The Best Pepper Cheese Bread Ever
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Best Pepper Cheese Bread Ever

In a bowl, blend 1 cup flour, the yeast, sugar, salt, and pepper (cheese comes later). Add hot water and shortening. Beat with a spoon 100 strong strokes. Stir in additional flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft but elastic dough. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl but when you squeeze it with your hand you should be able to pull your hand away without too much stickiness. Use your judgment on how much flour it needs, but don't exceed 4 cups total (including the 1 cup from the first direction).

Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for for 10 minutes with a strong push-turn-fold motion.

Place the ball of dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature until dough has doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. You can test if it has risen sufficiently by poking it with a finger; the dent will remain.

Punch the dough down and and work it briefly under your hands to press out bubbles. Spread some cheese over the dough and fold in. Knead for 1 minute and sprinkle on the rest of the cheese as much at a time as you can do until its all in. This is not easy but be persistent, keep folding it in and it will be fine.

Divide the dough in half if you are making small loaves or keep all together if you are making one larger (we always make the larger size). Shape into a loaf roughly the length of the pan you're using. Put the loaf/loaves in pan(s) and cover with wax paper. Leave until center of dough has risen above the loaf pan, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees 15 minutes before baking. Bake until crust is deep brown, 35 minutes. Turn one loaf from its pan and tap the bottom crust with a forefinger. A hard, hollow sound means its done. If the loaves seem to brown too quickly, cover with foil.

Remove bread from oven. Turn from container and let cool. It freezes well and keeps up to 6 months (but you will eat it right away!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks very interesting. I`m going to try this recipe right now !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to bake my own bread for 2 years now and I`m very interested in some new recipes. Please upload some more for me since Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads isn`t available in my country. Thanks in advance !