Register
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great thread... first h2s now up and running with very little head scratching...
    thanks Martin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mailmanuk2 For This Useful Post:

martin035 (3rd October, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Default New Picons

A few new Channels/Rebrands added this week, here's the picons for the new channels, just FTP to /usr/share/enigma2/picon will added at next update.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hello Martin new poster so forgive me if any of what I'm about to explain is an easy fix but I followed your walkthrough, step by step after purchasing a zgemma h2s box.

Set up went well at first and I managed to use google as you suggested if you catch my drift !

All seemed to be well but suddenly I can no longer time shift or record. Currently I'm using a 16gb USB stick plugged into rear of the box as this should be ample for what I'm looking to record etc. As it stands I've had to reflash the box and again all seems well, could this issue be down to when the epg tries to update at 4 in the morning or is it down to the fact that I am using a 16g USB stick rather than an external HDD? I know the minimum recommendation was 4gb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Fm89uk, the issue I would say is down to timeshift, it's a pain in the bum to setup correct, hence why I don't bother with it, my advice reflash your zgemma, reintialise your usb drive and leave the timeshift setting as they are. Then see how it goes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I set the time shift to record after 2 secs to allow live pause and rewind and it seems to create a folder on the USB drive called time shift and when it is working the time shift is working as it should. Is there any way to get it working with time shift? I've went on fleabay and placed a order for a cheap external hdd to try and see if it makes a difference as spoke to someone else I know from this site who had similar issues when trying to use a usb stick rather than external hd. Could that be the cause rather than the time shift?

It seems sometimes the usb is unmounting and upon remounting it seems to work again, thats whats leading me to believe it may be the usb stick issue.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fm89uk For This Useful Post:

martin035 (7th October, 2016)

Mr. DK DJ
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts

Sometimes when these boxes are switched Off the usb will need remounting .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maca For This Useful Post:

martin035 (7th October, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

If you have left the timeshift settings as they are at 12 events for 12 hours your 16gb stick is not even close to big enough. What is happening is your are filling up the usb stick so it can't record (timeshift) any more. Upon reboot the temporary event files are being cleared allowing you to timeshift again. Set it to one event for 3 hours. It will still fail from time to time but will be much more stable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to happy_highlander For This Useful Post:

martin035 (8th October, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ok i will try the above and see how i get on. Surely if on a channel in timeshift it should delete temporary files as soon as channel is changed? I leave the box in standby at night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fm89uk For This Useful Post:

martin035 (8th October, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fm89uk View Post
    Ok i will try the above and see how i get on. Surely if on a channel in timeshift it should delete temporary files as soon as channel is changed? I leave the box in standby at night.
    the default settings are to store 12 events (programmes) for 12 hours on each event and yes it should delete after channel change but doesn't always so you end up with 12 lots of 12 hour recordings. By setting it to 1 event for 3 hours you are reducing the physical amount of recording timeshift is allowed. As I said it will still fail from time to time but at least your usb will still have space for epg and standard recordings. To get rid of any failed events download filebrowser from the plugins menu then navigate to timeshift folder and delete all three files for each failed event, (just a bit easier than ftp into the box all the time) then next time you change channel permanent timeshift will restart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to happy_highlander For This Useful Post:

martin035 (10th October, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As guessed it was the timeshift folder that was full. So as suggested ive changed the events to 1 and time to 3 hours to make sure space is freed up. Is this the only way to limit ammount of space that the time shift can save?

I've got an 80gb usb hd coming anyways so hopefully that should make it a bit easier.

When i reboot the box should that empty the timeshift folder automatically? Or is there a way to empty timeshift without having to manually delete the files through filebrowser plugin?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fm89uk For This Useful Post:

martin035 (10th October, 2016)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Sky Cinema Greats rebranded Sky Tom Hanks here's the picon for the new channel, just FTP to /usr/share/enigma2/picon will added at next update.
    Attached Images Attached Images

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fm89uk View Post
    As guessed it was the timeshift folder that was full. So as suggested ive changed the events to 1 and time to 3 hours to make sure space is freed up. Is this the only way to limit ammount of space that the time shift can save?

I've got an 80gb usb hd coming anyways so hopefully that should make it a bit easier.

When i reboot the box should that empty the timeshift folder automatically? Or is there a way to empty timeshift without having to manually delete the files through filebrowser plugin?
    rebooting usually won't clear the timeshift cache, and the only way to clear it is manually deleting the files, you could try writing a script to do this as a cron job daily but this won't solve the problem if it fails as the files will stay there till the cron job runs. You have lots of settings to force the timeshift to check including setting a minimum amount of space to leave on the drive e.g if you have an 80gb drive and you set timeshift to leave 60gb it can only record timeshift to the remaining 15gb or so that will be left on the drive after formatting. By rights the settings you now have will delete the cache and start a fresh timeshift after one event (programme or 3 hours, whichever comes first) If it fails to delete the files it physically can't start a new timeshift as you have set to a single event only, unfortunately on the zgemma there is no way of knowing if this has happened until you try to pause or rewind live tv . How often do you really rewind the tv ????????? much better to disable permanent timeshift and just press pause when you need to.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to happy_highlander For This Useful Post:

martin035 (11th October, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hiya I see your using a 128gb sd card, how do you find it handles compared to usb stick when comes to write / read speeds when recording etc or that as I using mine with everything on a USB stick including time shift etc so don't know if a sd card will suffer when record and watch another channel with time shift enabled

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jjwerrett For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jjwerrett View Post
    Hiya I see your using a 128gb sd card, how do you find it handles compared to usb stick when comes to write / read speeds when recording etc or that as I using mine with everything on a USB stick including time shift etc so don't know if a sd card will suffer when record and watch another channel with time shift enabled
    Ok, I don't use timeshift, but to test the Micro SD card and see whether there was any recording issues ie stutter/freezing on playback I did the the following;

(All storage ie Crossepg, epg and swapfile are stored on the SD card as well and No USB drive is connected.)

2x simultaneous recordings, Emmerdale on ITV2 HD and Monkey Life on Sky1+1 SD (which would be the same as recording 1 channel and using timeshift simultaneously)

On playback, NO stuttering or freezing was displayed. My card is an Integral 128GB Micro SDXC Card UHS-I U1 - 80MB/s so the important thing is if you want to dual record or use timeshift is to get fast storage whether that is an Micro SD card or USB drive, whatever at the time is the cheaper.

But if you don't use the timeshift or record occasionally, then get whatever Micro SD card or USB drive you can afford, if you want to keep your recording then get a large drive preferably a mechanical hard drive as that will be the cheaper option, if you're a record and delete person then get a 16-32 gb USB or SD drive as anything larger is a waste of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply with even tests run before hand, I got a 128gb sd Samsung evo+ so will pop that in and try it out, as currently have the WiFi adapter in the back so the front has to take the ugly usb stick with one very annoying bright blue flashing led .

Will try the sd card out today and see how it performs 😀

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jjwerrett For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast