Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevieboy10 View Post
    not entirely true mate, .
    whats not entirely true ? i never mentioned anything about apple stopping signing ios5 firmware
    im just saying that for joe bloggs who wants a hassle free jailbreak,youre better off waiting ,that is entirely true,otherwise you will spend the best part of your life on here which some peeps dont want,i understand what youre saying,but like i said for joe bloggs its probably a bit of a mare trying to fix an iphone when youre not 100% sure what youre doing
    The control of information is the consolidation of power

?I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire. The man who controls Britain?s money supply controls the British Empire and I control the British money supply.? ? Nathan Rothschild

IF I HELPED HIT THE THANKS BUTTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevieboy10 View Post
    not entirely true mate, apple will stop sigining 5.0.1 in the not to distant future and people will be forced to update to 5.1, where the exploit used in 5.0.1 could be closed. personally i would just upgrade to 5.0.1 whilst still possible to do so there have been beta releases of latest redsn0w that already fix certain bugs in the untethered 5.0.1 jb.

StevieBoy is correct....no matter what iDevice you own update to IOS 5.0.1 while you can...

Then decide if you want to jailbreak or not...

If you miss this opportunity to update NOW....Apple might just decide to bring out IOS 5.0.2 closing all jailbreak doors tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fijiman View Post
    StevieBoy is correct....no matter what iDevice you own update to IOS 5.0.1 while you can...

Then decide if you want to jailbreak or not...

If you miss this opportunity to update NOW....Apple might just decide to bring out IOS 5.0.2 closing all jailbreak doors tomorrow.
    correct,but if you update and then for whatever reason cant sort out the jailbreak,and we have seen lots of peeps on here having issues and then apple release 5.0.2 closing the jailbreak youre ~~~~ed if you dont have a custom ipsw and shsh saved
    its a learning curve
    anyway youre both right

?I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire. The man who controls Britain?s money supply controls the British Empire and I control the British money supply.? ? Nathan Rothschild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm your typical i phone novice but felt the need to post here in case there was any other novices trying to do a jailbreak for the first time. It seems to be that certain things are skipped over when describing the process and I just wanted to share my experience (or lack of it) so if someone tries it they might be able to avoid the pitfalls I fell into.

Just for the record:- I bought a iphone which was on 4.3.5, I read a few articles which said "update now" or "update why you can". Unfortunately what they didn't say was that if you use the official update in itunes you also get a baseband update which makes the jailbreak not work.

What the articles should have said was update to 5.0.1 via an update file from a forum that provides support for the jailbreaking process. The file obviously just containing 5.0.1 and not the baseband update. (aka a custom IPSW).

Needless to say I tried to downgrade the baseband by various methods detailed on the site, but that didnt work either. Apparently I should have saved some "shsh blobs" before I upgraded. Of course no one mentioned blobs up until this point...... which didn't exactly help.

So, seen as the horse had already bolted, there wasn't much I could do. I did however save my blobs for 5.0.1 just in case I need them in future should any other exploits be found and I need to downgrade again.

So at the moment I'm stuck on 5.0.1 with a baseband of 4.11.08 and there's bugger all i can do about it.

My advice is to back everything up including "shsh blobs" with some custom software before you even think about updating. And then be careful where you get your update from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djhowie View Post

Just for the record:- I bought a iphone which was on 4.3.5, I read a few articles which said "update now" or "update why you can". Unfortunately what they didn't say was that if you use the official update in itunes you also get a baseband update which makes the jailbreak not work.
    Two different things here being confused....Jailbreak and Unlocking...not everyone wants to unlock their iPhone to work on different carriers...some are just happy to jailbreak alone and not worrying about the baseband update....Before you start decide if you need just a jailbreak or jailbreak+unlock

Needless to say I tried to downgrade the baseband by various methods detailed on the site, but that didnt work either. Apparently I should have saved some "shsh blobs" before I upgraded. Of course no one mentioned blobs up until this point...... which didn't exactly help.
    As a rule you cannot downgrade your baseband...the baseband can be thought of as specific software that controls your phone part of the iPhone.

SHSH blobs are saved only to enable you to downgrade the firmware of the iPhone eg 5.0.1 to 4.3.3.... Apple have implemented a process(firmware Signing) which checks and prevents people installing older firmware on their iPhone...so without the saved blobs you cannot downgrade...NB Baseband will not change(to a lower value) during the downgrade, if you need to unlock extra precautions need to be taken while downgrading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote=fijiman;1413589] Two different things here being confused....Jailbreak and Unlocking...not everyone wants to unlock their iPhone to work on different carriers...some are just happy to jailbreak alone and not worrying about the baseband update....Before you start decide if you need just a jailbreak or jailbreak+unlock

Thanks Fijiman for expanding on my post, I did forget to mention the difference between jailbreak and network unlock, I had wrongly assumed everyone had a phone which worked on their network. Having tried to work on the phone without a sim and it not working due to reasons posted elsewhere authenication etc, I had little option but to try my own sim which worked fine so luckily enough no need to unlock.

...NB Baseband will not change(to a lower value) during the downgrade, if you need to unlock extra precautions need to be taken while downgrading
    When using Redsn0w on the iphone with the latest baseband it says something along the lines of "unexpected error" and throws me out. After a long read on various forums it was suggested that I might be able to restore using an old version of itunes and a lower firmware in order to downgrade the baseband, which would then allow me to upgrade by a custom firmware to 5.0.1 whilst retaining the lower baseband and hopefully avoid the error I was getting with Redsn0w.

Needless to say.... this didn't work either due to several authentication reasons, not just the blobs issue, it itunes didn't even recognise the phone, etc.

Clearly jailbreaking and unlocking are different issues, but this issue of the baseband clearly has stopped me from what had otherwise looked a relatively simple process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

In general what I wrote correct....ish.... there are exception to the rules...

When using Redsn0w on the iphone with the latest baseband it says something along the lines of "unexpected error" and throws me out. After a long read on various forums it was suggested that I might be able to restore using an old version of itunes and a lower firmware in order to downgrade the baseband, which would then allow me to upgrade by a custom firmware to 5.0.1 whilst retaining the lower baseband and hopefully avoid the error I was getting with Redsn0w.
    From the above it sounds like you own a 3GS iPhone...with a possible old bootrom... Only this particular model iPhone can the baseband be downgraded... If you don't need an unlock always update the baseband... In the UK a factory unlock(always preferable) is available from all service providers for a small fee or FREE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the above it sounds like you own a 3GS iPhone...with a possible old bootrom... Only this particular model iPhone can the baseband be downgraded... If you don't need an unlock always update the baseband... In the UK a factory unlock(always preferable) is available from all service providers for a small fee or FREE
    It is an iPhone 4 that I was trying unsucessfully to jailbreak. The phone was originally from O2 but I?m running it on a Giff Gaff sim which runs on the O2 network so unlocking isn?t an issue for me.

I was attempting to jailbreak it purely because the exploit was there and I wasn?t sure whether it would be time limited.

Please correct me if I?m wrong but I?m beginning to get the impression that the baseband version has nothing to do with the exploit and therefore the jailbreaking process of 5.0.1
    If this is the case, how come I?m having so much difficulty with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

everyone has difficulty with it,espescially novices like yourself and me and many others,thats why we have this section on digital kaos,,my advice would be to post up the details of your iphone 4
    settings/general/about then post here your firmware etc
    you will be guided through the process and will get your jailbreak
    i have just updated my iphone 4 to ios5 using the latest version of itunes and then jailbreaked it,,had a few issues but nothing that wasnt my own mistake,,it is frustrating when it dosent work but theres normally a simple solution,,,,if you have an iphone 4s (a5 device) it cant be jailbroken yet,,but since you said iphone 4 then it can be done,,fijiman or mickeydibble are the usual suspects on here for the correct advice needed for the jb process
    hold tight and you will get that info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is an iPhone 4 that I was trying unsucessfully to jailbreak. The phone was originally from O2 but I?m running it on a Giff Gaff sim which runs on the O2 network so unlocking isn?t an issue for me.

I was attempting to jailbreak it purely because the exploit was there and I wasn?t sure whether it would be time limited.

Please correct me if I?m wrong but I?m beginning to get the impression that the baseband version has nothing to do with the exploit and therefore the jailbreaking process of 5.0.1
    If this is the case, how come I?m having so much difficulty with it?
    Quality of information is always important....it's not always easy or well explained the jailbreak process... just remember it very difficult to brick your iPhone...unlike the early days where a wrong move and you have an expensive paper weight..

Practice makes perfect..

Make sure you save SHSH blobs for 5.0.1 and ask question.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A good HOW TO for newbies.....watch then ask question if you run into problems...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMrEyRrZck]NEW Sn0wbreeze 2.9 Untethered Jailbreak 5.0.1 iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i've tried a number of ways to upgrade to 5.0.1 and jailbreak my phone but it's just not playing the game!

Using Redsn0w with downloaded firmware just leaves the phone saying "downloading jailbreak data....".
    When I finally gave up and rebooted, it's just where it was b4 I started - in my case 4.1 and jailbroken.

I've even tried just upgrading on iTunes and that gets stuck with an "error 1600" notification. There's a way round that i think though: see

Use Redsn0w as iREB Alternative in Mac to Put iPhone in Pwned DFU Mode | Jaxov

In the light of the latest news on the devteam blog regarding sshh blobs and what apple are doing to prevent using them on OS 5.0 and above, I'm going to stick with what I've got.

My advice is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    What's so good about OS
    5 anyway?

cjwj

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A foolish position to take....make the move to 5.0.1 or miss the train....more and more apps will require minimum 5.0 for it to work....alot of the newer tweaks out in Cydia require the newer firmware....

It's not rocket science....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ave an Iphone 3gs locked to Orange, I have jailbroken the phone using tutorials in this thread. (Thank you)

Unfortunately I can't unlock it.

version 5.0.1 (9a405
    carrier *orange uk 11.0
    model mc131b
    modem firmware 05.06.05

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated

Grover

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Looks like at the moment Iphone 4S can only be JB and not unlocked, Right?
    Sent from iPhone 4S

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast