Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Rice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chop 3 green onion stick
    In a sauce pan add some olive oil crank it to high fry them a little bit then throw in one cup of rice and keep frying till they are a bit toasted if the rice looks dry add a bit more olive oil.
    Then pour in 2 cups water add a bit of salt and bring to a boil while stirring a couple of times.
    Once boiling cut the heat cover and leave.
    In 20 mins its done and no worries of it burning to the bottom.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

rice has to be rinsed to much starch, dont over cook it goes to studgy and will end up like lumpy wallpaper paste.

soak,rinse, boil, and to prevent rice sticking a dash of oil, each to there own i use sesame seed oil, gives it nice shine to it.[/QUOTE]

If you bother to google "washing rice" you will see the jury is still out on that. If you read my original post, all the starch is rinsed away after cooking with a kettle full of boiling water. I also recommend using oil. The result is not sticky or stodgy as you suggest. As I have said before, don't knock it if you don't try it. All your other comments are negative and can be safely ignored.

Retired Sat TV Addict
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

keep the heat down guys! its only a recipe

Read the Rules here; they apply to EveryOne.

DM800s HD
    Openbox S10
    TM500
    DM500s

90cm FortecStar dish
    Technomate 2300 motor powered by UsalS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

You mean: turn off the heat or just turn down a little bit?
    and also if I want to eat sticky-rice? What to do then?
    BTW. thanks for the OP, I have had hard time to cook rice.

Mr. DK DJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts

Get the ****in wife to do it that's what there for ....

hunslet ramone

Don't buy the Savoury Rice in packets as there is far too much salt goes into it, especially the Golden Savoury Rice,which is the worst offender and does taste salty.

I should know as i blend the stuff . I do eat the Mushroom Pepper Rice though as it tastes OK , and i don't put any salt in any of my food, as there is so much in processed food, but it's all legal,don't know how.

As for boiling rice quick cook, which takes 10 minutes, standard 20 in boiling water, and Risotto which takes 25 to 30 the longest to cook. good to add little oil as helps to prevent sticking to pan,still you need to keep stirring it.

Obviously do not wash the Savoury rice first ,as would wash out the seasoning.

Add dried peppers , onions , dried mushrooms to plain white rice, which i wash first to make a tasty change, just boil up all together in pan,with a little oil.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm a bit nervous about making a comment, everyone seems to be getting boiled up about a bit of rice,it all started with someone adding a useful post on making rice, then most of you hacked him down & somehow he has to keep standing up to defend himself only to be hacked down again. It isn't how I make rice but I will certainly give it a try. I do agree with most of the posts on here no matter how conflicting they maybe! I really wanted to say I cook a lot of rice & have found it varies tremendously long grain does take longer to cook than basmati & different rices vary on how much starch. I nearly always use basmati as a preference of personal taste even though it is dearer. Soaking rice in water shortens the cooking time if your able to plan ahead. Generally cheaper rices require more washing to remove starch adding a little salt & oil does help keep rice from sticking & if after cooking you sive rice, put it back over saucepan, cover & put but on heat to steam for 5 mins & let it rest in its own heat it then becomes fluffy.
    Every rice is unique in how it likes to be cooked, at present I am using brown organic basmati, washing it makes no difference to removing starch, soaking it in water helps reduce cooking time which is almost double that of any other rice, it is 30% more filling than other rices & you physically can not eat as much without feeling bloated. I agree with previous post dont bother with processed rice its full of salt & additives, if you find rice boring just add some stock it transforms the flavour!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a rice-cooker it is superb easy.

This is my method for cooking rice.

I normally buy fragrant long grains rices. Wash the rice 2-3 times with clean water until the water is clear. Put the clean rice in the rice cooker and measure the height of the rice with one of your fingers; guestimate says one inch. Then add water till it is the same height of the rice in the cooker.

p/s: If you are using a normal pot; cook the rice with medium fire. Do not cover the pot otherwise the bubbles start to overflow. When the water and rice is bubbling and the water has evaporated till the same level as the rice. Immediately reduced the fire to very small otherwise you will burn your rice. When all the water has almost evaporated in the pot. Switch off the fire and cover the pot with its lid for 10-15 mins or so. Then your rice is cooked.

