Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreambox 500 will not boot

Hi I have a dreambox 500 (actually a black box 500) which i have not used for a while. It was working but when i turned it back on i get a black screen. I have tried to telnet into it which worked once but crashed and i haven't been able to do it since.

Now i cannot telnet in because it will not boot up and connect to my router. I can see the lights on the router where i plug the ethernet cable in, which makes be believe the box is sort of working, but it is not getting an ip address (not in routers DHCP list)

i have bought a null modem cable and connected it to my pc (windows 7 64bit) and tried to use dreamup (version 1.3.3.9) which doesn't seem to conenct to the box. I have com1 and com2 in the dropdown but neither will do anything. It just says preparing, now turn on the dreambox. I then plug in the ac and try and turn the box on. After a minute or so the lights on the board come on so i know the box is partly booting, but the dreamup doesn't do anything.

It my box broken? Does dreamup work with windows 7, or do i need t configure the com ports? how do i know which one to use, com1 or com2? I don't have access to an xp pc either. I have tried running dreamup as administrator and with comparability xp sp3 btu still nothing.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Chris

alotmentman

Quote Originally Posted by wardy277 View Post
    Hi I have a dreambox 500 (actually a black box 500) which i have not used for a while. It was working but when i turned it back on i get a black screen. I have tried to telnet into it which worked once but crashed and i haven't been able to do it since.

Now i cannot telnet in because it will not boot up and connect to my router. I can see the lights on the router where i plug the ethernet cable in, which makes be believe the box is sort of working, but it is not getting an ip address (not in routers DHCP list)

i have bought a null modem cable and connected it to my pc (windows 7 64bit) and tried to use dreamup (version 1.3.3.9) which doesn't seem to conenct to the box. I have com1 and com2 in the dropdown but neither will do anything. It just says preparing, now turn on the dreambox. I then plug in the ac and try and turn the box on. After a minute or so the lights on the board come on so i know the box is partly booting, but the dreamup doesn't do anything.

It my box broken? Does dreamup work with windows 7, or do i need t configure the com ports? how do i know which one to use, com1 or com2? I don't have access to an xp pc either. I have tried running dreamup as administrator and with comparability xp sp3 btu still nothing.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Chris
    try different dream ups mate plenty to choose from ////

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hi

If you can try another psu too.

Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mast View Post
    Hi

If you can try another psu too.

Regards
    Thanks, I have read that suggestion for similar issues. Can a bad psu really cause this soft of issue? I will try and find one

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wardy277 View Post
    Thanks, I have read that suggestion for similar issues. Can a bad psu really cause this soft of issue? I will try and find one
    Hi

Ive experienced it so yes it would. Some psu after theve been used for some time start dishing out lower voltages resulting in intermittent box problems.

In fact this week a friends box would not boot with his psu and when I told him its psu he said no its not cos he could see the green led light on psu his thinking lights on so its working.

So I changed for an old psu I had and it would boot to pli screen but not fully boot straight to a channel unless I faff about with the remote and then I changed it for 800se psu which has higher voltages and it would boot straight to channel. So when he bought a brand new 500s psu everythings fine.

Sometimes faulty psu will lose your bouquets/channel list settings and you have to scan everytime you boot, weird but it does do things like that.

If you have a similar psu modem or similar just give it a brief try.

Regards
    Last edited by mast; 19th May, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe it. I used a 12v adaptor from my external hard drive at it booted fine! Thanks a lot for your help.

When it comes to a adapters and voltage I don't know much. I would likely use ebay, can you posts links here to suggestions or if it's against the rules an example for what to search for. Will cheap ones be just as good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Well, the PSU on my Commando dev DM500S box died on me a couple of months ago, so I bought something like this off FleaBay:

DC 12V 2A/2000mA UK POWER ADAPTER SUPPLY PLUG LED STRIP LIGHT FOR CCTV CAMERA | eBay

Not bad- under a fiver and Free P&P as well, so I decided to buy 2, just in case the lounge DM500S downstairs ever went the same way. Just as well I did, coz booger me, the PSU on that died this morning!

Cheers- AL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got the similar problem but my dm500 is not responding at all its jst green light no screen i tryed flashing it with dream up but it doesnt work can some1 help please