Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question VAG-COMMANDER 5.5, VAG-Group, A3 8p - dash cluster upgrade ?

Hey folks!

I have some questions regarding this VAG-Commander, I've recently bought:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/231765453788
    It has not arrived yet, but I'm planing to use it for this purpose (in first line):

I own an Audi A3 8p 1.9TDI (vorfacelift, version 2005) and I plan to change the dash cluster to enable FIS (bordcomputer) function.
    I want to change the actual cluster with an cluster that has also white colored FIS (Audi models after 2007). People are reporting successful modifyng to this modell in other forums.

However, I'm not sure anymore if this tool I bought (mentioned above), will help me in fullfiling my plan. I will have to:
    1. match the 'new' (actualy used) cluster with my car (key learing / configure immobilizer).
    2. change the odometer-value (km correction)

I will have to work with two dash clusters. First, with my old one, to get/read the actual pin & access code (for immobilizer) and second to correct the kilometers on the other cluster I will use afterwards.

The old cluster is a 2004 modell and maybe I will be able to get all the data from it with this tool, but my big question is if I will be able to change the data on the newer cluster I will install (remeber, it will be a dash cluster something after 2007) ?!

I didn't find any usefull information about this issue in the forum jungle , if I'm wrong, please redirect me to the correct thread!

PS: I'm used to IT/programming, I do this everyday, well, not in the automotive section yet, but it wouldn't be hard for me to get used to new software/frameworks/tools (in case you want to suggest me alternative solutions for my issue).

Thank you for any help!

Regards,
    probatest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok. Because nobody answered, I assume that either nobody is interessted in this topic or that there is no information about this tools. Or maybe no one is willing to help? :|

Anyway, I've recived the tool and I'm trying to get it up and runing.

I can report that it has a FT232R inside and it should be recognized well by windows 7 (see Pic.1).
    However, I'm not able to connect to the car/interface . It doesn't matter if I'm connected to the car or not (or if I disconect the interface from usb/laptop), I only get the error shown in Pic. 2. So, I assume that the PC can't even comunicate with the tool, which is disapointing.
    I contacted the seller. Btw. the SW in Screenshoot 2 was offered by the seller, so I expect to get a communication with the interface at least.

I've also tried to reach the interface through putty => nothing, blank window with no output, not even the input-line is shown....
    I will also give it a try with different operating systems (in vbox), but I don't expect to get much better results...

Any Ideas?
    Or does someone now other cheap/clone tools which would (or can be adjusted/combined to) do the job ?

Thank You all!

Attachment 375280Attachment 375281
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by probatest; 13th May, 2016 at 10:31 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    756 Posts

Friendly advice,walk away from Micronas cluster with cheap tools.
    You can create big problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

2005 AUDI A3 1.9 TDI maybe has no CANBUS diag function.

Quote Originally Posted by probatest View Post
    Ok. Because nobody answered, I assume that either nobody is interessted in this topic or that there is no information about this tools. Or maybe no one is willing to help? :|

Anyway, I've recived the tool and I'm trying to get it up and runing.

I can report that it has a FT232R inside and it should be recognized well by windows 7 (see Pic.1).
    However, I'm not able to connect to the car/interface . It doesn't matter if I'm connected to the car or not (or if I disconect the interface from usb/laptop), I only get the error shown in Pic. 2. So, I assume that the PC can't even comunicate with the tool, which is disapointing.
    I contacted the seller. Btw. the SW in Screenshoot 2 was offered by the seller, so I expect to get a communication with the interface at least.

I've also tried to reach the interface through putty => nothing, blank window with no output, not even the input-line is shown....
    I will also give it a try with different operating systems (in vbox), but I don't expect to get much better results...

Any Ideas?
    Or does someone now other cheap/clone tools which would (or can be adjusted/combined to) do the job ?

Thank You all!

Attachment 375280Attachment 375281

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your replies.

This Audi is from 11/2004 but it is the 2005 modell (vorfacelift). I'm pretty sure it has CANBUS. But even if not, the tool I bought has also a k-bus software named pin reader. No one worked.

A question to all those who have a VAG commander. After you ONLY connect the interface to the PC and than start the SW and press Open channel (without connectin to the car), do you normally see more output than it is shown in the screenshot?
    I think that even if I'm not connected to the car, I should see some message about the software finding the tool connecting to it, right?

@simaservis1108: Thank you. Than what tool would you suggest me (that still has a reasonable price for a person who is not making money with it, just for personal use) ?

I was also thinking about this way. Please tell me if this would work:
    Find out the login pin with cheap tools, than adjust the mileage with VCDS. Would VCDS allow tho adjust the mileage if the donor cluster has more than 100km? Because I was reading about this issue, but I'm not sure if this is valid also for VCDS or only if you go to the audi dealer...

Thank you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by probatest; 14th May, 2016 at 01:11 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    756 Posts

I don't know of any cheap tools to do that job.
    Your best bet is to find someone who can do this for you.

VCDS can only adjust mileage to higher value if cluster is over 100km.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default digiprog3?

Quote Originally Posted by simaservis1108 View Post
    I don't know of any cheap tools to do that job.
    Your best bet is to find someone who can do this for you.

VCDS can only adjust mileage to higher value if cluster is over 100km.

Thanks!

The problem is, I don't know anyone in my town who will be able to it.
    I've read some days ago about digiprog 3. A chinese dealer told my about it after I asked him what would work with my car. A clone would cost something under 200,-.
    So, would this work with my car, is it worth a try? I've read about it and some people reports also success with it.

And yes, the odometer I will upgrade to, will have to be adjusted to higher mileage. In this case it should work with VCDS, right? If yes, than I will have to read the eeprom and post it in DK and maybe someone will be that nice to help me in geting the pin. Can I than read the eeprom with simple/cheap tools ?
    I will have to buy a new tool, even for reading, since it looks like, my tool doesn't work at all....

However, I've recently read about having to read the ECU from the donor (and not the cluster eeprom), since the dump of the cluster will be encrypted, is this correct?
    If thats true, than I will have no chance to buy only the dash cluster and to program it by obd.

Any professionals who can confirm this assumptions?

Thanks!