Audi TCM is inside the Transmission, how to get it out?
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Default Audi TCM is inside the Transmission, how to get it out?

What a week im having. Ok heres the question:

Can you replace the TCM (Transmission Control Module) which is the ECU for the transmission of course on a 2003 Audi A4 2WD Model (it has the CVT Transmission) without removing the Transmission from the car? Is it just as simple as removing the rear housing of the trans or must the trans be removed from the car altogether? Please say there is a simple way to do this job.
    For those of you who dont understand what I mean, heres the short version of the story. The Transmission ECU (TCM) has failed and guess where its located? Yup its inside the transmission apparently, OMG I know Any help please, has someone tackled this job before? thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Have a look here, you may find the info you require

VWVortex.com - Automatic Transmission Forum

Martin

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Easy job on CVT model.The end housing the furthest away from engine where the connector is needs to be removed.Disconnect the connector,and then unbolt the housing.Once you have the housing off you will see the tcm inside the trans.You can do all of this with the transmission in the car.When removing tcm I believe there are a couple of bolts.Take those out,amke sure no other connections are still connected and pull the tcm straight back.DO NOT pull it down or side to side there is a long temp sensor that slides into the transmission if you damage or brake this you wount be able to get the new tcm into the transmission.Best of luck simple job Cake!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hi fellows, I am replacing that module in a , I have the module installed already, but the thing now that seems like it has to be reprogrammed, does it? Or am I installing one than is not capable? The trouble code I get is this one,

18249 - Engine control module / transmission incompatible
    P18041 -005

Thanks in advance

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Does the new one have the same numbers on it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

No, in fact the customer got four of them, two doesn't work and the rest two have the follow part number
    8E0 910 155 K
    8E0 910 159 B
    The one that the car had is
    8E0 910 156 P

I know are not the same, I expected to change the software trough j2534 but I don't know how.
    I heard it could be done but I am not sure, have you change it? Or it is wasted time to try?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Your Tcm is not compatible or out of different car that has a older transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sorry to bring up and old thread

Quote Originally Posted by trivilin8 View Post
    Hi fellows, I am replacing that module in a , I have the module installed already, but the thing now that seems like it has to be reprogrammed, does it? Or am I installing one than is not capable? The trouble code I get is this one,

P18041 -005

Thanks in advance
    Sorry to bring this up from the dead. but I'm having same issue with transmission incompatible. Can you explain how you got the problem resolved ? Thank you !

P18041 -005

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to make compatible another part number module if it could be possible, in that time I had to keep searching for a compatible number. Maybe it could be possible reading eprom and ram and copying from the original one, but you would have to know if both modules are for the same brand car and have to control the exact hardware. If you already copied the exact coding from the damaged module as far as I know that would be the only opinion. I tried to change it through erWin and it didn't allow me. I wished you all luck to succeed making it work