Thread: which nas

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default which nas

Hi all.

Looking to store all my movies on a Nas, which I will use my Linux satellite box, Android box with Kodi and pc to access.
    Also want to be able to access it remotely to stream to my Tablet and phone.
    As it is just for this purpose I don't want to spend a huge amount and I don't need more than 2-3 TB as most of the movies aren't very big files.

I have narrowed it down to the Seagate Central 3TB NAS Hard Drive or the WD 3 TB my cloud.

Can anyone suggest which of these would be a better choice, or indeed another Nas of a similar price range?

Thanks everyone.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Have you considered something like a second-hand HP G7 microserver which can be had for a little under ?100 from a certain auction site and has space for future drives as it has 4 bays as well as the top bay with Hacked bios makes it into a 5 bay NAS.

Hard Drives are becoming cheaper and as you say you may only need 2-3TB now but what about further down the line

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    Have you considered something like a second-hand HP G7 microserver which can be had for a little under ?100 from a certain auction site and has space for future drives as it has 4 bays as well as the top bay with Hacked bios makes it into a 5 bay NAS.

Hard Drives are becoming cheaper and as you say you may only need 2-3TB now but what about further down the line
    Thanks for your reply.

Are they network connected. Can I access them remotely with my tablet/smartphone?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

I use synology nss system is great tool with lot off apps. I can recommend it.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Hi
    I didn't wanted to open a new thread... so I am hijacking this one...
    I am in need of upgrade my NAS server, at the moment I have a zyxel 2 bay, with 4tb (2x2tb).
    This one is nearly full, on top of that is set on RAID 0, I know, I am asking for trouble... that's the reason why I need upgrade...
    Anyway, after weeks of researching, and reading reviews, I have decided that the following NAS his the best one for my needs... (oh, DLNA is a must in my case...)
    I am looking to get it with the 24Tb configuration, which will give me 12Tb (RAID 1 as an example...)
    https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/DS415play

Now, does anyone owns this model, if yes, any advises?
    Thank you
    Last edited by lmsvvavr; 3rd January, 2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: wrong info...