Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by happy_highlander View Post
    Surge protection for power spikes. Lan cables carry enough power to wipe out your components. No point running cat6 if your going to use homeplugs. Your system will only run at the speed of the slowest connection which will be the homeplugs
    thanks for this highlander more food for thought. From what ive read the cat6 for the sole purpose of hdmi sending or extending is ok to still use as it isnt connecting to the network it is sending hdmi. If my sonos amp runs off a wifi bridge and then my dm800 or zgemma connects to homeplug would my intended set up be ok??
    Im all about sending a true hd signal to my tv and getting a discrete ir blaster to change channel. I will also prob run a cat 5 to the smart tv to utilise the smart functions. I dont see any need is this moment to worry about a superfast network in the extension. If i can run my sat receiver smart tv so on ill be a happy man.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Still need to look at decent surge protection. If any of the components get hit there is a fair chance they will all go down. What I'm saying is just because cat6 is being used to send hd signal it can and will still carry enough power to wipe out everything. Again homeplugs are the weak link as they should be connected directly to plug socket (not through surge protection) with lan cable carrying power to receiver bypassing all other surge protection. Don't get me wrong i use homeplugs and take the same chance as everyone else . Just a little something to think about. If you can avoid it best to do so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12