Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Default peugeot 307 transmitions help al4

hi everyone
    i have one 2005 307 its have al4 gearbox i have problem when i put gear D cars not going same problems put the R not going cars rear when i put whit triptonich second gear cars beging go but only 2.gear
    whats the problems plss help mee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't have this vehicle, but I did a little research for you. Hope this helps.

Default Peugeot / Citro?n AL4 Auto Gearbox

This gearbox first appeared in Peugeot 306 and 406 models, and Citro?n's Xantia and Xsara at the same time. It's mated to four cylinder engines, and is typically identified by a "wriggly" pattern for the shift lever. Installation carried over to the Citro?n C5, Peugeot 206 and 307. It's also fitted in slightly different form to other marques including Fiat.

The earlier auto box is quite different, and is characterised by a straight slot for the shift lever to slide along. This commentary doesn't really apply to that unit, aside from generalities.

One point frequently raised with the AL4 is poor reliability. What I'm trying to do here, is address both rumours and facts. It's not actually a technical "how to" but may serve as a guide for prolonging enjoyment of a car.

* Installation: Make sure that perceived transmission faults are not in fact other deficiencies, such as irregularities in the engine operation or failing motor mounts. This latter detail is coming to a head as vehicles age, especially given the original softness of their mount rubber. Also make sure the vehicle cooling system is healthy - free of scale and bled of air pockets.

* Fluid Level: There being no dipstick, the level is checked via the overflow plug with motor running and transmission in Park, at operating temperature. It's quite well covered elsewhere on the 'net. Checking it with engine off, may result in oil running out of the overflow as the internal fluid pump is not keeping a volume of fluid in circulation. Low fluid level may result in a fault being indicated as the internal pump picks up a little air now and then - dropping internal fluid pressures.

* Transmission Cooling: There is no external cooling for the gearbox oil. It circulates from the internal pump, through a heat exchanger that looks like a beefed up cigarette packet on the back of the gearbox (near the left front wheel). This heat exchanger is plumbed into the car's cooling system with hoses of about 16mm internal diameter. Three different heat exchangers have been used. The smallest was fitted only to gearboxes with the 1.6 litre petrol engines, while the largest came on turbo diesels. Rebuilders here only use the larger two sizes, and a rebuilt trans will typically have a new heat exchanger fitted for best efficiency. It's my personal opinion that auto transmissions in mainland Australia cannot be overcooled.

* Adaptive Behaviour: The gearbox is rumoured to understand intimately your moods, intentions, know the road ahead and generally behave as experienced valet to your French magic carpet. Truth is somewhat less stunning. It simply looks at how you are driving it and attempts to help based on past "learning" events. One comment made by a transmission rebuilder, is that it responds well to an assertive driving style. In other words - let the gearbox know your intentions clearly. Accelerate smartly and it will kick down; feather the throttle off as you approach cruising speed and it will soon upshift. Brake firmly and it will downshift.

* Alternative Modes: Most come with a three way switch panel allowing choice of Sport, Snow or low gear operation. For all intents and purposes, I have not noticed any benefits in the "Sport" setting - other than pulling hard out of an intersection into fast-moving traffic, and am yet to experience either snow or a need for creeping along in first gear. Don't drive with the car in "1" mode unless you have a clear understanding of when this is to be used (refer owner's manual).

* Fault Lights: Infamously, when the two dash symbols for Snow and Sport flash (a little asterisk, and a stylised "S") there is an internal fault being recognised. This fault may be transient or somewhat more long term. The transmission has its own ECU; it does not have shifts controlled by the engine ECU. The default or limp home mode puts the trans into second gear without much subtlety in shifting.

* Internal Components: The basic guts of an auto haven't changed much for years. The big differences are working tolerances, and how shifts are actuated (electronically, rather than purely hydro-mechanical). Often referred to in AL4 tales of woe, are "the solenoids". There are in fact a good deal of solenoids or electrovalves in the transmission, but the two problem ones are atop the valve body ("hydraulic block" in Franglais) - this is all behind the black pressed metal cover on the transmission front.

Some years ago, the top two solenoids were recognised as a weakness, and revised. These are driven by a pulsed current to avoid permanently magnetising or overheating. Old solenoids were pulsed at 50 Hz, while the newer type are pulsed at 100Hz. Solenoid failure here, causes the default into "limp home" mode. When these are changed, the transmission ECU is supposed to be updated with a computer download. The update can be done without changing solenoids - old ones will operate on a 100Hz pulse, but newer units won't function satisfactorily on 50Hz.

