Register
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

ddmech
    Do you know specs of diferent cams? i've seen older 500 hp 12.7 with injection advance listed on the valve cover as 20 deg and newer ones listed as 14 (I think) are there particular cam/injector combinations that get better results than others?

If you would be willing to I would be very interested in more details on exactly how you do your cam timing adjustments.

Here I am Getting off topic, maybe we should rename this thread series 60 performance tuning. to cover mechanical modifications as well.

does anyone have experience with the low compression pistons. Is there anything that i can do diferently in the ecm than I would on a higher compression engine?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I must stress that advance cam timing is very dangerous to the engine if you dont know exactly what you are doing!You can advance the cam a tooth safely if the engine is low enough in time to begin with.This must not tried unless you have the right gauges to check the timing precisely to start with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Sorry for getting off topic I just got caught up in the posts.LOL!

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

not a problem being off topic, maybe we should start another thread for mechanical modifications i'll pm you about the cams

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have a fresh example of what the wrong gear position can do. we put a 12.7 on a piece of equipment. finaly got it out of the shop 3 days ago. it sounded great at full rpm no load. when a load was put on it it lasted 10 seconds and then just died. When the head came back from the machine shop the plugs were not in the fuel passages at the front of the head so we had to pull the head to put in the plugs the gear must have moved when in the process. I think the pistons were hitting hard enough that the cam dowel sheared. when the cam stopped spinning several valves were hanging open. at 2000 rpm the impact was enough to shatter 4 of the ceramic rollers.
    all this after having our 3412 appart for the third time in a month

the only good thing was how responsive it sounded with my modified calibration. i just can't wait to see what kind of production it makes (had to add that to stay on topic )
    Last edited by amishmafia00; 20th March, 2011 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

sounds more like the cam bolt came loose.Know from experience,hahaha!Bent 22 out of 24 valves.Never did figure out why it missed those 2!

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

when your cam bolt came loose did it shear the dowel cleanly, or did it bend it over and break it off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amishmafia00 View Post
    when your cam bolt came loose did it shear the dowel cleanly, or did it bend it over and break it off?
    Ya it will clean whole dowel and and will sure damage to cam shaft gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I cant rember exatly but I know that we reused the cam and dowel pin.I think it just beat the pin up a little so we cleaned it up and put it back in.It was going to the sale so we werent very picky.Let that be a lesson to everyone.Someone elses truck.

NEVER EVER BUY A TRUCK AT THE SALES.YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU ASKED FOR!

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default bench tuning load calculation.

I am building a bench test setup that will allow me to simulate all the important sensors so that the ecm thinks it's on an engine. example . ecm thinks that the engine is running at 1800 rpm and we take a potentiometer which simulates the intake air temp we adjust the potentiometer and watch to see how the ecm changes the timing and pulsewidth. if i'm correct if you open a map when the engine is running the cell that the ecm is currently using will be highlighted. so we can also see where the ecm is looking to get values on diferent maps.

The one thing that will be dificult will be simulating load on the engine. i'm not sure how the ecm calculates load, but i have a feeling that if i can't make the engine think that there is a load on the engine it will output a pulsewidth for idle, or maybe even 0.

Does anyone have an idea how the ecm calculates load?

thanks!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its looking at throttle position and rpm. low rpm and 100% throttle = full pulsewidth on injectors untill rated engine speed is reached.

been thinking of doing the same thing. easy to play with on the bench.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djz4248 View Post
    its looking at throttle position and rpm. low rpm and 100% throttle = full pulsewidth on injectors untill rated engine speed is reached.

been thinking of doing the same thing. easy to play with on the bench.
    we put these engines on stationary equipment, i have them set up with no tps, they run on cruise switch vsg. when running on vsg where is it looking?

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I too have seen numerous 60's one tooth off after a build and about 3-6 months later have the valves hit the pistons. I certainly wouldn't try changing the cam gear timing unless you have the timing gauge DDMECH described. I agree that if your base timing is low enough you could possibly move a tooth and be ok but you must know your specs. I check base timing on every engine before I pull a head, just to make sure shade-tree Bob hasn't jacked with it.
    Last edited by Texas149; 5th April, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wiring har ess mods?

Does anyone know of any modifications that can be made to the engine sensor wiring harness on a Series 60 such as the fuel temp sensor 100 ohm resistor mod that can be performed on a C-15 CAT for 60 rear wheel HP?

I'm open to other ideas as well.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

when i use the create calibration tool the "derived pw and boi" button is greyed out, does anyone know why and how to enable it?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast