Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts

Many thx to the OP great tut......

@ digicon & nutsandbolts

Many thx for the reply's shut work down early today so i could get round to sorting this dish out

many thx for the advice you both gave me...both answers had me puzzled at 1st

so i sat & thought about it & it hit me like a fish slap across the face....
    point everything true south then get the box to move the dish to 28.2 then fine tune the dish (up-down-left-right-shake it all about ) ...Then the penny dropped ...what a fool i feel ...but we all have to start somewhere....

@ nutsandbolts
    the motor is great mate & so quite & easy to setup (when you know how) ...saying that its the 1st setup i have had...but i would recommend the motor to all...

Now i have to think about a Linux box which to buy & the next steps on the ladder to learn the rope's .....how to & what to do with the box to get.....well you know what

Just one last Q are all the Linux boxes the same to setup or are there ones easier then other's ???
    budget is not a prob ...but knowledge is very limited at the moment...guess i have a lot of more reading to do...but i want to kick this F3 box in to space ..all tho its been great for the past 12 months.....time to move on...

Again Many thx...

I pickup all the sat's in the list in the photo below (just to test the motor & setup) but not Eutelsat 10E....should i pick this sat up ???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P&D; 20th September, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to P&D For This Useful Post:

Nutsandbolts (20th September, 2013)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Hi. I dont know anything about Linux boxes but am a genius with motors like TM2600. I can tell you that my customers in London with a 1m dish can pick up the following satellites: 3, 4.8, 7, 9, 10, 13, 16, 19.2, 21, 23.5, 26, 28.2, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45, 46, 53, 57 East. 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12.5, 15, 22, 24.5, 27, 30 West. Let us know if you require further help with motor.

Regards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutsandbolts For This Useful Post:

P&D (21st September, 2013)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Not too sure if that Tree could cause you problems on some satellites but if you can get 9.0? east the 10? east should be possible, Again unsure of your location but with that 'L' mount and spacing from the back wall your ARC should be at least around 57? east to 45? west obviously depending on line of sight that only yourself can see.

Get a Linux receiver you will not regret it, Best bet is to have a look at the guides in the Enigma2 and dreambox section as well as the VU section as well.

Main difference is a VU will flash firmware/images the same as the Sky/openbox ie: via USB and the DM800se etc.. flash firmware/Images via Ethernet from a laptop/PC

Everthing else done to maintain the box is done identical on both models ie: Dreambox edit for channels and FTP to access the box as well as Telnet for various command procedures

Sounds a little daunting at first but it is very easy after a few attempts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

P&D (21st September, 2013)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts

Many thx digicon

i will look it to the boxes later this week...seems to be a bit scary looking at it ....but i guess once you get to know what your doing it become's easier ...
    the box is downloading all the sat's transponders & channels at the moment (multi search) but i will check the sat's you suggest when its finished.

Regards P & D

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts

Hi digicon again many thx for the advice...

I have been reading so much on Dk....my eye's are glued to 2 straws from McDonalds

I have jumped in at the deep end..not worth doing things by half ...so i'm going to ordered monday ...Vu+ Solo2 Full HD DVB-S2 Twin Tuner Linux Satellite Receiver HDTV PVR Ready Vuplus Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Solo2 Vu+ Solo2 Vu+Sol

Plz tell me i have made a good choice
    stupid question but have to ask it...does the box have to have a hard drive ?? they are only selling TB 1 & 2 hard drives....what size would be ok on the box

In all the reading i have done i found someone the said there was a dummies guide for these box but for the life of me i cannot find it...

sorry to be a pain mate...but is the Catseye files along the same lines as Aj's channel list ???
    also they provide a service to install Vix-Blackhole or Vti.....are these easy to install or is it worth the extra for them to do this.

Many thx for your time it is much appreciated mate
    Last edited by P&D; 21st September, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

You have got one of the more recent E2 rolls royce of receivers i had one and know you will not be disappointed, The image flashing is basically the same as the F3/F5 image onto USB stick switch receiver off at the rear insert stick wit for display to say found upgrade and press the power button on the front of the Solo2.

While you have ordered i would advise you to read as many guides as possible and also download VUCC 0.7 which is the easiest to use frontend for FTP/Telnet etc..

You will also need a Multisatellite channel list Catseye is very good and so is Vhannibals, For loading these you can use the channel uploader function in VUCC but i would say install Dreamboxedit and get used to using thst incase you wnat to create your own modified list.

As Always if you get stuck the help is always here

10. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

P&D (22nd September, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi all, hope someone can help me.

I had motorized dish setup over the weekend, problem is = I can get most of the satellites on the East (Hotbird, astra1 and 2) but can't get any signal on satellites on the West (Thor)

after so much of reading, I think i found out what the problem is but don't know how to fix it.

I am based in Leicester and based on quick g00gle search my latitude and longitude should be N 52.63 & W 1.13 BUT I lose signal as soon as I put these figures on my USALS, I get clear signals on east satellites
    when my longitude is E1.13 - can someone please help.

Universal Lnb
    Technomate TM-2300 M2 Motor
    1.1m dish
    Echolink - I will get a better box soon

Thanks is advance
    Last edited by cabuukar; 23rd September, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    657 Posts

Hi mate

Your correct Long is 1.1W ......1.1E is in Norwich
    when you set the dish up did you point everything true south ?? before setting it up for the sats also is the motor set on 0

your true south plz see photo......is you postcode **74 2**
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P&D; 24th September, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to P&D For This Useful Post:

cabuukar (24th September, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks mate, will try that over the weekend....I am too scared to touch it now in case I lose it.....(someone set it up for me so not sure what he did) but after a lot of reading, E1.1 didn't make sense.

since I am already getting hotbird astra1 and 2 and others sats on East, is it just a case of going to one of those sats then puts my correct longitude then moving the angle of the dish to get clear signal or should I do the below?

get the meter to 0
    Point the dish to true south
    put my lat and lon in usals
    tell usals to go thor 0.8W
    then adjust the dish/motor to get a good signal
    if everything is as it should be (they never are) then tighten them up.

Probably will need to buy sat finder, no?

Thank you
    Last edited by cabuukar; 24th September, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Hi cabuukar. NO you dont need a sat finder. I have never used one and i dont even bother with this true south rubbish. Its very simple really. You just do the following:
    1) Make sure receiver has an up to date channel list for the sats you wish to find. Enter your USALS figures for your location.
    2) Send motor to a sat ie Hotbird. It does NOT matter which sat you line USALS up with( this is why i dont bother with true south).
    3) If you dont get a signal/picture on Hotbird then loosen the dish slightly(not the motor) and move dish slowly up/down and left/right until you get a picture. Tighten dish up and check all channels ok. USALS is now set up correctly and will move dish accuratelly to other sats. Then its a question of adjusting motor tail elevation or dish angles until all sats come in. If you dont get the west sats its because your motor tail is too low and need to be raised a bit. Check also your LNB is skewed correctly, i prefer to have the LNB head against the holder and in a central position as this works for me everytime.

Take it from me its very easy to setup a motor but it can take a bit of time.Hope this helps you.

Regards.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutsandbolts For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will have a go at it over the weekend....I will defo come back with more questions

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cabuukar For This Useful Post:

Nutsandbolts (24th September, 2013)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Hi cant wait to find out what the questions might be....Please remember to look after yourself if going up a ladder with tools etc.

Take care.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutsandbolts For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Then its a question of adjusting motor tail elevation or dish angles until all sats come in

not the motor tail method again!!!! every other installer i know beit professional or hobbiest does not move the motor lat.. E.G. if your lat/long was 54N 3W you would set the lat on the motor at ground level to 54 and then not touch it again. set the dish elevation to about 30. on the stb put in the usals menu, lat 54N 3W then select 11.862.H.28000 on thor 5/6@0.8W and send the motor there. on the ladder move the entire thing left and right slowly untill you get a quality reading on txp 11.862.H.28000 and a picture on bbc world news. if you dont get a picture ajust the dish elevation down to about 29 degree,s and try again. anywhere in the uk you should get a signal between 27 and 33 degrees at a guess i cant say for certain. if you use this method your dish will track the arc correctly. this is the method most people use and the guides follow but each to there own i guess and @nutsandbolts seems to have some success doing it his way but i know which way i would choose. as stated be carefull when working at height on ladders and get a friend to help you if possible ,regards mdt
    Last edited by mdt; 26th September, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
    DM800HDSE SIM 2.10. SSL84D OPEN-ATV ORBITAL 80CM/DARK MOTOR/IBU/53E-30W

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdt For This Useful Post:

cabuukar (25th September, 2013), Nutsandbolts (25th September, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks guys,

I couldnt resist but get the ladder and check both the motor and dish angles.............according to the table of the booklet that came with my motor, the dish bracket should be 22.5 but if you look the pic below............mine is setup close to 40.............could that be the reason i am getting signal on 1.13E instead of 1.13W??

the motor looks right I think....sorry pic of the motor isn't clear.

20130925_070230_resized.jpg20130925_071746.jpg
    Last edited by cabuukar; 25th September, 2013 at 07:26 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Hi. mdt - the reason i have success is very simple really. As you know the info given by guides and so called experts is never gospel thats why we need the flexibility to adjust things along the way. As i have done it many times before its easy to spot where a problem may lie. As you know when installing a motor there can be a variety of problems ie motor tail may be a bit to high or to low, dish angles may be incorrect etc. Also as dishes come in many sizes and makes plus mountings etc then you need to make adjustments for this factors as well . You need to get the balance right for it to work.

Hi cabuukar. Try to and use USALS settings as 52N-00.1W. Again this figure is never gospel and can be changed until you find the correct one. With regards to your dish angles again this can be altered as you go along until you find the correct one. I would have the dish pointing straight ahead in a central position. You dont want the dish pointing down too low or too high but just central. If you are going to start from Thor sateillite at 1west then look for test channels called AGED CARE or BTV-1(freq: 11246V s/r 24500). These channels will line your dish perfectly to the satellite. I use this channels all the time to line up 1 west.
    Regards.