* Fluid Condition: Remembering that trans fluid has to do its job in a wide range of categories - cooling, cleaning and lubricating - it's a big ask. Over time the fluid will age and effectiveness is blunted. The transmission ECU includes a "wear counter" that adds in appropriate details based on operating temperature, fault events and accrued hours. When the counter is full (rather like putting coins in a jar) the unit needs a service and the wear counter resetting. A simple fluid drain/top up as mentioned earlier is calculated to allow a partial reset of the wear counter, by subtracting 2750 (presently this is a non-verified number) wear units per half litre of oil. Internet sources put the wear counter total at 32768 units.

* Rebuilding: At present, rebuilt transmission in Australia, are only supplied by A&B Automatic Transmissions in Victoria. Due to arrangements in place with PSA, they will only supply the units to accredited dealers. Rebuilt tansmissions come with fluid (Esso) already filled to correct volume. I am not certain if the original ECU is changed over to the rebuilt transmission but consider it likely.

* Perspective: The AL4 probably deserved its poor reputation at the outset - however, like bias against other aspects of the European makers this has lingered beyond fairness. Matters may have been aggavated by lack of customer liaison here; there perhaps could have been superior handling of drivetrain issues arising when cars were still under warranty, in some instances. It's a fine line between admitting fault and trying to improve customer confidence.

ALSO:

Web sites and information AL4 /DPO transmission

Here is some information related to the AL4/DPO automatic gear boxes.

Solonoid Valves
    Relates to the pressure regulating valves which have been found to be of suspect quality. I would expect that they will continue to fail more frequently as they get older. The original valves have been superceeded by another made by BW which fits identically. Later transmissions were all fitted with these valves from new. There are two identical valves and both should be replaced together. NOTE the software MUST BE UPGRADED in the transmission ECU before the valves are replaced unless it has been done already. This can only be done by a dealer as far as I know. Cost $150++ depending on the dealer.

Citroen/Peugeot upgraded valve, part number 2574 16 (replaces original 2574 10) about $200++ each depending on the dealer.

Motospecs stock them in Australia. Suppliers to the Auto Transmission trade. Part number REX14202 about $210. Can be ordered from " your nearest Repco, Autopro or Auboran Store"

JP Automatic Transmissions in the UK
    Solonoid, pressure reg, EPC, TCC, DPO, AL4. part number N221 35 03 About $70 each (42 Pounds)
    Also sells these items; as shown on the websites below
    Cooler adaptor, N221 41 05 (50 Pounds)
    modified large heat exchanger kit, N221 41 04 (154 Pounds)
    Deep sump kit, N221 56 01 (50 Pounds)
    Derale 5"x12" oil cooler N110 41 51 (32 Pounds)(readily available in AUST)

Suitable oil.
    The recommended oil can cost astonishing prices from Citroen/Peugeot Dealers. However it is not so exclusive and I purchased it from my local Mobil/Esso wholesaler. It was only available in 20 Lt drums Cost $146 . This will enable oil changes for a long while. It is Esso ATF LT 71141. Supplier LUBES Direct

Oil changes and checking
    Code:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-62725.html
    http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-206/206/info/gb/b2ci05k3.htm
    AL4 Transmission repair
    Code:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/13915310/AL4-DPO-transmission-rebuild-manual
    http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/transmis/al4/solenoid.htm
    JP Automatic Transmissions (JPat) for the the upgraded solonoid valves and parts to upgrade the transmission cooling. Also has rebuild parts and kits, go to the main menu, look under Renault DPO. Will freight to Australia. Cost is very dependant on the weight.

Code:
    http://www.jpat.co.uk

http://www.jpat.co.uk/dpoflyer.pdf

http://www.jpat.co.uk/N221%2041%2005%20Cooler%20Adapter%20Flyer.pdf
    Source:
    Code:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=796379

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I have a 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6l with AL4 transmission and of course i have problems:"Intermittent fault. Pressure regulation fault, recommendation/variation".I want to make an ECU upgrade does anyone knows if this thing can be done only by a Peugeot dealer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Only a Peugeot dealer and I would have the valve block replaced at the same time with a gearbox oil change,
    HYUNDAI AND PEUGEOT TECH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi technobox,

I have exactly the same problem. I can put only on 2nd gear using the tipronic. On D and R the car doesn't move.

Can you please tell what was the problem if you have fixed it or founded what it is?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

2003 \ 2005 should both have the later borg-warner solenoids fitted, they do last longer but still
    fail. they can be programed in with Peugeot planet ( driver assistance ) any good quality dextron
    3\4 oil ok. the problem is pressure regulation faults can mean many things from a slipping clutch
    to loose valve body bolts. debris in the oil & the smell ?? are a good indication on the al4