Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Looking for an upgrade to a Skybox F5 - vu+solo or Miraclebox Micro?

Looking to upgrade a Skybox F5, for something quicker and with a better remote.

Looking about ?100 and like the look of the Miraclebox Premium Micro and the VU+ solo,
    same/v.similar hardware, slightly more support for images with the solo

Any opinions as to which is the better box, or any other picks at this price?

Cheers
    Last edited by giraffe; 12th March, 2016 at 10:51 AM.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

If your after a single tuner for under ?100 then Edision OS mini @?79 from WOS.

As to the boxes you have listed the VU+solo @?159 from WOS is a premium box way better then the Edision and the Miraclebox. The only difference between the Edision and the Miraclebox @?79 from WOS is the Edision has built in WIFI which could be useful, they both seem to have the same Broadcom dual thread cpu working to 2000 Dmips

As to images provided for each box, most people use Openvix or OpenAtv so as long as the box supports these images you're OK.

Or if you really want to go budget then look at the Zgemma H.S on the bay for around about ?64

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martin035 For This Useful Post:

digicon (12th March, 2016), giraffe (12th March, 2016), jovie (13th March, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi Martin, Thanks for your reply,
    edit - I meant VU+ zero rather than solo

Yes the Edision OS mini looks like a good receiver, with good support but it is a bit industrial looking but lacking DLNA which would be handy as i've got a server, wifi not needed as i've got wired internet available.

The Miraclebox looks good, but can't find much online about them - just a smaller manufacturer? same/similar hardware and more attractive box - also DLNA (server & client)
    Is the community support the reason for the preference for the Edision?

re Zgemma - great price but happy to pay a little more this time
    Last edited by giraffe; 12th March, 2016 at 02:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

martin035 (12th March, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

DLNA I thought that was software based and not reliant on hardware ie for an Enigma2 machine it's available as a software plugin - DLNAserver or DLNAbrowser but could be wrong as my Samsung TV acts as my DLNA client so don't use my Zgemma for this feature.
    Last edited by martin035; 12th March, 2016 at 02:57 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin035 For This Useful Post:

digicon (12th March, 2016), giraffe (12th March, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quite correct DLNA on OpenATV is set to ON by default and finds my Microserver and other share servers no problem on various receivers

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

giraffe (12th March, 2016), martin035 (12th March, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah Ok excellent,

So I'm assuming the Edision is the preferred box of the Miraclebox micro then?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

TBH the only difference between the Edision to the Miraclebox is the WIFI (which you're not worried about) or the cosmetic appeal of the box (Which you are worried about) other than that both boxes are the same inside and at the same price. The choice is down to you, either way its a major better option that an openbox.

Both boxes are well support firmware wise by openatv & openvix here and I'm sure members on the forum will give you help with any questions you might have with regards setting it up (i'm Openatv by the way )
    http://images2.mynonpublic.com/opena...ent/index.php?
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/