Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux Box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which Linux Box

Hi Folks,

Can anyone please advise which Linux Sat box is the one to have.

I am looking to upgrade my TM6900 HD with a Linux box that can do more hopefully as well as what the TM does for me so i would like an HD Linux box with RF out, Optical, HDMI, Ethernet, cam slots, card readers, USB slots for disks, unlimited channels, flexible software usage, etc.

What can a Linux box do for me what channels are open if one is purchased is upgrading keys/patches etc similar to a TM box.

I hear talk of Dreamboxes but has anyone got one to advise are they really better than other Linux flavours out there if so which one.

Which one has the best support out there.

Also see TM are about to release TM800HD Linux i don't know how this compares to Dreamboxes.

Any advise info welcome

Thanks in advance.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default VU+ DUO

the best box for you would be the vu+ duo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

A real Dreambox 500 HD or dreambox 800 HD would be the best bet ! and will live on for years to come .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

VU+ DUO or the VU+ SOLO will be the best for your needs based on what you've asked for BUT they don't have RF out and neither do the Dreamboxes mentioned, so you would need an RF adapter if you MUST have this feature...

The VU+ DUO has all the other things you ask for Optical, HDMI, Ethernet, cam slots, card readers, USB slots for disks, unlimited channels, flexible software usage, etc. and can also add a SATA driver internally up to 2TB, it is of course also twin tuner so record one channel while watching another, has twin card slots and twin CAM slots, twin scart + HDMI, it's THE receiver to have at the moment. Very easy to flash new firmware via USB stick. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?399

VU+ SOLO has the same as the DUO except it's only single tuner, single card slot, no internal harddrive (external via USB only), single scart and no front panel display. Very easy to flash new firmware via USB stick. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?299

DM500HD - No CAM slots, single tuner, single card slot, single scart, no RF out and uses eSATA drive for PVR plus other fuctions, no front panel display. Fairly easy to flash new firmware but requires you do this via USB lead connected to PC or via web interface (either way a PC is required). Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?319

DM800HD - No CAM slots, single tuner, single card slot, single scart, no RF out and uses 2.5" SATA drive only internally or you can use external USB drive for PVR plus other fuctions. Now discontinued and will be replaced by the DM800-SE later in the year (maybe!). Fairly easy to flash new firmware but requires you do this via null modem cable connected to PC or via web interface (either way a PC is required). Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?389

Technomate TM-800 - Might end up having the features you want, is VERY early stages on the software at the moment and right now it simply can't offer what you need, weather in future software updates it will remains to be seen, at the moment my advice would be to avoid. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware BUT only has an unfinished UR release firmware at the moment and appears to not have any other third party support. Cost ?249

Over all the above it's fairly clear to me the VU+ DUO is the one that stands out, if you can't stretch to that then the SOLO (due out in a couple of weeks), Dreambox are to exspensive, with less features and poorer build quality. RF Adapters to add to all of the above I would estimate around ?30 for the brand new type, but there are often cheaper 'used' ones around of these on eBay, so well worth a look if you really must have the RF out. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Sat-Shop; 1st June, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sat-Shop For This Useful Post:

busaman (31st March, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Sat-Shop,

Thanks for the info and cut to the chase it can be a mindfield I wanted to use the RF out so that i can connect to my TV in the bedroom and then buy a Smart Blaster remote kit to swing the dish from the second TV.

I have tried Wireless Digi Sender options and they are poor quality output considering it cost over ?100 i believe the signal is going through too many walls in fact if i left the bedroom door open the picture improved so i wanted to look for an up to date reciever but with RF along with all the other latest connections so i can plug in all my externals USB/HDMI/Optical to AMP etc but i am aware through RF my sound is mono

I read KMM recommends the VU+Duo as you also have.

I have a 1 meter dish on a motor and can see many sats but what is open on a Linux box compared to my TM6900 i have 2 cams and a gamma card in there so i would like to use my gamma and 2 diablos in a Linux box are they compatible but of coarse if the onboard Enigma opens much then i might not need cam/cards in there so i also would like to know what is open on Linux the same as a TM or different and more.

Thanks

Retired Sat TV Addict
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sat-Shop View Post
    VU+ DUO or the VU+ SOLO will be the best for your needs based on what you've asked for BUT they don't have RF out and neither do the Dreamboxes mentioned, so you would need an RF adapter if you MUST have this feature...

