Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default how to reset Toyota smartkey Fob?

As far as I can tell, there is some kind of counter in the Toyota Smartkey fob (used in Prius and some others with smartkey aka SKS systems).

I use an official Toyota handheld diagnostic tool and can always mate virgin fobs from the dealer to a Prius, but used fobs never work.

The fob is only a transmitter, so there is no way the car can alter the fob, but the fob must be sending a count increment as part of its transmission.

I think if the fob has been pressed more than x times (x might be 128?) you cannot mate it to a new vehicle.

Toyota may do this to prevent people from buying used Fobs on Ebay etc.

Can anyone confirm this theory? Or does anyone know how to reset the counter inside the fob itself? or how to get used Fobs to work with a SKS car?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i need that too

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Default prius key for

Quote Originally Posted by baboonia View Post
    As far as I can tell, there is some kind of counter in the Toyota Smartkey fob (used in Prius and some others with smartkey aka SKS systems).

I use an official Toyota handheld diagnostic tool and can always mate virgin fobs from the dealer to a Prius, but used fobs never work.

The fob is only a transmitter, so there is no way the car can alter the fob, but the fob must be sending a count increment as part of its transmission.

I think if the fob has been pressed more than x times (x might be 128?) you cannot mate it to a new vehicle.

Toyota may do this to prevent people from buying used Fobs on Ebay etc.

Can anyone confirm this theory? Or does anyone know how to reset the counter inside the fob itself? or how to get used Fobs to work with a SKS car?

happen to me lot of times you can always do the first remote even if is used but not the second one second needs to be new virgin but in cases where all keys are lost just do the first one used it work right out i have try second and third gen prius no issues at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

yes eddyy is right we are here use 80% used remotes for Toyota . its no issue and we are check this till models 2012 American and euro models

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You need to delete all the smart key programed in to the car and then programing again. You can do this with techstream and the icc calculator.