Repair vag-com 409.1 kkl interface with ft232rl and lm339
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Default Repair vag-com 409.1 kkl interface with ft232rl and lm339

if ftdi ic is recognized by windows, that is, if you can install drivers, but the interface doesnt work (test in vag-com 3.11 or 409.1 or vcds-lite) then lm339 smd ic is broken
    this is a common problem, lm339 burns very often...
    you can buy in local dealer (0.30euro) or ebay (10x 1.80usd)
    remove it with the help of two soldering irons: solder all pins together in both rows of 7 pins and then heat both rows, the ic will easily separate
    then solder the new ic: position the ic, solder 4 pins in the corners so that it doesnt move, and then the full ic
    im waiting for new lm339 to arrive and then will try

edit 16th april 2013:
    today i received the 10x lm339, i soldered one and interface is working perfect, only some cents to repair
    with the flux it is very easy to solder this ic
    this confirms that lm339 is the problem, which usually burns out, it's just as easy as replace it

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by manocao; 16th April, 2013 at 02:14 PM.

China: OPEL Tech2 non-CAN multiplexer USB, OP-COM USB, OBDII Elm327 USB, VAG-COM 409.1/VCDS Lite 1.0 KKL USB

Homemade: UNISCAN Visa 1.83 RS-232, Renault XR25PC USB, BMW KKL USB, Nissan Consult1 USB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manocao For This Useful Post:

mexanico1971 (2nd August, 2013), titoun (19th September, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Default schematic

red top, blue bottom

China: OPEL Tech2 non-CAN multiplexer USB, OP-COM USB, OBDII Elm327 USB, VAG-COM 409.1/VCDS Lite 1.0 KKL USB

Homemade: UNISCAN Visa 1.83 RS-232, Renault XR25PC USB, BMW KKL USB, Nissan Consult1 USB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manocao For This Useful Post:

stefaudio (4th April, 2013), titoun (19th September, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

today i received the 10x lm339, i soldered one and interface is working perfect, only some cents to repair.
    with the flux it is very easy to solder this ic.
    this confirms that lm339 is the problem, which usually burns out, it's just as easy as replace it

SAY THANKS!!
    Last edited by manocao; 16th April, 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: pictures added

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manocao For This Useful Post:

antonypaul (22nd July, 2023), mexanico1971 (2nd August, 2013), titoun (19th September, 2016)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Had same problem ,initially think at a driver problem but interface is recocgnised and the Kline was at steady +12 all the time ,even when checked within FiatEcuscan settings .
    Checked pins at LM339 with scope ,pin 14 which is output 3 is a +12 always even when pulses are present at input 3 (pin 8 or 9 ,don t remember exactly ) ..So I guess it was an faulty open output ,IC changed and problem solved .For future protection added a 680 ohms resistor in series with Kline .Last use was at a car with a improvised jump starter ,built from a welding transformer ,lucky me LM339 is cheap