Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Skybox F5S freezing

Hi there,

I have a couple of F5S boxes that freeze after a period of time. It happens to both FTA & SLY channels. On one box it can be every 20 minutes or so and on the other one it is normally ok for a few hours, before I get the green frozen screen. The box that goes a few hours also freezes immediately if you put an HD channel on - SD is fine.

I've have heard that the tuners overheat but was wondering if anybody can confirm if this is the case and what, if any, solutions there may be.

Both boxes are out of warranty, so sending them back is not an option.

I realize the Openbox/Skybox are cheap and cheerful units, but have founds lots of problems with them right from the early days of the S8......they all seem to go after a year or more.....power supplies and tuners being the main culprits. You gets what you pays for I know!

Any info much appreciated.

IMG_20151027_181757.jpg
    Last edited by CrAcKeDuPII; 7th March, 2016 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

if it is freezing on your fta channels and its doing it on both boxes then that could be a dish probem
    after the weather we have ad then it is very likely but as i say could be.
    so have your dish realigned as the dish could of moved slightly and this would cause it to freeze and if it as moved
    then there is play and any slight wind can move it .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks hfxlad. I should have said the boxes are in different locations running off separate dishes.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

well it you have two dishes it still could be a alignment issue as i would not think that the cable or fittings
    would go down at the same time.you cold try a different reciever if you have one or could borrow one.also press your imfo button and check on the right hand side what your snr number is anything over 70 is good if its under 60 then theres a problem with your signal.and you could also put new firmware on but remember to backup certain things but it does not point to firmware but you have nothing to loose as long as you backup.the image you provided is a pixal problem which says dish alignment or cable or connectors.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Does not sound like a signal issue to me but the best way to check that if you dont have a signal meter is to plug in an official skybox and check the signal levels from there.

Sounds more software/hardware related so i would look into upgrading the firmware on the boxes after signals have been checked.