Register
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spencey View Post
    injection timing does make a difference but i completely agree it makes absolutly no difference to cam timing one bit and people playing with the stat of injection should be carefull because advancing it too far without changing cam timing will cause the injector valve to open before the plunger starts to move so the plunger does not have enough time to create the nessasary preassure to rappidly open the nozzle as required for proper atomization it will drip fuel at start of injection and then opening the pulsewith from original start of injection can cause the injector to remain open over the nose of the cam which makes the closing of the nozzle to dwindle away instead of a rapid shut that will drip fuel at end of injection that may build up on top of piston causing engine failure

I just wonder how far one could go...anyone ever played around with this?
    I do have a calibration in mine now that is 550hp@1850ftlbs,the only difference i can find is in the BOI and Pulse width tables,not sure how much hp she is really making (without a dyno report) but according to ddrs,she is making 1850ftlbs of torque,and i sure can tell the difference...doesnt seem to have hurt the fuel mileage either,still getting 5.5 to 6.5 mpg with i 98 western star that weighs almost 25,000lbs all by herself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

In response to my own post #44,since I have seen turbo boost pressure to 50 psi on two of my engines.Great hp but high ex temps.After these two I would not advise over about 40.Dont seem to have any problems at tkis psi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddmech View Post
    In response to my own post #44,since I have seen turbo boost pressure to 50 psi on two of my engines.Great hp but high ex temps.After these two I would not advise over about 40.Dont seem to have any problems at tkis psi.
    I have a client with readings about 45 psi in the turbo boost. Until I know there is no problem, but originally the ECM display alert about the presure and he asked me to modify the program to stop the alert. Since that, he did not report any trouble.
    Share and use the THANKS button and from time to time somebody will help.

PD. Use the REPUTATION button too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I can get 36-38 psi with stock program and advancing cam timing in motor.Still runs great with exellent mileage.Just lock the wastegate closed.

Wastegate=Usleless piece of engineering!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ok Guys,here's a dumb question...is it possible to use half engine mode to save fuel?
    in other words...make it so that anytime the engine is below,say,25% load,it goes into half engine mode...i know this is normally used as a way to warm it up quicker,and use less fuel at idle,but if it wouldn't cause problems,it may work to save fuel when cruising,especially when loaded lite.

I.E. when cruising,and load is below,lets say 25%,the engine runs on 3cyl,but as load comes up above that,the other 3 kick in...sort of like what the automotive engines are doing...i know at least one mfg has been doing this for some time,but those are gas engines too,not diesel...just a thought.
    98 WesternStar
    Series 60 DDEC IV
    Without trucks,we would all be cold,tired,hungry,and naked...Thank a Trucker today.

If i was helpful,please hit the thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddmech View Post
    I can get 36-38 psi with stock program and advancing cam timing in motor.Still runs great with exellent mileage.Just lock the wastegate closed.

Wastegate=Usleless piece of engineering!
    Didn't you say you could disable the waste gate in DDCT?

Where exactly in the file?

Thanks,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
    Ok Guys,here's a dumb question...is it possible to use half engine mode to save fuel?
    in other words...make it so that anytime the engine is below,say,25% load,it goes into half engine mode...i know this is normally used as a way to warm it up quicker,and use less fuel at idle,but if it wouldn't cause problems,it may work to save fuel when cruising,especially when loaded lite.

I.E. when cruising,and load is below,lets say 25%,the engine runs on 3cyl,but as load comes up above that,the other 3 kick in...sort of like what the automotive engines are doing...i know at least one mfg has been doing this for some time,but those are gas engines too,not diesel...just a thought.
    Currently the limit in using the HAlf Engine Mode, is you must be at Idle. We have looked at trying it in a steady state, ie cruising, but when we monitored the demand load during Bob-Tailing down a level road, the power requirement was always over 30 +% . Possibly we could change the scaling on the parameters to allow a higher value of engagement. Will keep this in mind and post with results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thecell View Post
    Currently the limit in using the HAlf Engine Mode, is you must be at Idle. We have looked at trying it in a steady state, ie cruising, but when we monitored the demand load during Bob-Tailing down a level road, the power requirement was always over 30 +% . Possibly we could change the scaling on the parameters to allow a higher value of engagement. Will keep this in mind and post with results.
    OK,Thanks for the response...i guess it's back to the drawing board,looking for good fuel mileage,but still need 500 to 600 hp and at least 1800ftlbs of torque. getting around 6mpg now with 1850ftlbs and i think about 550hp. (haven't dynoed it,so no way to tell as none of the DDC software shows us developed HP...not that i can find anyway.)

