New PC With Linux
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New PC With Linux

In a few months I will be making a brand new PC running some version of Linux (probably Ubuntu or Fedora). I took a Linux class a few years back, but I was wondering if I really should go with Linux. I can obtain my own knowledge through other threads and sites, but is there absolutely anything that Linux cannot do at all?

Thanks in advance.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhart View Post
    .....is there absolutely anything that Linux cannot do at all?
    I'm sure there is but rather than attempt to answer such an open ended question its probably better if you decide what it is you want the pc to do and then ask if linux can do that.

Generally, linux can do pretty much anything any other operating system can do but if your wanting a specific application or support for some specific hardware device then thats what you need to ask about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhart View Post
    In a few months I will be making a brand new PC running some version of Linux (probably Ubuntu or Fedora). I took a Linux class a few years back, but I was wondering if I really should go with Linux. I can obtain my own knowledge through other threads and sites, but is there absolutely anything that Linux cannot do at all?

Thanks in advance.
    Mostly? Run Windows programs. Though nowadays, virtualization is as such that you can run Windows inside linux if needed.

Hardcore gaming is really the biggest issue left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't like linux

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max071 View Post
    i don't like linux
    You more than likely use a variation of linux on most things in your house

Sent from my T-Mobile Vivacity using Tapatalk 2
    Fave replies from various threads

1: What the fff is all that about??? All that crap below your reply I mean, get a life mate
    2: no info on google abt the pace sv5 rang asda they have no idea what i was talking about,
    3: Your total contribution to this forum, bordering on trolling, seems to have been a collection of snipes, one liners & asterisked expletives

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    Hardcore gaming is really the biggest issue left
    A lot of the games were at one time developed on Linux first as the choice of development platforms for developers, think of the Quake, Doom series etc. I only used to buy games that were available on both platforms, so that I could play them on Linux, always ran faster and smoother. Loki Games used to be the place to get Linux games, shame they closed a few years back.

Lokie's site is still up

http://www.lokigames.com/

There's quite a few good places if you're looking for games

Games on Linux, the place for Linux gaming
    The Linux Game Tome
    42 of the Best Linux Commercial Games - Linux Links - The Linux Portal Site

Shame the promises of Linux versions of Unreal never came to pass, or last time I checked they hadn't.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTExNjE
    http://icculus.org/~ravage/unreal/unrealgold/
    http://openut.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/f...ively-in-Linux

I have a couple of UT and UT2 games servers up and runing, though I haven't checked them for a while (months)

If you want an Office like package that's free search for Open Office - it's 'free' for both Windows and Linux.
    Last edited by GastonJ; 8th December, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    My master plan is to live forever..... going to plan so far
    Despite the cost of living, it's still very popular.
    No good deed goes unpunished....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Linux

I run Linux the whole time, I would recommend over windows any-day. As regarding Open Office this has been taken over by another company and is now called Libre Office. Great package and its free of course, you could also run MS office under wine of course if you need too. the only problem that I seem to have with Linux is a decent program for sound conversion on audio tracks.
    But that's it. It runs faster than windows, Better allocation of memory, no viruses, everything is free and less restarts when installing windows. I have used Debian, Mint, and am now running Pinguy Ubuntu.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Sound conversion, not a problem in Linux really. Try this link

Audio Conversion And Other Tools : Tom's Definitive Linux Software Roundup: Audio Apps
    My master plan is to live forever..... going to plan so far
    Despite the cost of living, it's still very popular.
    No good deed goes unpunished....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Been using Linuxmint to replace win8 RC and have to say its lot better than in its early days.

LM found it to very easy to install and get perpherials up and running. The couple of times I ran into problems (network printer and webcam) quick web searched helped out.

Would highly recommend it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've used Linux in most of its flavours for the past 12 or so years and now I just use it as a server for smtp, apache, tor server, samba local file server and c programming, to name just a few of its uses. I prefer windows 7 and my hackintosh for general use, its a nicer place when you just want to get something done, not to mention current release games and all that. Sure you can bring gui applications over the Ssh to a xserver on windows from Linux and that is handy sometimes

Ever since the Amiga went tits up and I moved to windows 95, I was missing the shell on my old miggy 500. I discovered an old cover cd with red hat 4 on it, wow it was amazing that I could get that Amiga shell like experience back on my now windows pc hardware (pentium 166mhz). So it all started from there with me and I've been through most distros since then, now settled with Debian, I just don't have the patience for compiling updates anymore but I used to prefer Slackware for many years. Oh and before the Amiga, I had been through most of the 8 Bits machines in the 80's. I did write a couple of small program's on the c64. I remember writing a sprite editor that, when you'd finished designing the sprite it would dump it as data lines for use in basic or assembler. Yeah on tape zzzz.
    Last edited by chmod-uk; 2nd January, 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the world of Linux/Unix!!!