Hope this help.
    Last edited by sloh88; 11th September, 2012 at 02:02 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloh88 View Post
    Get a rice-cooker it is superb easy.

This is my method for cooking rice.

I normally buy fragrant long grains rices. Wash the rice 2-3 times with clean water until the water is clear. Put the clean rice in the rice cooker and measure the height of the rice with one of your fingers; guestimate says one inch. Then add water till it is the same height of the rice in the cooker.

p/s: If you are using a normal pot; cook the rice with medium fire. Do not cover the pot otherwise the bubbles start to overflow. When the water and rice is bubbling and the water has evaporated till the same level as the rice. Immediately reduced the fire to very small otherwise you will burn your rice. When all the water has almost evaporated in the pot. Switch off the fire and cover the pot with its lid for 10-15 mins or so. Then your rice is cooked.

Hope this help.
    Sounds a bit complicated to me, and you have another device to clutter up your kitchen as you won't be using it every day. All you need to boil rice is a large saucepan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypersonic
    Sounds a bit complicated to me, and you have another device to clutter up your kitchen as you won't be using it every day. All you need to boil rice is a large saucepan.
    Rice cooker is a good investment, IMHO but everyone to their own preferences.

Even so, I prefer to rinse before cooking my rice, since I always cooked it Asian style (which requires washing, especially for Japanese recipes). Somehow it is a habit for me, since I grew up seeing everyone washed the rice before cooking them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Boiled rice

I have Never washed rice before boiling myself, however, it doesn't do any harm to rinse it before if that is your routine. I also think it is more important to rinse with boiling water after cooking. Just keep it simple. Cooking rice is not rocket science!
    There are lots of useful comments on this thread and everyone has their own preferred method of cooking rice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

always rinse with boiling water after and leave covered for 5 mins works all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what he said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
    BOILED RICE
    Making boiled rice is as easy as boiling an egg or making a cup of tea. Why pay a bloody fortune for uncle bums rice ? No need to wash the rice or fanny too much with it before cooking.
    To make perfect boiled rice just fill a 7 or 8 inch saucepan with 1.5 to 2 litres of water, bring to the boil or use boiling water to save time. The pan should be no more than ? full. Add a ? teaspoon of cooking oil, ? teaspoon of salt (and a teaspoon of turmeric if you want some colour). Add 2 ? teacupfuls of basmati or long grain rice, bring back to the boil and stir with a wooden spatula once only to remove any rice stuck to the base of the pan and boil on a low heat. In 15 minutes the basmati rice will be ready and 20 minutes for the long grain rice. Empty the pan contents into a large colander and pour a kettle full of boiling water freely over the rice in the colander. Leave for 30 seconds for the water to drain and the rice is ready to serve.. Save any rice you dont use and freeze after it has cooled. It can be reused by adding a table spoonful of water and microwaving in dish with a plate on top. Once boiled the rice can be fried with egg, onion or various veg to make egg/savoury rice.
    I use an old Chinese way.
    add the amount of "washed" rice you need, to a pan.
    cover the rice with one inch of lightly salted water.
    bring to the boil and simmer till you see pock marks on the top.
    cover and switch off heat.
    20 min later perfect separated boiled rice.

sticky boiled rice is the same but unwashed with an inch and a 1/4 covering.
    I find neither version results in rice stuck to the pan bottom.

Firemouth rules for life.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!
    If its broke, fix it and use it again!
    If it proper broke, use it for something else!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive been trying to do rice for ages ,even in steamer goes hard ,so was watching gmtv the other month and he was doing rice thought id give it a go
    2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice
    boil water in pan pref with glass lid so you can see when water boiling stick in your rice turn heat down to simmer then put lid on and just leave it for 12 minutes dont lift lid,or stir it just leave it rice was the best ive had in ages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast