Just bricked OpenBox X3...
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just bricked OpenBox X3...

Everything was running fine when I decided to use STBHEditor to edit the Favorites.
    Once finished , I used the X3 LAN tool to upload new TP_PROG.dbs file as suggested.

Box now just cycles throuh a LOADUP process showing
    LO1 then LO2 then LO3.... up to LO100 then starts again, never getting to complete teh bootup process.
    How do I get back to butts and reflash.
    Because it is not completing the bootup, then I cannot connect using X3 LAN tool to reverse the problem.
    Question: How do I unbrick an OpenBox X3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unbrick an Openbox X3......Sorted..

My Solution:
    Havinq first received the X3 with original image, I upgraded from USB stick to Openbox_X3_Q3_X4_Q4_Europe_120920.abs and scanned in channels. All went as expected.
    I then decided to update the Favourites listings. This involves, dumping the TP_PROG file to USB , bringing it to a computer, splitting the file to bin and text sections, and editing the text section, the UDF file, using STBHeditor, merging the files back to TP_PROG file and then uploading back to the box using the STBHEditor.

[ It was the last part that caused it to become a brick. The final part must be done by putting the TP_PROG file back onto the USB, bringing it to the box and uploading to box via the X3 Menu system. do NOT USE STBHEditor for this part . It makes an arse of it]

Having bricked it, the box repeatedly went through bootup getting to LOAD100 then restarting.
    SO to unbrick....
    1. download F3_X3_M3_Q3_RS232_Upgrade Tool.
    2. The readme file is useless at this point. Here it is for interest....

1??Configure SDROM and Flash at first Before you use ERomUpgrade to Upgrade and dump target, Config methodes at next.
    config.bat [platform_type]
    platform_type = 8M_PF, 8M_SF
    Examples:
    For 8M SDRAM, Serial Flash Platform: config.bat 8M_SF
    FOR 8M SDRAM, Parallel Flash Platform: config.bat 8M_PF
    For 8M SDRAM, Serial Flash Platform S3202: config.bat 8M_SF_S3202
    For 8M SDRAM, SQI Serial Flash Platform S3202: config.bat 8M_SF_S3202_SQI
    For 8M SDRAM, SQI Serial Flash Platform S3327G4: config.bat 8M_SF_27G4_SQI
    For 32M SDRAM, Serial Flash Platform S3202: config.bat 32M_SF_S3202
    For 16M SDRAM, Serial Flash Platform M3329E: config.bat 16M_SF_M3329E
    For 64M DDRAM, Serial Flash Platform M3602: config.bat 64M_SF_M3602
    For 128M DDRAM, Serial Flash Platform M3602: config.bat 128M_SF_M3602
    For 128M DDRAM, Serial Flash Platform M3603: config.bat 128M_SF_M3606
    For 128M DDRAM, Serial Flash Platform M3606: config.bat 128M_SF_M3606

Unfortunately, there is no way to get this information from the box (because it is bricked).Once I recovered, I found that it is held in the Information page which for this box is, DDR 128M ( the last one on the list).

Anyway,because I assumed that the box was only "slightly" bricked and that this information was already there, I did not make any changes here. I simply ran the ERom Upgrade application and because the bootloader was seemingly already working, I UNCHECKED upgrade bootloader.
    Although I originally backed up the image, I decided to upgrade to the latest one instead , so selected
    Openbox_X3_Q3_X4_Q4_Europe_120920.abs.
    First time I ran this it stopped at 46% complete. As I was using a USB to RS232 connected to a null modem lead, I assumed there was a connection problem, so terminated the upload, removed the USB to RS232 and used only the null modem lead connected to the box.
    BTW, The default setting for this box is baud rate =115200 , parity none and again this info can only be got from a working box. (THe PC com port on the PC must be set to this using the control panel before commencing otherwise no information will pass between PC and box.)

Also the box must remain turned off until the EROM upgrade is started and gets to the page that asks to RESET box.
    Turn on the box, and the download kicks off after a few seconds.
    Once it reaches 100%, it then carries out phase2 which flashes the box.
    When complete, it is back to life as a new box.
    Hope that this is of help to somone in the furure, as it is an easy mistake to make.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straybullet View Post
    Everything was running fine when I decided to use STBHEditor to edit the Favorites.
    Once finished , I used the X3 LAN tool to upload new TP_PROG.dbs file as suggested.

Box now just cycles throuh a LOADUP process showing
    LO1 then LO2 then LO3.... up to LO100 then starts again, never getting to complete teh bootup process.
    How do I get back to butts and reflash.
    Because it is not completing the bootup, then I cannot connect using X3 LAN tool to reverse the problem.
    Question: How do I unbrick an OpenBox X3?
    Is this sat we are talking?

Read the first post here by gaastra. Sounds promising.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...ml#post1747542

Then go to page one for the said firmware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.yojiatech.com/uploads/sof...pgradeTool.zip

This tool and a standard Ebay RS232 lead