2001 DAF LF55 "Brake Lining Wear"
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 2001 DAF LF55 "Brake Lining Wear"

Hi everyone

I hope I'm posting in the correct section.

I changed the rear pads on my LF55 tipper last month as the effort was low. No dashboard waning, just not quite up to scratch on the parking brake. All went well and I done a couple of days work with her when the dash board warning suddenly came on "Brake Lining Wear".

Knowing the backs were fine I bought a set for the front assuming they were low. They were half worn but I changed them anyway, however the warning still comes.

There's no sensor on the pad, just a 3 pin plug which screws into the caliper. I'm assuming the sensor works on how far the piston is pushed out? I've had them all off and cleaned them and also checked over the loom as best as I can but I still can't find the fault. I spoke to DAF workshop near me and he told me to earth out the wire coming into the bulk head and that would turn the warning off. I'd rather find the fault but if I can't that would be the next best thing. The wheels are off every six weeks so I don't need the warning.

Has anyone got any suggestions or can point me in the right direcion?

Many thanks in advance

Karl

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

if you regularly remove the wheels or check pads on 6 week inspections rather than flashing the loom through to trace a corroded or broken wire or needlessly replace a calliper just for a piston travel sensor i would earth out wire 3406 on large yellow bulkhead connector. i must have done this at least a good 100 times now on dafs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dafdiagnos For This Useful Post:

kebabkarlos (2nd June, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you so much for your reply.

I've got a workshop CD with wiring diagrams on way, so hopefully that will tell me where wire 3406 is in the box under the bonnet.

Do you cut the wire and earth out the end through to the cab or just splice it and earth it out?

thanks again Dafdiagnosis.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

you will find wire 3406 on large yellow connector with metal locking tag. will be a blue wire & all are numbered within 3" of connector. you just splice it & add an earth to wire, i usually take earth on ring terminal from bolt just below & to left of bulkhead connector board cover

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dafdiagnos For This Useful Post:

mathura (3rd June, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great stuff, I'll be straight on to it in the morning and will report back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just on the off chance DAFdiagnosis, would you know where to start in finding out why cruise control doesn't work on the LF55? It's the stick on the right which I think is also the engine brake. Neither work, and haven't since we bought the truck 2 years ago. Checked all fuses and seem OK. Didn't want to buy a new stalk until I was sure that was the fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dafdiagnos View Post
    you will find wire 3406 on large yellow connector with metal locking tag. will be a blue wire & all are numbered within 3" of connector. you just splice it & add an earth to wire, i usually take earth on ring terminal from bolt just below & to left of bulkhead connector board cover
    Very useful information my Friend, usually most DAF 45/55 that came to me always have this probelm.

Now that you have explained what to do, I think I will have some happy customers

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mathura For This Useful Post:

dafdiagnos (3rd June, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I lifted the bonnet this morning and removed the lid to the wiring housing. I found the yellow plug, disconnected it and checked the wiring harness for 3406. Dabbed a bit of tipex on her and plugged her back in. Then turned the ignition on and the warning went out. Strange I thought, maybe a loose pin. Then realised all the support cable ties at the bottom of each harness was cut. So someone's obviously had a play before.

It has blinked on occasionally so I will earth it out tomorrow to sort it for good.

Thanks again

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kebabkarlos For This Useful Post:

dafdiagnos (3rd June, 2013)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

the exhaust brake works off the stalk switch on the left. if this doesnt work i'd check that the e.p. solenoid valve is connected & working in the chassis on the o/s @ the rear of the gearbox or that the exhaust brake butterfly hasnt seized or been disconnected. the cruise control is usually incorporated in the wiper stalk. if this isnt working you may need the engine management programming.
    Last edited by dafdiagnos; 18th June, 2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: forgot left from right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

I tried your method and it was sucessful, there is no longer the brake lining wear error on the monitor.

However there is also ABS warning lamp on, do you know how I can turn this off.

Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mathura For This Useful Post:

dafdiagnos (9th June, 2013)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

with the daf lf 45 or 55 you can blink test the ecu to find the fault by earthing out the bottom right pin on abs d/e for 4 seconds with ignition on & count flashes on dip display let me know the outcome & i'll let you know the fault or i can remove abs fault altogether but pm me to let you know how

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dafdiagnos For This Useful Post:

mathura (10th June, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

Does anyone know how to remove ABS fault on DAF CF65 dash monitor

Regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

with the daf lf 45 or 55 you can blink test the ecu to find the fault by earthing out the bottom right pin on abs d/e for 4 seconds with ignition on & count flashes on dip display let me know the outcome & i'll let you know the fault or i can remove abs fault altogether but pm me to let you know how
    Hi have a Leyland daf with abs warning light on, any idea on how to remove, thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi sorry to open old thread but I’ve a similar problem but checked for said numbered wire but it’s there on my truck!
    The nearest one I could find was 3408*1could there be a different system on my truck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you ever find the answer? I have the same issue. Jon