USING MY OWN VPN SERVER
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

Default USING MY OWN VPN SERVER

Hi I am trying to set up a VPN server on my desktop computer I have been told this is possible I have a virgin media super hub and believe I have to set up port forwarding to the desktops ip address I am very new to this and has probably been discussed already somewhere what do I need on my desktop to make this work eg settings software ect is there anyone that has a tutorial or could point me in the right direction as I said very new to this so hopefully it can be done. thanks
    Education is not the learning of facts, But the training of the mind to think

So hit the thanks button if I have enlightened you.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts

Search how to set up a vpn in windows. ie the net and tube I assume that's what you are trying to do. Search host your own virtual private network maybe try linux route. hth
    Last edited by DOUGALMCD; 2nd March, 2016 at 11:40 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGALMCD For This Useful Post:

WOODWARD395 (4th March, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Woodward, if you're still looking for virtual server packages, I guess you could just check this page and see what matches your budget. That?s where I would start, then you can see if you can find a package that suits you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

just buy a vpn service like I do....why waste ur time??
    Technomate-Dreambox-Spiderbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WOODWARD395 View Post
    Hi I am trying to set up a VPN server on my desktop computer I have been told this is possible I have a virgin media super hub and believe I have to set up port forwarding to the desktops ip address I am very new to this and has probably been discussed already somewhere what do I need on my desktop to make this work eg settings software ect is there anyone that has a tutorial or could point me in the right direction as I said very new to this so hopefully it can be done. thanks
    i DON'T KNOW why you are wasting your time by creating your own VPN. It's like banging a head on the wall. I would recommend you to buy VPN instead of creating because it's cheap although i like that you are trying to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohnson View Post
    i DON'T KNOW why you are wasting your time by creating your own VPN. It's like banging a head on the wall. I would recommend you to buy VPN instead of creating because it's cheap although i like that you are trying to do.
    Yeah, it depends on what your VPN use is for. If you just want something so you can use public wifi safely then setting up your own VPN works well. Provided your internet connection has a decent upload speed that is. For those who use VPNs to protect themselves while using BitTorrent then that's a different story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WOODWARD395 View Post
    if its just for surfing use tor browser , new page = new ip , if you really neeed your own vpn host check youtube there are a few tutorials.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperCodex For This Useful Post:

KBMan1015 (29th August, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohnson View Post
    Pick your words a little carefully, please. With that said, you do have a point though... I mean why waste time trying to reinvent the wheel? There are options available. you can Google and find tutorials on how to create one yourself. YouTube vids might help too. You can also use openvpn for the job, but again, it's too much of fuss and a hassle when you can just get yourself a VPN in a few minutes and worry about the later steps :/