Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The 'I Just Got My PSP' Tutorial v1.0

The 'I Just Got My PSP' Tutorial v1.0

1) Introduction:

Congratulations! You?re the owner of one of the most dynamic entertainment devices ever created. With your new PSP, your photos, music and videos are always just a flick of the power switch away. Maximizing your ?PSP experience? shouldn?t be a difficult task, and with the help of this and other guides; you should be well on your way to portable bliss.

This guide was written to serve as a source of answers for new PSP owners who are either confused by, or haven?t bothered reading the PSP manual. If you were referred here by someone in an IRC channel then you?ve probably asked a question that could be found by searching, or by reading further?

2) Out of the Box
    Well, you got the thing? let?s get the box open.

Box Contents (Value Pack)
    PSP System
    AC Power Cord
    AC Adapter
    Battery Pack
    Headphones with Remote Control
    32MB Memory Stick Duo
    Write Strap
    Pouch
    Cleaning Cloth
    Manual
    UMD Demo Disc

Not in the box
    USB (Full ~ Mini) Cord
    Memory Stick Reader

The PSP Value Pack includes everything you need to start enjoying game?s and other UMD media. What it doesn?t come with is a way to move media both to and from your Memory Stick Duo. To do this you need to purchase a USB (Full ~ Mini) Cord or a PC based Memory Stick Reader. Most digital cameras come with a USB cord that can be used with the PSP. If you own a digital camera, you may already have the necessary connections.

3) Initial Setup and Charging

Grab your PSP manual. If you don?t have one then the online version can be found here .

I?m not going to re-type what?s already been written. What I will do though is point you directly to the pages of the manual that correspond to what we?re talking about here.

Getting Started
    Insert the PSP Battery Pack (Pg. 25)
    Charging (Pg. 26 and 38)
    Initial Setup (Pg 27)

Once you?ve completed the Initial setup as instructed in the PSP manual; it?s a good idea to check your firmware version. PSP?s manufactured for North American consumers ship with firmware version 1.50 or 1.52. While there are external indicators as to what firmware version your PSP has, the easiest and most accurate way is to simply check the PSP?s settings menu.

Scroll to the ?Settings? selection on the far left of the PSP menu.
    Scroll down to the ?System Settings? menu and press the X button.
    Scroll down to the ?System Information? menu and press the X button.

At this point you should be presented with a screen displaying the MAC Address, System Software, and the Nickname you?ve given your PSP. The number listed after ?Version? indicates what version firmware your PSP currently has.

Version 1.00: Homebrew friendly, JDM PSP.
    Version 1.50: Homebrew friendly after exploits.
    Version 1.52: Not homebrew friendly. No known working exploits.
    Version 1.51: Not homebrew friendly, but that?s the least of your problems.

As stated earlier, North American PSP?s shipped with firmware versions 1.50 or 1.52. Version 1.51 was released as a network update over a month before the exploitable flaws of Version 1.50 were discovered. If your new PSP states its version 1.51 then it?s safe to assume that it isn?t new at all. It?s very likely that you?ve purchased a returned PSP that?s been resold as new.

Adding and Organizing Media (Photos/Music/Movies)

One of the PSP?s best features is its ability to display and playback various media types. These media types include JPEG pictures, MP3 and ATRAC audio, and MP4 encoded video.

Formatting your Memory Stick Duo

Scroll to the ?Settings? menu and then to ?System Settings? and press X.
    Scroll to ?Format Memory Stick? and press X.
    When asked if you want to format the Memory Stick Duo highlight ?Yes? and press the X button.

Once the PSP is done formatting your Memory Stick Duo, you?re ready to connect it to your PC and complete the file structure setup.

If you?re using a USB cable connected to your PSP:

Exit the system settings menu, scroll up to ?USB Connection? and press X.
    Connect the USB cable to your PSP as instructed in the manual. (Pg. 96)

Your PC should recognize the Memory Stick Duo and assign it a drive letter.

If you?re using a Memory Stick Reader:

Power you PSP off to insure it?s not attempting to access your Memory Stick Duo.
    Remove your Memory Stick Duo from your PSP and insert it in your Memory Stick Reader.

Your PC should recognize the Memory Stick Duo and assign it a drive letter.

File Structure

Root
    DCIM (Folder)
    101MSDCF (Folder)

MP_ROOT (Folder)
    100MNV01 (Folder)

PSP (Folder)
    GAME (Folder)
    MUSIC (Folder)
    PHOTO (Folder)
    SAVEDATA (Folder)

MEMSTICK.IND (System File)

Pictures and Photos:

Root:PSPPHOTO
    Root:PSPPHOTOFamily
    Root:PSPPHOTOFamilyPark

Music and Audio

Root:PSPMUSIC
    Root:PSPMUSICHip Hop
    Root:PSPMUSICHip HopKanye West

Pictures and Music/Audio are the easiest to place correctly on the Memory Stick Duo. Simply place the Pictures or Audio files in the appropriate folders and the PSP will display them in its menu.

Reminder: Pictures MUST be in JPEG format and Music must be either MP3 or ATRAC.

Video:

The file structure for Videos is a little different. While the video files must be in the correct folder, they also must adhere to a very specific naming convention for the PSP to display them.

Root:MP_ROOT100MNV01 M4V10001.MP4
    Root:MP_ROOT100MNV01 M4V10002.MP4
    Root:MP_ROOT100MNV01 FamilyGuyEpe1.MP4

MP4 encoded videos must be named M4V*****.MP4 to be recognized by your PSP. The * in the file name represents a number from 0 ? 9.

PSP Video 9 will convert, name and place video files properly on your PSP.

Once your Picture. Music and Video files anr tranferred to your Memory Stick Duo, you should be able to view them in the appropriate places in your PSP's menu.

Tutorial written by Seek

Let the others come after us, We welcome the chase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i also got one