android or pi ?
Register

Thread: android or pi ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default android or pi ?

Is there any advantage to running xbmc on a M8 or dedicated android box to say the latest Rapberry pi and would a 16 gb card (rather than 8gb) improve the pi experince?
    Last edited by mikk; 27th March, 2015 at 03:20 PM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    269 Posts

m8 flash with linux only,, nothing beats it,, raspberry pi is not good for xbmc,, no wifi, not enough codecs unless you pay,
    If i helped you please press thanx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

" not enough codecs unless you pay," isnt the codec pack only ?1.50 ?
    They come with android but work better when overwritten with Linux-which flavour ? Can anybody recomend a Chinese supplier?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    269 Posts

yes like i said you have to buy codec pack,, but still doesn;t play everything,,

when it comes to m8 buy anywhere,, it is pretty fast even with android,, I found as far for just XBMC/KODI mx2 boxes with linux installed works very good,,,
    If i helped you please press thanx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to janushaan For This Useful Post:

mikk (14th June, 2015)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

the raspberry pi2 with openelec will run rings around a android tv box and the support is second to none. also the raspberry is built in the uk with decent components unlike the mx
    dm500hd -dm500hd v2-vu+duo- triax 1.1m - inverto lnb - technomate 2300 motor- linksys ddwrt router

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I got the pi 2 but not impressed at all. Running Helix 90% of stuff just doesn't play (broken links?), and when you find a good one, return the following day and its broken! Poor picture quality too compared to (sd) sat. I thought it would be a good alternative for live sport but freezing, disconnections and broken links make it pretty much useless. Films may be better but still doesn't beat the torrent/popcorn hour solution.