Guide: Connecting your Dreambox to the Internet - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for that. I have vista on my laptop and I really hate it usability wise.

I ended up connecting dbox using ICS. Had no idea how it would work but seemed to work just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any way to connect dm500c to a 56 kb serial modem? connected to rs232 and make dm500c call internet number say user and password and establish connection with internet ?

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Sorry uskuz I don't know the answer to that.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That depends what you mean by auto update. On uk cable the key auto update function has nothing to do with the internet.

Most images do have a menu option to download cams, addons, games, software updates from the internet yes.

IMHO if you have a router you need to connect the dreambox to it. The dreambox can then access the internet and you can access the dreambox from your PC/laptop
    so neil, would it be possible to carry out the the au fix, using the nagrarom7 file. by just connecting the dreambox to the router. and then using a ftp program to transfer nagrarom7 file, which is on my pc to the DB?
    also i think from what you said. i only need to connect DB to internet for cams, what r cams? addons?, games and software updates.
    i have saved the nagrarom files on a memorystick. i have no internet access
    where i watch the DB. but i do have a pc there and provided i have the nagrarom files and a ftp program and a router or nic card, would i be abe to carry out the update to fix the box? i hope i was clear in what i would like to know. thanks

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Yes...as long as your dreambox is connected to a PC (either via direct connection or through router) you can ftp to it and transfer the file.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in theory then ,,

if you enabled port forwarding on ur router , then used the public IP address of the router you could connect to ur DB via the internet and use VLC for example to pick up the steam as it comes back out the way ?

when u connect the DB to the internet your router is doing the required NAT'ing , but if you were connecting via the internet then you would have to port forward the services .. i think , its no different from running a web server from behind yr router for example ?

anyone tried it ?

sorry maybe an obtuse question , just a thought as i was reading this

ignore me if its waffle ,

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

yeah m8, i do this, port forward the ip of your box, make sure sure forward http on port 80. Then whack in the external ip of your router into your browser and your away. I would recommend you activate 'authentification' on your box so that a username and password will be required to access it or you could end up supply TV to some chinese hacker before he nails your box for you for not having his favourite ~~~~ channel available..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks sir ,

I posted this then read various posts about streaming to N96's etc, came back into apologise and update it but u had replied ,

the principle would be the same for a dbox i presume , (which i have) ,

i may set up a streaming television website exclusively for chinese hackers

Thanks

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I can't stream to my phone yet, I am working on that, another post in the DM section is following it. I stream to my laptop and to my office PC.

The phone thing is more complicated for Nokias cos they use Symbian, I am trying a few things. A VLC developer has pointed me in the direction of the Helix project..

Good luck with the broadcasting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thx for infos, will love to stream to my phone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by uskuz View Post
    Is there any way to connect dm500c to a 56 kb serial modem? connected to rs232 and make dm500c call internet number say user and password and establish connection with internet ?
    Dreambox is just a linux server to all intents and puposes, so yes it could do that. You would need to install PPP, PAP and CHAP (depending on your ISP configuration) and edit the scripts. Where you might get stuck though, is if the kernel isn't compiled with support for those protocols. You could roll a custom kernel for the dreambox though, but not for the faint hearted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devilfish View Post
    Making Your Dreambox Wireless

There seems to be an ever increasing want to connect your dreambox to the internet. New images are being created with Addon menus which allow you to download plugins, emu, games, etc. direct to your dreambox. Your dreambox just needs to be connect to the internet!

Via Router

This is by far the easiest method of connecting it to the internet.

First of all, we'll assume that you can already connect to your box via FTP via a crossover cable. If you can't, you might want to read up on that before attempting this.

Now, what we'll need is...

• Ethernet cable (crossover or patch)
    • Router
    • Modem

We'll also assume that you have a router (wireless or not) and that your modem is connected to the 'Internet' or 'WAN' port.

If you have a free port on your wireless router, you can connect your dreambox to this. Use the ethernet cable (crossover or patch, most modern routers will accept either) connect one end to your dreambox and one end to a free port on your router. You don't need to change any settings on your router or PC.

Over to the dreambox. Navigate to the networking page on your dreambox.

Setup -> Expert Setup -> Communication Setup

There is a section in this page called 'Default Gateway'. You need to put the ip address of your router in there. It's usually 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 (depending on the manufacturer). You can find out my opening your browser and typing one of the ip addresses in to the address bar. If you are presented with the router config page or a box asking for a username and password, this is the ip address for your router.

If you have enabled DHCP support on your router, all you have to do it tick the DHCP box in this page, save settings, reboot box and that's that. The router will automatically assign the dreambox an ip address and it's now connected to the internet.

If you don't have DHCP enabled, you will need to assign a static ip address to the dreambox manually. This needs to be in the same subnet as your router ip address. The subnet is the first 3 ranges of the ip address, i.e. 192.168.1.*. Make the last range anything between 2-254 as long as another PC or laptop on your network doesn't have that ip address. Each device must have it's own ip address. Save settings and reboot box and you should be connected.

Via Wireless

There are devices which can make any ethernet equipped device into a wireless device. They are called a 'Wireless Ethernet Bridge' or a 'Wireless Gaming Adapter'. The settings on the dreambox are exactly the same as if you're using a router on it's own. The gateway to the internet is still via your wireless router so the router ip address needs to go into the 'Default Gateway' section. You're best getting these devices on Ebay or at a website like broadbandstuff.co.uk. You will need to follow the instructions that come with the device to connect it to your own network.

Via Modem

If you have a spare modem lying about, clone or original, you can use this to connect directly to the internet without any wireless devices or routers.

First of all, you will need to connect a PC or laptop to the modem to find out it's ip address. This ip address goes into the 'Default Gateway' section of the network settings page on your dreambox. Also enable DHCP on your dreambox. This is all that's needed.

So, now you have no excuse to get your dreambox connected to the internet. There are loads of great plugins out there that could enhance your dreambox experience. Some examples include an RSS Newsreader (for viewing RSS feeds from your favourite website or even the forum if the RSS option is enabled, DreamNetCast Internet Radio (listen to your favourite internet radio station) or Dream Weather X (gives you access to weather information).

I hope this has helped you and good luck!
    Hi,
    I have a wireless connectivity in my appartment.I have no access to router.
    I just have a passowrd to connect to the router.
    Now i want the internet in laptop to be routed to dreambox 500s via a cable or some device how can it be done.
    Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

I'm not sure that can be done. Maybe if you google 'internet sharing connection' or something like that you might get something to sort you out.

Ideally you want to get a 'wireless ethernet bridge' or wireless gaming adapter' and connect that to the dreambox and that in turn will connect wirelessly to the router. And your laptop would still have it's own wireless connection to the router.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
    So if i follwo the second procedure.I need to buy a wireless ethernet bridge and connect it to my dreambox via an ethernet cable.No the ethernet bridge will catch the wireless connectivity and that inturn will be routed to dream box.
    Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

cant get this to work ,at first i had up a list of stuff i wanted and tried to download ,now i get "Sorry.Connection to server refused.Check your network settings".the box has picked up my router settings as dhcp is ticked netmask is 255.255.255.0 ,lan is there, nameserver is same ip of my router 192.168.11.* gateway is the same ip, enable network ticked ,port 80 saved settings rebooted and still get same message ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast