Beautiful looking lush green Lawn, how to ?
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Question Beautiful looking lush green Lawn, how to ?

Whats the best way to get a really nice vibrant green Lawn ?

We have a massive garden area nearly the size of a 5 a side football pitch, plus another two smaller gardens too, so plenty of lawn to be looked after.

Over the years we have tried several different types of fertalisers usually always to find that after a day or two the lawns have lots of scorched patches that the fertaliser has obviously burnt the grass etc.

Spoke to a gardener and he says that he gets his lawn perfectly green and great looking by spreading some type of sand over the lawn after it is cut and then watering the lawn well, but I have never heard of that method and I wouldnt even know what type of sand he meant and I forgot to ask him.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas please ?

(p.s, trying to keep it nice and simple too because of the sheer size of the area's of lawn as I mentioned).
    Last edited by Saltire; 12th July, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

anyone got green fingers ?

north east england from the posh end of scotswood road
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Any kind of feed with eaweed extract in it is ood mate,apart from he smell....jesus,this keyboard,i mean seaweed,i live near the coast,just grab a bagfull and steep it in water and feed the lawn...

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

What about concreting the lot.

If fertiliser is burning might be too strong It rusts metal

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    263 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    What about concreting the lot.

If fertiliser is burning might be too strong It rusts metal
    i thought that, but then i thought. Why not buy one of those fence panel spraying machine things?? and buy some bright green spray paint..

Oh and you could knock on for RS. bring his horses down fae girvan?? save cutting it aswell..

Obv dont use both at the same time as one or the other may die of poisoning or something??
    ich bin stolz ein deutscher zu sein.

Meathead Lufter Verein - iScheitern

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalipo View Post
    i thought that, but then i thought. Why not buy one of those fence panel spraying machine things?? and buy some bright green spray paint..

Oh and you could knock on for RS. bring his horses down fae girvan?? save cutting it aswell..

Obv dont use both at the same time as one or the other may die of poisoning or something??

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Agricultural lime is used to reduce the ph level and thus encourage green growth.............it is grey in color and is spread before rain.................do this along with 10-10-20 fertiliser spread sparsely but evenly over the lawn and you will achieve a beautiful lush green lawn............oh and don't forget to mow the lawn twice a week on a low height to encourage it to thicken up.
    Tools owned..... Kess3 Master, Bitbox, TGFlash, VVDI2 Full, VVDI Prog, VVDI MB Tool, VVDI Mini Tool, VVDI Key Tool Max Pro, VCX series for BMW Ford Mazda Jaguar Land rover VAG Toyota Volvo GM, PCM Flash + Scanmatik2, Lonsdor K518ise, Magic tank and every other piece of Chinese crap out there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to darrenhyland For This Useful Post:

Saltire (27th July, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darrenhyland View Post
    Agricultural lime is used to reduce the ph level and thus encourage green growth.............it is grey in color and is spread before rain.................do this along with 10-10-20 fertiliser spread sparsely but evenly over the lawn and you will achieve a beautiful lush green lawn............oh and don't forget to mow the lawn twice a week on a low height to encourage it to thicken up.
    but what if the lime in the soil isn't needing the ph level reduced, I take it you mean, alkaline and acidity ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

all top soil is acidic due to the nature of soil...................alkaline conditions may be found in subsoil lower down but grass roots only exist in the top one or two inches where the acidity levels are higher.
    Tools owned..... Kess3 Master, Bitbox, TGFlash, VVDI2 Full, VVDI Prog, VVDI MB Tool, VVDI Mini Tool, VVDI Key Tool Max Pro, VCX series for BMW Ford Mazda Jaguar Land rover VAG Toyota Volvo GM, PCM Flash + Scanmatik2, Lonsdor K518ise, Magic tank and every other piece of Chinese crap out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lawn sand is available easily but is a pain to put on as you usually brush it on evenly and usually spring or autumn. Best lawns have (after cutting grass) a good scarify to get the thatch out and then spike the ground to aerate it. Wait 2 days then use a lawn weed and feed, and best thing is to water it in straight away (unless rain due within a few hours) then wait 2 more days to cut.

Sent from my OZZY using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I used to work in lawn maintenance, the easiest "if you have a some what healthy lawn" is to mow every week instead of every 2 weeks, when you mow switch patterns every week, one week mow left to right next week up and down etc etc. set auto sprinkler to water for 5 minutes at each station a total of 2-3 times instead of 15 minutes non stop, 15 minutes will just give you water runoff 10 minutes split into 2 5 minute sessions in good enough in most cases as grass roots are only 3-4 inches deep if I recall. Water every 3-4 days and cancel on days when it rains. Other then that, aerate and a little fertilizer every year but not to much.