Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Default ECU/ECM/CECU etc problem

Hello members,
    This time I want to open a discussion based on the experience of the members of DK, technicians, experts,
    ie about ECM / ECU / CECU or whatever its name.
    The component is the brains of the operation systems so that the vehicle running
    well.
    But once often also problematic that the vehicle is not functioning or run, without our prior cause damage to these components.
    Often also not a long productive life span without cause is not clear.
    The members of the DK, so please be so good as to share experiences, how, what causes
    not intentional so that these components be damaged, tips and tricks so durable do not quickly broken
    anything ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

I have also been told by a technician, when we charging the batteries in the vehicle, it should also be seen
    the condition of the Battery Charger, in addition to having the output DC voltage, AC voltage was also there.
    And each ECM / ECU / CECU have tolerance limits are allowed to receive the AC voltage.
    Perhaps no one knows how the limits are generally output AC voltage on the Battery Charger are allowed
    and how the average limits ECU / ECM / CECU to receive the AC voltage ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

most of the time i get non starting vehicles , the first i hear is " the battery was flat " and they reverse the pos and neg leads , ecu damaged , or they start the car and while it idles they remove battery and fit flat one back , and the nice ones do not follow the correct prosedures during jump start , and yes battery can chager is also a problem i killed a
    a-sam module on a crafter with a faulty chager , and home fited after market sound systems they tap into wires that they should not
    just my input
    and i love the local backyard autolecs , they supply a constant flow of damaged ecu's LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jakesman For This Useful Post:

Roy Suryadwiananda (4th September, 2015)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

For Cummins I can clue from Mondao (DK veteran) on the date August 30, 2010, thanks Mondao, you great man, and how the ECU / ECM from Caterpillar, Iveco, Volvo and others ?
    failure in Cummins, Cummins Celect, and Celect Plus ECMs
    buscando ayuda en linea me encontre estos tips talvez ayuden un poco

Corrosion and moisture:

Corrosion or damage due to moisture is one of the main reasons for ECM failure. Corrosion can enter the ECM through the wiring harness and moisture can enter by a failure in the seals in the ECM itself. This happens over a period of time (5 to 10 years) due to the ECMs exposure to the elements.
    Fuel solenoid:
    The electronic fuel solenoid is also a main reason for failure in the ECM. The solenoid can cause a short in the ECM due to corrosion in the solenoid or the wire running from the solenoid to the ECM harness. The electronic fuel solenoid is located at the top of the fuel pump. The solenoid seems to fail due to corrosion as fast or faster then the ECM. If your truck is running fine then you shut your engine off and it won't restart then this is a good indication that the starter has shorted out the ECM.
    Injector wiring harness:
    The third thing that can cause failure in the ECM is the Injector wiring harness or the sensor wiring harness. Once again corrosion or breaks in the internal wiring in the harness can cause a short in the ECM or corrosion can enter the ECM through the wiring harness. Again this is caused by exposure to the elements.
    Grounding issues:
    Another issue that can cause failure in the ECM is poor grounding. This can be the result of loose or corroded ground wires to the battery or the frame. This is especially problematic in the Celect Plus model.
    Starters:
    Replacing the starter with the wrong model starter is becoming a big problem with the Celect Plus ECMs. Many starter rebuilders will bypass the override sensor in the starter. The override sensor regulates the voltage going to the ECM so when the override sensor is bypassed you will get voltage problems in the ECM and it can generate fault codes or other problems. If you only started having problems with your ECM after installing a starter then the starter is most likely the root of your problem.
    Dead battery cells:
    Dead cells in batteries can cause failure in the ECM. Many times a battery is left in the rig long after a cell has died. This affects the grounding in the battery.
    Jump start:
    If the vehicle has been jump started recently and the cables were connected improperly this can cause a spike in your ECM and cause it to short out. A bad jump can also blow out 2 amps which are located between the ECM and the firewall.
    Welding and lightning:
    Arc welding on the frame can blow out the ECM as well as lightning strikes. This is not very common but it does happen from time to time.

Identifying the problem:
    If your check engine light is on then you should be able to read a fault code from your ECM. The fault codes should help identify where the problem is originating from. You can also check the voltage where the wires come into the ECM harness with a voltmeter. The voltage should be between 9 to 12 volts for optimal usage. Anything 6 or below and you have a problem.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roy Suryadwiananda For This Useful Post:

clusters (4th September, 2015), jarripote (27th July, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,788 Posts

Failed ECM from amateurs poking around sensors with jumper wires like it was a 1970's model, can't do that on newer cars. Seen quite a few from jumping with cheap battery charger on boost when totally dead, lots from battery cables backwards (always expensive), and a few where they disconnected the battery when running to "test the charging system" that had blown diodes in the alternator. That's my favorite, people don't realize that an unregulated or unrectified alternator can put out over 100V AC.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clusters For This Useful Post:

Johnner (4th September, 2015), Roy Suryadwiananda (4th September, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clusters View Post
    Failed ECM from amateurs poking around sensors with jumper wires like it was a 1970's model, can't do that on newer cars. Seen quite a few from jumping with cheap battery charger on boost when totally dead, lots from battery cables backwards (always expensive), and a few where they disconnected the battery when running to "test the charging system" that had blown diodes in the alternator. That's my favorite, people don't realize that an unregulated or unrectified alternator can put out over 100V AC.
    Hello All,
    I have C15 ecm which has no communication,i have this ecm on the bench as i connect this ecm to ET via dpa4 plus it try to connect but after some try it come back with the message no communication,i have checked everything work fine with other ecm,can you great guys give me step by step instruction how to solve this issue i have 5 ecm with the same problem.
    Thans

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Please make a sketch of how your Bench wiring diagram test here...maybe someone can help you.

Do you notice like this?
    C15.jpg
    Last edited by Roy Suryadwiananda; 15th June, 2017 at 09:15 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roy Suryadwiananda For This Useful Post:

saican (15th June, 2017)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Or please try this your CAT ET
    Caterpillar Electronic Technician
    1. Start Program.
    2. Click “Utilities ? Preferences ? Communications” from the menu bar.
    3. Click on “Communication Interface Device” dropdown box.
    4. Select “RP1210 Compliant Device”.
    5. Click “Advanced”
    6. Select “([DEVICE NAME AND/OR DEVICE NUMBER])” in the RP1210 Communication Adapter Device box.
    7. Click Ok
    8. Check "Enable Dual Data Link Service”
    9. Click Ok.

CAT ET.jpg
    Last edited by Roy Suryadwiananda; 15th June, 2017 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot ROY,i have factory communication harness and cat communication adopter ,on one ecm it connect then after disconnect itself ,rest of the ecm it just do't connect.i am sure it is hardware problem.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hi friends, I have a transistor of an ECM Caterpillar injector that is shorted, do you know which replacement could be used? Thanks
    Inyector CAT_ok.jpg

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jarripote View Post
    Hi friends, I have a transistor of an ECM Caterpillar injector that is shorted, do you know which replacement could be used? Thanks
    Inyector CAT_ok.jpg
    Are you have data sheet for this Transistor ?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Suryadwiananda View Post
    Are you have data sheet for this Transistor ?
    Hi, I do not have it, do you have it?, thanks

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jarripote View Post
    Hi, I do not have it, do you have it?, thanks
    Find here > http://www.alldatasheet.com/