms up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello!

I have Citroen Jumper 2.8HDI, make year 2003 with Bosch EDC15 ECU. The van runs OK from cold, then starts to loose power and does not go over 3000 rpm for few moments and finally it just dies. Then it does not want to start again, even if I crank if for a long time. The signal from ECU to low pressure pump relay comes only for a moment when I turn the ignition on, and then immediately goes off (the pump does not even begin to work). If i wait for about 5 minutes, I get normal, stable signal to relay and I can hear the low pressure pump operating - at this point, the van start with no problem. It looks like something is overheating or there is some bad connection in the ECU ... does anyone know more about this?

Oh - and there are several fault codes stored, which cannot be erased (3rd piston cutoff valve - which is new, rail pressure sensor - which is also new).

Well First of all change filters... I see you've already done it, so try to suspend them. then you should check the return quantity of each injector. If it is more than 30% unbalanced you should replace injectors. If ok, then check if the return line is restricted. If its ok then think about this: The car starts to "regulate" the speed because there is a signal of low fuel pressure in the rail. This could happen because the pressure sensor is wrong, the cables from the sensor to de edc are wrong, the pump is wrong, or the injectors are wrong. Hope this can help.
    SOME PEOPLE SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE AND SAY WHY... I DREAM THINGS THAT NEVER WERE AND SAY.... WHY NOT????

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

UPDATE:

I have found out that Fuse #11 (15A) in the Engine Compartment is blown off. Moreover, the wiring connected to this fuse is in short circuit, as it keeps blowing the fuse even after I disconnected everything attached to it (3rd piston shutoff valve, fuel heater relay and glow plugs relay). I've cut the wire that goes from 3rd piston shutoff valve to #11 fuse and fixed a new wire between 3rd piston shutoff valve and 30 (ignition) current, while leaving the part that goes to the old (factory) fuse unconnected (to keep it off short circuiting). I can now delete the 3rd piston fault code with no problem! Even the "Check Engine" light extinguishes after I start the engine! However, the behaviour of the van remais the same. I start the engine - everything OK, "Check Engine" light extinguishes and the van goes completely normal for a while - i.e. has excellent acceleration capabilities. As soon as I rev it over 3000 rpm the "Check Engine" light comes on - 3rd piston cutoff valve fault - and if I keep revving it the engine just dies. If I connect it to diag tester I can see 2 fault codes - 3rd piston shutoff valve and Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (pressure too low). Is it possible that short circuit damaged the ECU so now it is behaving weird?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

UPDATE:

I have found out that Fuse #11 (15A) in the Engine Compartment is blown off. Moreover, the wiring connected to this fuse is in short circuit, as it keeps blowing the fuse even after I disconnected everything attached to it (3rd piston shutoff valve, fuel heater relay and glow plugs relay). I've cut the wire that goes from 3rd piston shutoff valve to #11 fuse and fixed a new wire between 3rd piston shutoff valve and 30 (ignition) current, while leaving the part that goes to the old (factory) fuse unconnected (to keep it off short circuiting). I can now delete the 3rd piston fault code with no problem! Even the "Check Engine" light extinguishes after I start the engine! However, the behaviour of the van remais the same. I start the engine - everything OK, "Check Engine" light extinguishes and the van goes completely normal for a while - i.e. has excellent acceleration capabilities. As soon as I rev it over 3000 rpm the "Check Engine" light comes on - 3rd piston cutoff valve fault - and if I keep revving it the engine just dies. If I connect it to diag tester I can see 2 fault codes - 3rd piston shutoff valve and Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (pressure too low). Is it possible that short circuit damaged the ECU so now it is behaving weird?
    You practically done mate, yuo need now to stqrt the engin and leave it working till the fans switch on,than switch off ignition and aftewords no more problem, this is common for fiat

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

You practically done mate, yuo need now to stqrt the engin and leave it working till the fans switch on,than switch off ignition and aftewords no more problem, this is common for fiat
    Hi ... well, this is Citroen actually, although quite the same as Fiat Ducato. Anyway, I've done what u said - I have started the engine and left it running for over half an hour - the engine didn't heat up enough to start the fans ... so I revved it to about 1800 rpm until the fans started, I waited for them to stop and then I stopped the engine.

Then I went for a test ride. The van runs PERFECT if I don't push it over about 2200 rpm ... I've made 10 km without any problems (driving below 2200 rpm). If I push it over about 2200 rpm, the Check Engine light comes on and the engine looses power (two fault codes appear - 3rd piston cutoff valve and Fuel Rail Pressure sensor). From here on I have 2 options - if I keep pushing, the engine dies (to start it again I have to wait for about a minute or clear the fault codes). If I clear the fault codes with the engine running, it immediately runs normal again.

One more thing - how is it 3rd pistol cutoff valve supposed to work? Mine engages as soon as I turn ignition on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast