Best type of fish for no Bones ?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Question Best type of fish for no Bones ?

as the title of thread suggests :

What are the very best types of "Fresh" boneless fish fillets to buy that have literally hardly any chance of getting a bone in them and also taste excellent ? (I know the supermarkets never guarantee no bones will ever be in fish labelled boneless, but you know what I mean).

So far I know that Fresh Salmon or Tuna fillets are ideal because they are big thick/heavy/fat fish which I would imagine means that's the reason why you very seldom (if ever) get any bones from their fillets because most of the good meat isn't anywhere near the fish's spine bone like it always is on thin fish.

I absolutely love the taste of very very fresh rainbow trout, but very often I have found bones in them even though they are stated as being boneless, I don't know what it is, but ever since I was young I have always hated when I even get one bone when eating a fish, I think its because I nearly choacked on one of the bones one time or something like that and after that any time I tried to eat fish I was always very causious incase there was a bone lurking somewhere, , lots of times I have even had a full big fish fillet infront of me and after one mouthful if I got a single bone in it I would just dump the whole lot right into the bin, I would never ever take the chance, no way !

So I am hoping some of you guys are right into all the different types of fish etc and can tell me whats best to get for what I am asking please ?

Thanks guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

wowwwwwwwww !!!!

was doing some looking on internet, seems like the only other types of fish that i am on about would be cod or haddock loin cuts, they are super expensive though man

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts

Don't think I've ever found a bone in a Whiting fillet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had SHARK once tasted nice and had no bones in probably would have seen them easily anyway.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littleun2 View Post
    I had SHARK once tasted nice and had no bones in probably would have seen them easily anyway.......
    I have tried all that stuff, fresh cooked right out of the water, crocs, sharks, whale, octopus etc etc etc, to me they all have texture like rubber, anyways, that original question about bones is more important,

p.s
    fresh sea crab cooked right infront of you whilst still alive is the best taste ever by the way, has to be straight out the ocean and cooked alive there and then though, same with muscles too, excellent, but anyway, back to the bones subject
    Last edited by Saltire; 8th July, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Bass seems to have a lot less bones than most of the fish I've eaten.

I usually have just one feed of herrings in winter and chew well as herring seems to be bone armageddon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

ahh bass ? I forgot about that one, so litrally no chance of bones on that them yea ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

i had a big haddock loin cut earlier, zero bones and very tasty, but also very expensive too .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
    ahh bass ? I forgot about that one, so litrally no chance of bones on that them yea ?
    Your user name is Saltire while mine should be satire. Obviously there is a few bones in Bass otherwise the damn thing would fall to pieces.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Bass is the king of fish............finest taste and the texture is excellent...............when bass is presented cooked whole you must eat it with two forks.............use them to remove the spine and bones without leaving any behind........to do this find the lateral line and remove the meat on both sides using both forks opposing each other..........then when the facing half of the spine is exposed grab it and lift it off the plate leaving the other half behind relatively bone free.
    Tools owned..... Kess3 Master, Bitbox, TGFlash, VVDI2 Full, VVDI Prog, VVDI MB Tool, VVDI Mini Tool, VVDI Key Tool Max Pro, VCX series for BMW Ford Mazda Jaguar Land rover VAG Toyota Volvo GM, PCM Flash + Scanmatik2, Lonsdor K518ise, Magic tank and every other piece of Chinese crap out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ask for "boned & skinned" fish, any type you want

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Carp , Bream, Pike and maybe Chub. They deffo the best fish for bones, but i cant understand anyone wanting to chew a mouthful of bones. ?

if you dont like bones then sea fish like Cod, Sea bass, Mackerel, once cooked you can lift the bone out in 1 piece . also sea bream. but my favourite is Tuna steak, superb fish without bones.

willicks and muscles are nice too.

squid is like chewing rubber

prawns are nice.

crabs are nice too but dodgy as **** , you must get them very fresh or you get a good chance of food poising.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Jellyfish you asked

As someone who has just started eating fish again after 40 years of not bothering, cod or haddock.
    My master plan is to live forever..... going to plan so far
    Despite the cost of living, it's still very popular.
    No good deed goes unpunished....

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts

Ditto............

north east england from the posh end of scotswood road
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I worked in Iceland for a while in the north west fjords and the only time all of the worms were removed from the fish was when we had an order from marks and spensers,so whatever fish you do get,maybe give them a try because their factory inspectors are shit hot.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast