Problem - Upgrading Hard Drive to 1TB in Humax Foxsat HDR - help?
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem - Upgrading Hard Drive to 1TB in Humax Foxsat HDR - help?

Hi All,

My 320gb Humax HDR hard drive has been playing up recently. I read lots of information on various sites about swapping and upgrading the hard drive. The box is out of warrenty so i had no issue in removing the top cover. I purchased a Western Digital WD10EADS 1Tb drive as I read on numerous sites this was one that had been proved to be compatible. The swapping of the drive was the easy bit.

The problem has been that on start up of the box, after the boot screen, there is a notification that the hard drive needs to be formatted. This was expected, as I have read that the box will carry out the format automatically. So I press ok and the formatting starts. 'Please wait' and a whirling circle appears on the tv screen, so i know the box is doing something. On the display on box itself it reads 'initialize parti' which I assume means initialising partitions.

However nothing then happens. I have left it working in this state for upto a couple of hours ( as I don't know how long the process should take).

has anyone any ideas? I read that the hard Drive need to be formatted to linux Ext2, which the box should automatically be doing. I was wondering is there anyway I could pre-format the hard drive by connecting to my laptop pc? and then installing it ready formatted? would this work and if so is there a program that I need to download to my laptop to be able to format in linux ext2.

I thought I was pretty competent at this type of thing, but this has me stuck!

Thanks in advance

B~~~~ 100

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts

you could try GParted live cd to format drive in x2

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Strange one. If others have done it with this drive then it would suggest something wrong with the Humax or the drive itself.
    I used a WD10 EURX AVGP, and I had to put a jumper on pins 5-6 to make it work, and it was straightforward. Does the drive you have need the jumper I wonder?
    Get to the Ulster Grand Prix
    Dundrod Co. Antrim
    Every August
    Learn what fast Really is!
    NOT for the faint hearted

or watch it on BBC NI HD the following week

(What is football all about?)