Register
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Wii Softmod Tutorial for noobs like me, UPDATED

I've been asked to update this thread, it's still working for pre v4 firmwares but there may be other (easier) ways to do it now
    Updated to include cIOS38 rev15 (which will solve the problem with 002 errors), and Uloader which now has the ability to run games from a USB hard disk
    Rep to dell_xps for the nudge to update.

If you're on version 4 or above or don't have a copy of zelda use this tut posted by dell_xps : HERE

You need a PAL Wii running any software version up to 3.4 ( Doesn't work with 4.0)... You're also gonna need a formated SD card no bigger than 2GB (not SDHC) and reader, an original PAL Zelda:Twilight Princess game disk , these files :CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FILES, , your Wii connected to the internet and about an hour.

Before you start you need to play Zelda:TP on the Wii once, also find out what firmware version you're running (Top right hand corner on the Wii settings menu)

STEP 1 : Make a shady SD card
    UnZip the contents of the file linked above to your empty SD card.
    **IMPORTANT** If you've got 3.4 firmware navigate to SDCARD/private/wii/title/rzdp/, delete data.bin and rename Twilight3.4.bin to data.bin, or the twilight hack file will not copy over to the Wii...... otherwise let's crack on......
    STEP 2 : Twilight hack
    Delete any Zelda saves from the Wii system
    Put the newly created SD card in the Wii's SD slot
    Go into Wii Options/Data Management/Save Data/SD card/ and copy over the twilight hack file to the wii...(if the version is wrong it will say file not copied)
    If the wii doesn't recognise your SDcard, re-format it using the SDcard format tool from here and start again
    Run Zelda:TP straight away and when the save file is loaded walk your man backwards, the game should crash and the ELF loader will pop up and start installing the homebrew channel
    When asked to update homebrew channel ... accept
    STEP 3 : Downgrade/Upgrade to 3.2, If you're already on 3.2 skip to STEP 4
    STEP 3-1 : Only for peeps with 3.3/3.4 firmwares... anything else skip to STEP 3-2
    Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
    Load Custom WM in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad
    Load IOS Downgrader in Homebrew Channel
    STEP 3-2 Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, scroll down to 3.2e (e = europe for PAL) and install.
    You should now be running 3.2 firmware
    STEP 4 : Install goodies
    Go to homebrew channel and install starfall, read the gumpf and press B&1 when ready ( if you read the disclaimer it says use 1 instead of 2... B&1 ) and install everything on the list by pressing + on each item ( you might have to press B&1 a few times to get it to work )
    Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel
    Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51,Yes to patching a fix but leave the Wii Shop Channel.
    Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install forwarder-UMRD.wad and IOS38-64-v3609.wad.
    Lastly open homebrew channel, and install cIOS38 (It's listed as cIOS36) USE NETWORK INSTALL
    Now you should have the Uloader channel on the Wii menu.. use this to launch Wii backups (Press 2 to run games from DVD)

You need to leave an SD card in the slot now because Uloader boots from an SDcard (easy updating in the future). The one you have already made is fine or format another card, make a folder called 'apps' in the root of it, and copy the uloader directory from this pack in apps to the apps folder on the new card.

You can softmod without downgrading to 3.2 but starfall only runs on 3.2 and blocks games trying to update or mess with the firmware.
    Last edited by drawflex; 17th December, 2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Added cIOS38 REV 15 and Uloader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Excellent tutorial m8, did one myself today no probs, this works, save your cash peeps no need for a mod chip, every game I've put in works no problemo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Drawflex, Just wana know what if Nintendo brings out a game that has an update on it and require to update your Wii before you can play!!! Is there a one time fix that you can apply on your system and every games that come in the future will not Nag you about updating?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yumraaj View Post
    Hi Drawflex, Just wana know what if Nintendo brings out a game that has an update on it and require to update your Wii before you can play!!! Is there a one time fix that you can apply on your system and every games that come in the future will not Nag you about updating?

Thanks
    In that event m8 just use a prog called wiiscrubber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by yumraaj View Post

Thanks
    Installing starfall takes care of this, it'll skip the disk update check and stop any game trying to update your firmware or mess with your Wii, this cuts out the risk of bricking your Wii (no need to use brick blocker all the time)... it also does a couple of other neat tricks like letting you safely play any region games and patches the health warning screen at the start...... This is why it's worth downgrading, because using the backup loader hack on its own could leave you with a bricked wii when trying to play an out-of-region game, or any game that contains a firmware update
    Last edited by drawflex; 3rd January, 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dell_xps View Post
    In that event m8 just use a prog called wiiscrubber.
    You mean Wiibrick-blocker i think ? Wii-Scrubber just replaces the random garbage data on a Wii Game for blank data which is why winzip is able to compress some game ISOs to <700Mb, without being scrubbed they'd never compress so well..

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.p...le=WiiScrubber

Any way... no-need to use brick-blocker when starfall is installed
    Last edited by drawflex; 17th December, 2008 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tut... works a charm.

Much appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much guys, I have managed to downgrade my firmware to 3.2E and successfully install the Skip update patch by using Starfall. Thanks again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for this great tutorial, works a treat

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Cheers for this mate. My kids dont play the wii much but think i will give this a whirl over the holidays. Need to get a hold of this Zelda game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bugaloo41 View Post
    Cheers for this mate. My kids dont play the wii much but think i will give this a whirl over the holidays. Need to get a hold of this Zelda game.
    Cheapest I could get it from was Tesco's m8, ?29, everybody else wanted ?40.
    Or just hire it from your local DVD store for a few pounds and hand it back.
    HTH

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Guys just checked my firmware - its 3.2E is that ok or do you have to revert to an earlier version (i.e 3.2A)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Guys just checked my firmware - its 3.2E is that ok or do you have to revert to an earlier version (i.e 3.2A)?

Thanks in advance.

3.2E, is the muts nuts for this m8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks in advance.

The E in 3.2e just means you got a european version (ie PAL)... you're good to go mate... follow the tutorial but skip STEP 3

Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast