Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default zgemma - Advice needed!

So been told about these being the best new boxes on the market, so I spoke to my "guy" if you will and he wanted ?300 for installation and then ?100 a year thereafter, didn't think this was right so noticed I can get a decent box brand new for around ?70 - so I bought one!

It's just been delivered and I'm keen to get it set up and running, I was wondering what I actually need, do I need to get a sky dish installed again? And also guess I require the Internet? (The flat I've just moved into used to have Virgin but I guess I can't use there sockets??)

Once I have these 2 things is it a case of flashing it and installing the fancy Sky style skin? How easy are they to flash and where can I get the files from?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Simon

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Yes, you will require a satellite dish, if there's one already at the flat then that should work. Internet also required but isn't essential as the Zgemma will work as a free to air receiver without it.

You can get the image here with the fancy $ky skin already installed, you will also need a USB stick drive, then just follow the instructions to setup your area and the epg.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...proved-ky-Skin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martin035 View Post
    Yes, you will require a satellite dish, if there's one already at the flat then that should work. Internet also required but isn't essential as the Zgemma will work as a free to air receiver without it.

You can get the image here with the fancy $ky skin already installed, you will also need a USB stick drive, then just follow the instructions to setup your area and the epg.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...proved-ky-Skin

That's perfect, i actually had that page loaded but read this line"I won’t give instructions on how to install any lines" and then wasn't sure if it was a full guide on how to install it or not! I will get someone in to install a dish today if possible, or have a scan for a dish around see what's what!

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbetty02 View Post
    That's perfect, i actually had that page loaded but read this line"I won’t give instructions on how to install any lines" and then wasn't sure if it was a full guide on how to install it or not!
    It is a full guide within the rules of the forum, the backup image will give you everything that's required to get the Zgemma up and running to view Free to air channels. How you add 'things' to the image to view other channels is up to you, but that is against forum rules to discuss.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin035 For This Useful Post:

happy_highlander (1st December, 2015), satsmo (2nd December, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbetty02 View Post
    So been told about these being the best new boxes on the market, so I spoke to my "guy" if you will and he wanted ?300 for installation and then ?100 a year thereafter, didn't think this was right so noticed I can get a decent box brand new for around ?70 - so I bought one!

It's just been delivered and I'm keen to get it set up and running, I was wondering what I actually need, do I need to get a sky dish installed again? And also guess I require the Internet? (The flat I've just moved into used to have Virgin but I guess I can't use there sockets??)

Once I have these 2 things is it a case of flashing it and installing the fancy Sky style skin? How easy are they to flash and where can I get the files from?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Simon
    Wow, firstly, you need a new "guy". But more importantly, you don't need a sky dish at all, you've got a virmin connection. What you need is a zgemma h2 my friend, because yes you can use that connection as its 99% probably still live.

Mr. DK DJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts

And 99% of people who dont have a minimum sub have killed it for the rest of the 1% who do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maca View Post
    And 99% of people who dont have a minimum sub have killed it for the rest of the 1% who do.
    Minimum sub? Whatever justifies it for you.

Mr. DK DJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts

Never mind

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maca For This Useful Post:

P&D (2nd December, 2015), satsmo (2nd December, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maca View Post
    Never mind
    Are you suggesting that the cable scene was destroyed because people were exploiting live lines rather than maintaining a "minimum sub" - I.e having bare minimum justified taking the whole lot?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
    Are you suggesting that the cable scene was destroyed because people were exploiting live lines rather than maintaining a "minimum sub" - I.e having bare minimum justified taking the whole lot?
    No, I think maca is suggesting that it is people who see this as a method to obtain cheap tv with no official sub on cable (or sat) for that matter who are destroying it for the folks who have been involved for years where it's the technical aspect of the hobby that is goal, The tv picture is a by product of working out the problems instead of just banging on a full backup of someone else's settings.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happy_highlander For This Useful Post:

maca (3rd December, 2015), P&D (2nd December, 2015), satsmo (2nd December, 2015)

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

All agreed on that, and a thread that requires closing as 1. It's original post breaks our forum rules and 2. It can go no further, as any discussion regards pay servers is something we will never allow.
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer. - Douglas Adams

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to satsmo For This Useful Post:

digicon (3rd December, 2015), happy_highlander (2nd December, 2015), Johnner (2nd December, 2015), maca (3rd December, 2015), P&D (2nd December, 2015)