Register
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vsanyi View Post
    You tried? I can remote synchronization with Launch? Pincode type.
    Don't know. Sorry.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy41 View Post
    Hi,
    Can you advise what that extra yellow box is for / what it does on the Land Rover.

Thanks
    Yellow box and few other components around it are designed for Discovery immobiliser system. With Discovery there is a coil around the keyhole, even without a chip in the key. Unlike most cars, on Discovery the keyhole coil transmits only. The yellow box and components on the key circuit board are to press the unlock button on the remote. The yellow box is actually a small inductor, or coil.

Say you program a remote without the yellow box, into a Discovery. You press the unlock button on the key. Car unlocks and red led stops flashing for say 3 mins (or whatever the time is). After 3 mins, led starts to flash and car will not start. However, if you have one with yellow inductor on the circuitboard, when you put it in the ignition, the led stops flashing and car will start, just like you had pressed the unlock button. I programmed one without a yellow box into a Discovery and had to go back because customer was used to faffing about before starting car. The aftermarket ones from Avon Diagnostics have this function built in, which is very handy if you have a problem customer as I did, and cannot find one with a yellow inductor.
    Last edited by madaxe; 13th October, 2018 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Many Thanks for that explanation.

So the correct circuit board for the Discovery II is the item which has the yellow box ?
    To generate the full bar code number using the calculator in a previous reply here i use the number on the circuit board white sticker along with G ?

If i am unable to find the circuit board with the yellow box then i can use say a Bmw or Rover circuit board and still use the same 6 numbers & G to generate the full number as like mentioned above ?

I assume then if after say 3 minutes the customer does not start the vehicle he can just press the unlock button again then he is able to start the Disco ?

Does this sound correct.
    Thanks

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Thats all correct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

So i can use any board whether it from a BMW or ROVER which hasnt got that yellow box and using the calc on here.

That good news.

So basically MINI & ROVER can be used on either vehicle providing i enter the correct letter for the vehicle it is required to work on.
    So us X if it is to be used on BMW
    Use N if its to be used on Rover
    Use G if its going to be used on Discovery

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy41 View Post
    The letter needs to be used for the target vehicle so you need to use the correct letter with the code to obtain the correct long code number.

Having said that my questions was that i see 2 explanations for the one letter.
    I read G was for Europe but i then see that G = Land Rover.

Reading all these posts again i now believe that the letters G X N refer to Vehicle and not country code
    Sorry, but that's BS.
    Try changing the letters and see what part of the long code changes. Then go back to your diagnostic equipment and see what parts of the long codes you need to enter. You will see that the part that you need to enter does not change if you enter a different letter.
    If you have to enter the entire code, that's just your diagnostic equipment nagging you.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Depends.

The initial letter is not programmed into the car, but might be used by the tool you are using to verify you have the right key.

I use ISTA-D to program mini remotes. It wants the full code, including the checksum at the end, and the letter at the beginning.

I'm not sure its BS just because you happen to use a tool which doesnt use them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

So just to add to this as it’s getting confusing replies.
    If a key is for sale with a bar code label attached then how do people know what to buy and wonder if they are buying the correct one.
    If X is for mini on the label the garage wouldn’t be expected to know that & it should be N for the Rover she has just driven to them.
    So does that mean the letter is not important at all ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Here we go.
    I used a Discovery pcb sticker 3D5DF1

PCBTEST.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Buddy41 For This Useful Post:

r1yamaha (7th April, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madaxe View Post
    Depends.

The initial letter is not programmed into the car, but might be used by the tool you are using to verify you have the right key.

I use ISTA-D to program mini remotes. It wants the full code, including the checksum at the end, and the letter at the beginning.

I'm not sure its BS just because you happen to use a tool which doesnt use them.
    That's exactly my point... Just use the letter that the nagging tool expects.

By the way, my version of ISTA+, my old version of ISTA-D and even my old DIS all require you to enter the basic code, rolling code and cypher code individually and not the entire barcode.

It might indicate the frequency (and maybe other compatibilities), so if you are shopping for remotes and you have to judge the frequency from the barcode the letter suddenly becomes relevant.

I have programmed many Rover 75 keys to MINI's, but I've also had keys that did transmit at 433MHz but could not be programmed. Maybe the keys are broken or maybe there is something else going on.
    Last edited by tomvleeuwen; 15th October, 2018 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Tomvleeuween
    That clears one thing up but then allows us to talk about another.

You say that it might indicate frequency etc and to judge by letter how then would you do this ?

I mean if you were buying a key for say a Mini you would look to purchase a Key that started / ended with the letter X
    But how would that indicate anything to do with frequency ?

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomvleeuwen View Post
    That's exactly my point... Just use the letter that the nagging tool expects.
    I agree, thats what I do. However, there is also checksum at the end, which depends on the initial letter. I dont know which tools use the checksum, which I think is the last char. If you just change the initial char on an already created barcode, then the checksum will be wrong. But if you generate the barcode with the correct initial letter, the checksum will be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvleeuwen View Post
    By the way, my version of ISTA+, my old version of ISTA-D and even my old DIS all require you to enter the basic code, rolling code and cypher code individually and not the entire barcode.
    You could well be right, I have crap memory.....

I'm pretty sure the inital letter in the barcode signifies the intended application. I might be frequency, presence of inductor, etc. But you can as you say construct the full barcode from the white label inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Today i tested cooper R50 remote programming with Launch,and works perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vsanyi For This Useful Post:

r1yamaha (7th April, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Ista D does these Mini 2 button remotes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Yes.Remote with pincode.