BTW...this is with a '98 series60 DDEC IV in a Western Star (like a BRICK) she's making about 30lbs of boost and is hard pressed to get over 1100*F on the pyro. If you guys like,i can try to get all the specs and settings posted on here.
    98 WesternStar
    Series 60 DDEC IV
    Without trucks,we would all be cold,tired,hungry,and naked...Thank a Trucker today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lickety Split For This Useful Post:

northplains (23rd February, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
    OK,Thanks for the response...i guess it's back to the drawing board,looking for good fuel mileage,but still need 500 to 600 hp and at least 1800ftlbs of torque. getting around 6mpg now with 1850ftlbs and i think about 550hp. (haven't dynoed it,so no way to tell as none of the DDC software shows us developed HP...not that i can find anyway.)

BTW...this is with a '98 series60 DDEC IV in a Western Star (like a BRICK) she's making about 30lbs of boost and is hard pressed to get over 1100*F on the pyro. If you guys like,i can try to get all the specs and settings posted on here.

We have come up with a DDEC V cal that allows half speed engine operation with the following restrictions:

Max Speed 69 MPH
    Max Torque 30%
    Max Time allowed on 59 Min
    Reset time for cycle 30 sec ( needed for cycling)

Note: External temp sensor needs to be faked out to 48 degrees F....we are working on it.

This currently works on a Series 60, 14 L and 12.7L. We have run this with a sleeper cab and flatbed. No load on the trailer as we didn't have anything to carry.

If interested Post on forum and I will PM the file to you.

WARNING! This is a test calibration use at own risk. Even though it is working on a truck now, doesn't mean it is fully tested. The initial results showed a MPG gain of 1.2 MPG more than without.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thecell View Post
    We have come up with a DDEC V cal that allows half speed engine operation with the following restrictions:

Max Speed 69 MPH
    Max Torque 30%
    Max Time allowed on 59 Min
    Reset time for cycle 30 sec ( needed for cycling)

Note: External temp sensor needs to be faked out to 48 degrees F....we are working on it.

This currently works on a Series 60, 14 L and 12.7L. We have run this with a sleeper cab and flatbed. No load on the trailer as we didn't have anything to carry.

If interested Post on forum and I will PM the file to you.

WARNING! This is a test calibration use at own risk. Even though it is working on a truck now, doesn't mean it is fully tested. The initial results showed a MPG gain of 1.2 MPG more than without.
    I would be very interested to try this...may take some time to figured it out,as i have a DDEC IV,but if i see the file i may be able to adjust my cal to match. Please send me a PM,i'll give you a yahoo address to send it to if needed. Thanks
    98 WesternStar
    Series 60 DDEC IV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

Hi
    I am new at this and you guys seems to be the experts, I am trying to disable the engine brakes from the ECM of a Series 60 by using DDDL but cannot do so.
    When I go to diagnostics,ECM IO and attempt to disable engine brakes it would not accept the commands.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

you can not change anything from that screen , you need to retrieve calibration from the ecm make changes, then transmit back to the ecm. for passwords try 0000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

Thanks for the information
    When I tried to retrieve calibration, I get error and the screen is requesting to send error to microsoft, then program shuts down.

I am using software DDDL v5.01 and would appreciate any advice that I can get.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

you are connected to the engine while trying to retrieve calibration? get a screen shot of the error and I may be able to help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Default Improve fuel consumption Series 60

Hello DK.... Please advise me on best way to derate Series 60 from 450hp to 350hp.

Many thanks......