1998 MB A Class W168 and elm327 (switch for klines?)
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 1998 MB A Class W168 and elm327 (switch for klines?)

Hello, there was a website once regarding modification of a w168 to electric.
    That site had some info regarding the w168 and obdii protocols. It seems the data in the earlier models floats between various pins and not only the pin 7.
    This was the info:

Basically data passes through pins 1, 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 and 15 and not just the pin 7 (k-line). Now I saw this mod for elm327 and FIAT ecu scan:

http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/Fiat%20Examiner_bestanden/FiatEcuScan_K-line_adapter.htm

This guy uses some resistors to solder pins 1, 3, 7, 9, 12 to pin 7.
    Could this mod work for the w168 soldering pins 1,3,7,9,11,12,13 and 15 to pin 7 with same type resistors? Can anyone try or suggest a solution?

This info regarding elm327 was on the benzev too:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My personal experience with a 1998-99 MB A-Klasse is poor regarding OBD-scanners. A-Klasse is not OBDII compliant until year 2000.

Check this page, https://www.blafusel.de/obd/obd2_scanned.php , scroll down to Mercedes. Works only after year 2000.

And there is no reason to connect different pins in the OBD connector. Generic ELM327 software can only "talk" to the engine ECU, and that pin (7) is correctly connected on the A-Klasse.

There is no specially written diagnostic software for ELM327 and Mercedes Benz as I know of. But I would love to hear about it!
    Last edited by MigMag; 26th January, 2016 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Somebody in another thread tells the protocol is kwp2000 fast init and to set it in scanmaster elm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sniffed the PIDs with a serial monitor and a working adapter (not ELM) . Now I have all the PIDs and meaning. I sent them to hobdrive support team. They made a custom conf for the program and now I can read live data through ELM 327 using kwp2000