The gravy
It?s easy to make your own Christmas gravy, according to Oliver Gladwin, head chef and joint owner of The Shed Restaurant.

He says the caramelised fat from the roasting dish is ?full of flavour? and shouldn?t be wasted. First, stir in some flour on a medium heat.

?Then add the booze,? Oliver says. ?I like to use a big slosh of sherry, brandy, red wine or anything I can get my hands on before my family drink it?

Add in the stock made from the turkey?s giblets and you?ve got a great home-made gravy.

Oliver also says it?s important to taste the gravy before serving. ?Think of it going well with the joint. Ask yourself questions like: is it rich enough? If not, add a spoon of mustard and sugar. This will increase the depth of flavour on your palate.?

The Brussels sprouts
Love them or loathe them, sprouts have become an inescapable part of the Christmas dinner. And Simon Bolsover, head chef at Great Fosters Hotel in Egham has an original idea for serving them.

?Cook them until just tender in salted boiling water,? he says. ?Cut them in half then pan roast with almonds and nutmeg and finish with some cream ? guaranteed everyone will eat these sprouts!?

The cranberry sauce
The secret to a good cranberry sauce is to add flavour with ingredients such as orange juice and port.

According to Sean Kelly, head chef at The Lovat Hotel in Fort Augustus near Loch Ness, ?Cranberry sauce is something that can really make a difference to the meal. Make your own with 100ml orange juice, 100ml port and 70g sugar. Bring all the ingredients to the boil then add 500g cranberries and cook in the liquid. Thicken with Xanthan gum and leave until cool to serve. Perfect.?

Merry Christmas