The VU+ DUO has all the other things you ask for Optical, HDMI, Ethernet, cam slots, card readers, USB slots for disks, unlimited channels, flexible software usage, etc. and can also add a SATA driver internally up to 2TB, it is of course also twin tuner so record one channel while watching another, has twin card slots and twin CAM slots, twin scart + HDMI, it's THE receiver to have at the moment. Very easy to flash new firmware via USB stick. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?399

VU+ SOLO has the same as the DUO except it's only single tuner, single card slot, no internal harddrive (external via USB only), single scart and no front panel display. Very easy to flash new firmware via USB stick. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?299

DM500HD - No CAM slots, single tuner, single card slot, single scart, no RF out and uses eSATA drive for PVR plus other fuctions, no front panel display. Fairly easy to flash new firmware but requires you do this via USB lead connected to PC or via web interface (either way a PC is required). Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?319

DM800HD - No CAM slots, single tuner, single card slot, single scart, no RF out and uses 2.5" SATA drive only internally or you can use external USB drive for PVR plus other fuctions. Now discontinued and will be replaced by the DM800-SE later in the year (maybe!). Fairly easy to flash new firmware but requires you do this via null modem cable connected to PC or via web interface (either way a PC is required). Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware and is supported by various third party groups (quite important when you are talking Linux and Enigma2). Cost ?389

Technomate TM-800 - Might end up having the features you want, is VERY early stages on the software at the moment and right now it simply can't offer what you need, weather in future software updates it will remains to be seen, at the moment my advice would be to avoid. Runs open source Enigma2 (Linux) firmware BUT only has an unfinished UR release firmware at the moment and appears to not have any other third party support. Cost ?249

Over all the above it's fairly clear to me the VU+ DUO is the one that stands out, if you can't stretch to that then the SOLO (due out in a couple of weeks), Dreambox are to exspensive, with less features and poorer build quality. RF Adapters to add to all of the above I would estimate around ?30 for the brand new type, but there are often cheaper 'used' ones around of these on eBay, so well worth a look if you really must have the RF out. Hope this helps
    Personal Comment on this post, Really helpful post and really informative. Rep has been added.

Read the Rules here; they apply to EveryOne.

DM800s HD
    Openbox S10
    TM500
    DM500s

90cm FortecStar dish
    Technomate 2300 motor powered by UsalS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to .: JaCkPoT :. For This Useful Post:

busaman (10th April, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The vu+duo is the best box out there for what you need mate (at the moment)
    Tm have just launched the Tm8000hd , its not open source but has amazing specs

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Sticking this thread for now as it is indeed an informative thread for those looking to enter the Satellite hobby and on the look out for comparative information on present and future linux based STBs.

Hopefully it can be added to as time goes by with more quality post as above.

@tattubato my apologies for highjacking your thread but it will prove beneficial to a lot of others following your route.
    Last edited by satsmo; 2nd June, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Satsmo,

Thanks for sticking the thread and no need for an apology.

Unless i ask i won't know, so far i gather the VU+Duo is a favourite and i also know things change fairly quickly in the world of sat but at the same time i don't want a box that is a 5 minute wonder or can only do one thing my TM is ok but no RF out but after 2 years with it i have seen other things worth having too but wanted to watch the same tv in the bedroom as the lounge without buying 2 complete systems so i have seen linux boxes can be more flexible but so far i have not had an reply on what's open with a linux box but early yet anyway it might be good idea if i went to a shop and spoke their for while there are not any near me they are all miles away.

There are also sat tv things i would like to talk about but probably no allowed here.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the AZ box premium or Elite?

Seem to be quite well supported and can pick them up at reasonable prices on flea bay!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Folks,

What about firmware ?

Some are open source and some not so whats the difference ?

Open source can be updated by anyone who has the skills ?

Not open source updated by who ? the dark world ? or the actual makers

Can same keys be updated to open source and not open source boxes ? or need different keys

Are all linux boxes compatible with each other in terms of firmware/OS

I hear talk of Enigma 2 what does this have others do not ?

Whats the top OS to have if choice is available ?

I hear talk of stability does this mean the box reboots if OS is put on a box not designed for it ?

spill the beans please

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alunfennell View Post
    A real Dreambox 500 HD or dreambox 800 HD would be the best bet ! and will live on for years to come .
    What does real mean, are there any duplicates?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vam View Post
    What does real mean, are there any duplicates?

there are plenty of Clone boxes out there.. especially DM800 but also DM500HD and the problem for most of them, is that they need patched images.....

But back on topic ....

VU+ Duo is awesome ,, very very fast and works very well... I'll recommend it over any other box... ( DM8000 i have't tested as it is way too expensive )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

We've had the VU+ SOLO arrive a couple of days ago now as well, well worth a look to those who only want the single tuner receiver, and unlike a Technomate TM-800 these work as they should from the off!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Cheapest HD PVR Linux Receiver.

Is it possible to buy a receiver that is hd pvr and linux compatible and has a card reader for under ?200 because anything higher would almost out of my price range.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast