Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Question Super Fast Fiber Broadband now taking orders in my area, whats best ?

as the title says "Super fast Fiber Broadband now taking orders in my area, whats best ?"

What company is extremely poor and what is great or not too bad etc ?

I want UNLIMITED !

Another thing, I UTTERLY HATE FOREIGN CALL CENTRES, so thats a concern for me !!

I also like if the Tech people on the other end of the phone actually know what they are talking about
    rather than me actually knowing about 95% more of the Tech than they do !

Lastly I suppose, I want the fastest unlimited speeds (download and upload) with the unlimited calls
    to UK Landlines 24 hrs a day and mobiles would be a bonus, but not totally required. (for best long
    term price).

Reason why I ask before buying is because I have only been used to Virgin and Sky before now,
    so I dont have a clue about Super Fast Fiber from other providers although I know and can see
    there seem to be lots available. (virgin was and is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my
    life and wouldnt ever touch them with a bargepole again EVER).

I would also like the main phone socket that is just now at the front of my house moved to the side
    rear of the house, not internally, externally only (the hole is already drilled, so they dont even need
    to do that).

Hope some people can help me as I plan to order soon as possible but most likely after the new year now.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Saltire; 22nd December, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

All the lines and installs are done by bt openreach or a sub contracter no matter who you take your broadband with as for customer service it a lottery nearly call centre go back to india i have bt infinity2 and when it works it is great but customer service is terrible lots of problems with the hh5 they supply i am told plusnet is ok my friend uses ee fibre and never had a problem so you need to speak to other people with fibre

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bandit boy For This Useful Post:

Saltire (23rd December, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Anyone else got any opinions then please, plus thanks bandit boy.

Anyone ?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
    Anyone else got any opinions then please, plus thanks bandit boy.

Anyone ?
    what did you go for in the end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bandit boy View Post
    what did you go for in the end
    nothing yet mate, I thought maybe some others might have been able to give opinions too, so I was waiting, and as it was the time of year that really nothing would get done anyway, deliveries or fitting etc, I thought best just to wait until after the new year, so that's exactly what I done, just waited, so if anyone else has any opinions then please let me know thanks, and thanks again bandit boy for getting back to me and ask etc, cheers I phoned a few of them up, but its a bit like a needle in a haystack isn't it, LOL ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

HAPPY NEW 2015

Послато са GT-I9001 користећи Тапаток 2

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Did u find one in the end ? I have been with bt for over a yr and a half with only one prob which happened on the install. I rung there help number which went thro to India and I ask to be redirected to someone in England and they did. Think they escalated to a tier 2 and England deals with it then...can't remember the whole thing now. But no probs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to griff For This Useful Post:

Saltire (18th March, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Did u find one in the end ? I have been with bt for over a yr and a half with only one prob which happened on the install. I rung there help number which went thro to India and I ask to be redirected to someone in England and they did. Think they escalated to a tier 2 and England deals with it then...can't remember the whole thing now. But no probs
    thanks mate, but no, I haven't picked one yet and still stuck with the slow rubbish I have which works anyway, but It would be great if some people that have went the new super fast fiber broadband way to let me know whats the best of the deals and companies etc ?

(I don't mean Virgin either, they are the worst in my opinion).

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I am on bt infinity and get 80meg download speed at all times. I was with Virgin which was good until the traffic management! If u downloaded more then 3.5 gig I was cut to 20 meg ! So i left. Doesn't all the other company's use bt's lines ! So the speeds would be the same, just the deals different ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to griff For This Useful Post:

Saltire (18th March, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I am on bt infinity and get 80meg download speed at all times. I was with Virgin which was good until the traffic management! If u downloaded more then 3.5 gig I was cut to 20 meg ! So i left. Doesn't all the other company's use bt's lines ! So the speeds would be the same, just the deals different ?
    Yea, they all use the same line (originally BT and serviced by "Openreach") and now you have FTTC (fiber optic to the main street cabinet) and then its just copper cables that come from that to the house I believe and exactly the same as what Virgin/NTL have always done too, same thing but different main cabinets obviously.

Strange thing is though, has anyone ever seen "Openreach" or any other contractor running the fiber optic cabling to the main BT/openreach cabinet in their streets considering that a massive majority of the UK is now already done "allegedly", you can even check here if your area is done in both Scotland and England >>> http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/ and http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/ .

Also, if no one has noticed openreach or a contractor putting in fiber cable to the cabinet in their area, could it simply be they mean FTTC (fiber to the cabinet) and that maybe means in reality Fiber to the local telephone exchange rather than the main cabinet in your street/steets ??? I wonder ? (I know for a fact that its not Fiber to the house (virgin isn't either as I say), it is possible and does happen but only in very selected tiny areas and costs a total fortune too).

If that's the case then surely the speed would still drop a lot if your a distance from the Local telephone exchange as It would just be the same old copper wires for miles going to peoples streets and houses etc, know what I mean ??

That's actually a good question, I wonder if anyone knows please ??

Also, if its saying my line is now accepting orders for Super fast then is there a way we can check online to see the average speed we could get to the house ? anyone know ? if so, please post a link or something, will ya please ?

edit : just thought, maybe openreach use the ducts for the fibre optic cables that have always been in place for the old copper phone cables all these years, could that be why we don't see them digging up all the roads/street etc like I asked ???? (Like virgin/ntl had to do).
    Last edited by Saltire; 19th March, 2015 at 01:23 AM. Reason: updated

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Bt have the check somewhere on there site. I will find a link later. On infinity it's up to 86meg They said I would get up to 55meg at my house but I do get 80meg, suppose they have to be conservative...bt use the old copper cables from yrs ago prob when the houses were built where as virgin pull new ones.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to griff For This Useful Post:

Saltire (21st March, 2015)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Im on 100mb line with Virgin and there has hardly been a fault, using a 5ghz router and the wireless is 100mb also.

Only thing i can fault is that the shipped hub is garbage (well mine was)

Call centre can be a bit hit and miss

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cunny For This Useful Post:

Saltire (21st March, 2015)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

What is the traffic management like ? It's says the are managing uploads now not downloads ? Do u use newgroups ? It was the only reason I left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Bt have the check somewhere on there site. I will find a link later. On infinity it's up to 86meg They said I would get up to 55meg at my house but I do get 80meg, suppose they have to be conservative...bt use the old copper cables from yrs ago prob when the houses were built where as virgin pull new ones.
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...of-up-to-80mb) ( You will notice it says they use new fibre optic cables from the exchange to the main street cabinet and then the copper cables from the cabinet to each house (exactly the same as Virgin/NTL).

( this is the link for estimated speed checker when you put in your landline number and post code )>> http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...speed-checker/

It tells me this for my details " Yes! You can get superfast BT Infinity FIBRE BROADBAND You could get
    74Mb-80Mb
    Estimated download speed range* "

I tried my relatives address which is literally about a 2 minute walk round the corner and served with the same phone exchange and his speed for some reason dropped to "You could get
    61Mb-80Mb
    Estimated download speed range* " which is strange, only thing I can think of is that my house and street is only a few years old and new houses and road etc, so I imagine the main street cabinet for my street must be all fully new and new copper cables to the houses too where as his must be another Cabinet and old copper cables to his house, that's all I can think of, but anyway, that's not in question.

Anyways, with these results, does this defo mean that I can 100% get super fast broadband whether I choose bt or sky or plusnet or whoever I wish to choose ??, that's my main worry, and I still wonder who is best ?? if there is one thing I hate is bad customer service and also even worse is Foreign call centres, I would not go near a company that has foreign call centres, , no chance.

I notice that plusnet have what looks to me a great deal just now for Super fast 74Mb-80Mb and free unlimited 24/7 calls to landlines, for 6 months its I think ?20 per month and then after that ?30, that sounds great to me man, but I have no idea what like they are as a company and customer service etc, ohh and its "Unlimited" broadband too 24/7 (no restrictions), I think sky do a similar deal too but a bit more expensive, I cant remember.

I would also be VERY much interested in a company that allows you to pay a full years line rental up front so that can reduce the monthly direct debit, or better still just let me pay for the whole year everything included in a one off payment instead of any direct debit, that would be excellent if they could do that, plus it would hopefully take away all that nonsense of running credit checks and all that too as I hate that if they turn round and say you have been declined, it wouldn't be the first its happened !!!

So should I be ready to go if its telling me that info and also on open reach link here ?? >>>> https://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

It says "
    Exchange name: blah blah blah

Good news. Your serving cabinet is enabled for fibre broadband. Please note, in a minority of instances that doesn't guarantee your availability. Contact your preferred communications provider for your home or business to order.

Bearing in mind that I haven't contacted any company yet apart from looking online as I already have done like I said and currently only have old rubbish normal slow broadband at 3.8MB download speed, LOL, but its beginning to annoy me even though its perfectly fine for even watching Full HD Online stuff etc, does that no problem at all, but like I say, its a bit slow at some other things, it is extremely cheap though, that's the upside, .

For years I had NTL/Virgin (fibre optic fast) and it was great when it worked but it broke down so many times, I mean 100's of times over the years, I ended up just saying enough is enough and never again with virgin, and I found that as I complained more and more (rightly so too) they started to get very harsh with their treatment of a paying customer, so no, I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole.
    Last edited by Saltire; 21st March, 2015 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

anyone got best ideas on this subject please ? sorry for dragging it on but I aint getting much response so that's why I am bumping it again.

cheers chaps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast