Thread: Boiled Rice

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Boiled Rice

BOILED RICE
    Making boiled rice is as easy as boiling an egg or making a cup of tea. Why pay a bloody fortune for uncle bums rice ? No need to wash the rice or fanny too much with it before cooking.
    To make perfect boiled rice just fill a 7 or 8 inch saucepan with 1.5 to 2 litres of water, bring to the boil or use boiling water to save time. The pan should be no more than ? full. Add a ? teaspoon of cooking oil, ? teaspoon of salt (and a teaspoon of turmeric if you want some colour). Add 2 ? teacupfuls of basmati or long grain rice, bring back to the boil and stir with a wooden spatula once only to remove any rice stuck to the base of the pan and boil on a low heat. In 15 minutes the basmati rice will be ready and 20 minutes for the long grain rice. Empty the pan contents into a large colander and pour a kettle full of boiling water freely over the rice in the colander. Leave for 30 seconds for the water to drain and the rice is ready to serve.. Save any rice you dont use and freeze after it has cooled. It can be reused by adding a table spoonful of water and microwaving in dish with a plate on top. Once boiled the rice can be fried with egg, onion or various veg to make egg/savoury rice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Come on you need to rinse it to get the starch out or it just turns to shit and sticky shit at that................
    I know you believe you understand what you think i said

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BUT <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what i meant !

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

~~~~ that, Uncle Ben does the job perfectly
    'If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.'
    -Bishop Desmond Tutu

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Boiled Rice

Quote Originally Posted by lagerland View Post
    Come on you need to rinse it to get the starch out or it just turns to shit and sticky shit at that................
    The rice is neither sticky nor shit ~ also note the final rinse with boiling water. If you don't try it, you can't pass judgement on it. I've been making rice like this for 40 years and do you think the chinese and indian cooks use that uncle bins stuff?. Uncle Bins rice is also cooked the same way, all you are doing is re-heating their pre cooked rice !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

So what your saying is the final rinse with boiling water gets rid of the starch then.I beg to differ and i wasnt insinuating your rice was shit just stating a fact about the starch,and forty years is good and i wasnt born yesterday either.........................

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default rice

lager m8
    I know I will never convince you ~ if you don't try it, you will never know. You stay with the uncle ben stuff, but don't discourage other members from trying it. If you need enough rice to feed 4, 6, or 8 persons, economically, then why not try my method on a smaller scale.
    Last edited by hypersonic; 21st June, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: punctuation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save any rice you dont use and freeze after it has cooled

Beg to differ here. I always cool any left over rice under a cold running tap asap. The rice is still cooking if not cooled. By cooling asap it stops the rice going soggy and after freezing it will still be fluffy and nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
    lager m8
    I know I will never convince you ~ if you don't try it, you will never know. You stay with the uncle ben stuff, but don't discourage other members from trying it. If you need enough rice to feed 4, 6, or 8 persons, economically, then why not try my method on a smaller scale.

Stay with uncle bens never used and never will................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is this ok for any kind of rice,,,,or just basmati and long grain

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Here is a easy way to boil all rice...

Get your rice and wash it till all the murky water disappears and you are left with clean water.

The water level should be an inch higher than the rice level.

Put on high heat with lid on till it boils.

Once boiling, reduce heat to low and keep lid on....check to see rice has expanded, lift the lid and increase the heat till the excess water has evaporated.
    Once evaporated, put the lid back on and put it to the lowest heat till rice is cooked to how you want and then turn the fire off

And you should have perfect rice

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cookworks rice cooker does the business in our house available at Argooos. It was half price a couple of weeks ago (?15) but is well worth the money and foolproof. It's probably on FleaBay as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you want fried rice that wont stick together,pop it in the fridge or if your in a hurry the freezer.
    works great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a better recipe????

2 cups of water per each cup of rice in a bowl, some salt, and 20 min in the microwave.
    That's all?????

And for sushi rice, just add some vinegar and sugar????

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default boiled rice

wow! what a response guys.

If you want to make boiled rice complicated, then wash it, rinse it, do the hokey cokey and stamp your feet. I'm only 75 this year and have been making boiled rice all over the world and in some places where clean water is a luxury for drinking and not for washing rice. Don't knock it if you don't try it. Do it your own way and I will continue to do it mine

If you read the original post it you can use long grain rice but cook it for 4/5 minutes longer.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

only took u two months to reply, but have to agree with others,

rice has to be rinsed to much starch, dont over cook it goes to studgy and will end up like lumpy wallpaper paste.

soak,rinse, boil, and to prevent rice sticking a dash of oil, each to there own i use sesame seed oil, gives it nice shine to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast