DM500 Full Image backup on DM500 - Problem
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Full Image backup on DM500 - Problem

Guys - sorry if this has been answered already ... ( but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere in the forums)
    I'm trying to make a FUll backup image of my DM after I have installed newplugins, new skins, ecocamms, new keys and with existing services etc... so that I can revert back to it ( the full package) if I need to.
    I've made several backups with dreamup ... but when I reinstall them it has not included the plugins, evocams, skins and services I had already installed !!!

Any ideas where I'm going wrong ?

Also, I'm having problems installing PLi Jade on my DM500 ... anyone got any step by step instructions ?

thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you backup (and flash) your image with telnet certain that it retains "all" settings. The red sticky at the top of the dreambox forum tells you how. very easy.

when you are flashing the image back with dreamup make sure you choose "nein" to flash erase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks bugaloo41,

I'll try that ...

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

u can use flashwizardpro to make a backup of ur box much quicker then using dreamup takes no more than 2 minutes to backup or flash.

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Here's how to backup and flash an image using telnet commands.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...ia-telnet-760/

I'm sure that the backup you take with dreamup is ok. It's your method of flashing it back to the box that's causing you to loose all backed up data.

When you flash with dreamup, it asks if you want to 'perform flash erase during flash' or something like that after you hit the 'Flash' button. If you are flashing a normal image, choose YES. If you are flashing a backup image, choose NO. When it performs the flash erase, it erases everything in /var and replaces it with the contents of /var_init so you loose all your backup stuff. If you select NO, it doesn't perform this and all backed up data is preserved.

If you backup and flash the image using telnet commands, you don't need to worry about this.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks Devilfish,

So just to confirm ... using the "dreamup - backup" option to make a backup ... it does actually make a Full backup ?

... and when I am restoring the image (using dreamup) by selecting NO to flash erase, it restores the Full backup. By selecting Yes to flash erase ... it only restores the backup partially ?.

regards

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Yes, almost...

It will fully restore the backup in both instances. But after the backup has been transferred to the box, if you press YES, its effectively doing a factory reset before rebooting hence deleting all your backup data.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk