Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Is there a way to find my key number? Citroen C1

Hello,

An online locksmith said he can cut a key more accurately if I provide a key number (not the security key code), which ranges between 40000 - 49999.

The car is Citroen C1 (and it's the same for Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108)

Is there a way I can find this key number to tell him?

He might be able to find the actual key number from a photo I send but I want to be sure that I have the actual number as well if possible

Thanks

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,281 Posts

There are 3 ways you can generally find out a key number

1) use a lishi Toy48 4 lifter 2in1 pick and decoder to pick and decode the lock
    2) remove the lock , strip it down and read the numbers off of the wafers
    3) buy the key code from the citroen main dealership

other options that exist that include

1) calling out a locksmith with the correct pick and decoder to pick and decode the lock
    2) maybe post a clear photo of your key here and someone may site read the key for you

maybe look for another locksmith , if you have sent him a clear picture of the key a locksmith should be able to read the cuts on the key , after all theres only 3 cut heights and 10 positions , 5 on each track , if cutting keys to photo is his business he should have no trouble

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

mibaup (29th February, 2024), wuza (1st March, 2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thank you.

As you said - he had no trouble finding a key number of a random Citroen C1 key I found online - I sent him a photo just to ask him if he has something similar, and he replied that he does, and even said "The key number looks like XXXXX".

May I ask - when a locksmith has a photo of the key - does he first try to match it with a key number, and then download a drawing from some database to the cutting machine's computer and then it cuts it just as accurate as can be?

Or, he tries to manually draw lines using the photo which might not be as accurate?

I just wonder if the cutting quality will be perfect because it gets drawing from the database, or "meh" if he tries to do it manually
    Last edited by mibaup; 29th February, 2024 at 08:10 PM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,281 Posts

you are over thinking it a locksmith doesnt need drawings , shouldnt need to draw lines on this key , a competent locksmith will look at the clear picture of the key , and read the cuts on the top track and on the bottom track , they then have the correct cuts for the key , the code is pretty much irrelevent when site reading , some auto locksmiths will verify their site read by checking the cuts on code software to verify a genuine code.

a locksmith with a cut to code machine has 2 options when entering into the machine

1) they can enter the manufacturer code and cut the key
    2) they can enter the direct cuts they have read by eye or by lishi pick and cut the correct key.

if the picture of your key is clear , the locksmith can get the correct cuts to enter into their machine and cut the correct key , the key will be properly cut and accurate .

when dealing with this key its far easier , as this key only uses 3 key heights , so all 10 positions can only be 1 of 3 cuts in each position , so a simpler key to read.

so if he site reads by eye cuts of

track A : 55531
    track B : 11355

he will enter these cuts into his machine and cut the correct key. or he can enter code 40000 and cut same key.

so how accurate the key he cuts is depends on a few factors

1) how competent he is at reading by eye
    2) how clear your photo is
    3) how good his machine is.

if you doubt his competence then bite the bullet and buy the key code from citroen and give him the code .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 1st March, 2024 at 10:26 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

bero (29th March, 2024), mibaup (2nd March, 2024), wuza (1st March, 2024)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mibaup View Post
    May I ask - when a locksmith has a photo of the key - does he first try to match it with a key number, and then download a drawing from some database to the cutting machine's computer and then it cuts it just as accurate as can be?
    Rapid explained it in great detail.
    If you send to this locksmith clear photo of the key(better more than 1) he will site read it and figure out the cuts of the key. Then he will put this numbers(bitting) in his electronic key cutting machine. The machine will cut the blade automatically.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kemaster For This Useful Post:

mibaup (2nd March, 2024)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,091 Posts

Simple, if you are the owner and have all documents in your name go to dealer they will provide you with key code or if you pay more money they will provide original key.
    Tools owned: Hammer, Chisel, Crowbar, Punch, Chainsaw, Cutter and Brain!!!

Did you know People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.

Note:
    All information given is to be used for educational purposes only and should not be taken seriously.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to super jumbe For This Useful Post:

mibaup (2nd March, 2024)

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Thank you.

As you said - he had no trouble finding a key number of a random Citroen C1 key I found online - I sent him a photo just to ask him if he has something similar, and he replied that he does, and even said "The key number looks like XXXXX".

Or, he tries to manually draw lines using the photo which might not be as accurate?

I just wonder if the cutting quality will be perfect because it gets drawing from the database, or "meh" if he tries to do it manually

Sorry but maybe I don’t understand your question.
    I think you will pay after he make a working key! So why are you investigating?

I’ve fix many old C1 and aygo’s and this all have Va2 keys. This keys are many times worn out that on picture you can make fault.
    And lishi works if the locks are good and same like ignition lock (often changed or locksmith before have dismantled the lock)
    and not damaged.
    When I help you
    PUSH on +THANKS and REP or

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hollanda For This Useful Post:

mibaup (2nd March, 2024)

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hollanda View Post
    Sorry but maybe I don’t understand your question.
    I think you will pay after he make a working key! So why are you investigating?

I’ve fix many old C1 and aygo’s and this all have Va2 keys. This keys are many times worn out that on picture you can make fault.
    And lishi works if the locks are good and same like ignition lock (often changed or locksmith before have dismantled the lock)
    and not damaged.
    His is not the old C1 using va2 , his is the newer C1 using toy49 blade and toy48 cut series .

this one needs the toy48 lishi , the toy49 flip blade .

if he posted a clear picture of his key here im sure someone would tell him the cuts , he can buy the code from citroen or an online code broker , it seems alot of faff to save a few quid. a number of threads opened all to get a blade on a key and when advice given still searching for an answer he wants to hear .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 2nd March, 2024 at 10:20 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

mibaup (2nd March, 2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Rapid, thank you for the awesome answer and explanation.

I contacted the main dealer here and they said "no key code sorry, contact one of the authorized service centers for any other solution", and of course calling a few of the authorized centers around me, all said "no sorry we only order the entire key for 200+ euros, no key code".. very annoying

So regarding payment - I have to pay beforehand because I do not want to go to my local locksmiths because they are not willing to help, or can't help - so I am left with the only option to buy from the eBay locksmith - which by the way is also from the UK so seeing that you guys are from the UK here, I believe I can trust him because you are professional

As soon as I can I will upload photos of my keys as you said
    Last edited by mibaup; 2nd March, 2024 at 09:45 PM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,281 Posts

just a few corrections ,

i may be from the uk , but the majority here are not , this forum is made up of locksmiths , vehicle technicians , auto electricians etc etc from all over the world , it has a huge skill set worldwide .

dont for a minute think every locksmith in the uk is professional or competent , they are not , in fact id say in todays market the incompetent and the scammers outweigh the competent locksmiths.

personally i would never advertise on ebay , though some good locksmiths may have listings on ebay , many will be new starts learning .

on the bright side , with this key it will be hard for them to get it wrong .

i understand paying upfront for such a service , but it isnt a large amount so not the end of the world , and if you pay by paypal and by credit card you have 2 levels of protection should the service not be correct , so have nothing to lose , i wouldnt be wasting time looking for alternatives , id send him the photo , pay the fee and get the key , had you done this last week the key would already be on its way i suspect. sometimes overthinking or penny pinching hampers the result and doesnt improve it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

mibaup (3rd March, 2024)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    998 Posts

Rapid please cut and send one blade to him as we all don't have more patience to read the next thread - "How to copy 8A chip for free as no one can do it in his country"

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,281 Posts

there must be someone here in or nearer to israel , ive also given him an email address for a good locksmith in israel , he really needs nothing else .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 3rd March, 2024 at 12:12 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

godfathertwo (3rd March, 2024), Manta1600 (3rd March, 2024), mibaup (3rd March, 2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manta1600 View Post
    Rapid please cut and send one blade to him as we all don't have more patience to read the next thread - "How to copy 8A chip for free as no one can do it in his country"
    What? How did you know? I actually just opened a thread about it earlier, if you could help - here is a link to the thread, thank you

(jk I already have a programmed chip, this time the local locksmith was able to do it)

Quote Originally Posted by rapidlocksmiths View Post
    just a few corrections ,

i may be from the uk , but the majority here are not , this forum is made up of locksmiths , vehicle technicians , auto electricians etc etc from all over the world , it has a huge skill set worldwide .

dont for a minute think every locksmith in the uk is professional or competent , they are not , in fact id say in todays market the incompetent and the scammers outweigh the competent locksmiths.

personally i would never advertise on ebay , though some good locksmiths may have listings on ebay , many will be new starts learning .

on the bright side , with this key it will be hard for them to get it wrong .

i understand paying upfront for such a service , but it isnt a large amount so not the end of the world , and if you pay by paypal and by credit card you have 2 levels of protection should the service not be correct , so have nothing to lose , i wouldnt be wasting time looking for alternatives , id send him the photo , pay the fee and get the key , had you done this last week the key would already be on its way i suspect. sometimes overthinking or penny pinching hampers the result and doesnt improve it.
    got it, and yeah you're right, I will just give it a try
    Last edited by mibaup; 3rd March, 2024 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I finally got the key fob from eBay. I managed to program it to lock/unlock the doors

I even opened the case and replaced the transponder from the other key and the car started! Although it was a big pain in the butt, because the original transponder is glued, with some very strong glue, so I had to scrap it with tweezer for about an hour and even break little pieces of plastic around

(I used the other key to turn the ignition and held the key fob close to the ignition together)

Now I just need to cut the blade. As you said, here is a clear picture of my blade:

Are you able to extract the key code from this photo? Or should I upload more photos with better quality?

Thanks everyone for the help
    Last edited by mibaup; 30th March, 2024 at 04:54 PM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I finally got the key fob from eBay. I managed to program it to lock/unlock the doors

I even opened the case and replaced the transponder from the other key and the car started! Although it was a big pain in the butt, because the original transponder is glued, with some very strong glue, so I had to scrap it with tweezer for about an hour and even break little pieces of plastic around

(I used the other key to turn the ignition and held the key fob close to the ignition together)

Now I just need to cut the blade. As you said, here is a clear picture of my blade:

Attachment 1018980

Are you able to extract the key code from this photo? Or should I upload more photos with better quality?

Thanks everyone for the help
    why not go to your local locksmit and let them cut the key for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast