Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default 1.6 HDI Intermittent Fuel High Pressure Exceeded & engine cuts out

Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 Citroen C2 1.6HDI 9HZ 110hp and once every month the fuel rail pressure all of a sudden gets really high, then the ECU logs P1166 and shuts the engine... Lexia says it's the "fuel pressure exceeded upper limit"

This is the PSA description for this fault code, which matches what I expereience with the car.:

When I managed to have a cheap BT ELM327 connected when the car did this fault, the rail pressure went really high and then after a few secs the engine cut out. This is not just what the fuel rail pressure sensor measures as the engine also gives out a very strong audible noise when this happens - so it confirms that the rail pressure is indeed too high.

I have already replaced the pressure regulator valve on the top of the fuel pump with a new one, replaced the fuel filter with a genuine one - these made no difference, the fault still happens, but as I written above only once or twice a month.

Could an intermittent short / open circuit cause this problem? I am thinking that something might happen making it open circuit for a few secsonds, and that would mean no control on the regulator valve, hence the pressure becoming really high.

Thanks,

Tibi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Just to add to this, the infodiag below states, that the fuel flow regulator of the Bosch CP1H high pressure pump which this car has is is normally closed.

http://service.citroen.com/dtt/IFD/A...nfodiag409.pdf

So if there is an open circuit, or if I disconnect the plug from the flow regulator the pressure would go up to the max (as it would not be regulated).

(this is exactly the opposite of the Bosch CP3.2 where it is normally open, so if you disconnect it it gives you 30-40bar rail pressure)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VTS_Tibi For This Useful Post:

jmac200t (22nd October, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Was there any gunge on the old control valve when you removed it from the pump?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smokey08 For This Useful Post:

Meat-Head (1st June, 2016), VTS_Tibi (16th May, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Sorry do you mean metallic swarf? In that case the answer is no, the valve was clear from debris and I also cut the fuel filter apart and there was nothing there. It was clean.

In case you are asking about sticky residue, then the tip of the valve (especially around the seal) was slightly covered in something which looked like silicone grease.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Hi,try to change connectors from fuel pressure sensor and regulator plugs,maybe a bad contact could do this.
    If wrong information of sensor pressure on ecu,could change injection values

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bad contact on fuel preasure senzor,only clean conector with electronic spray

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    147 Posts

Just change the fuel pressure regulator
    50w Soldering Iron
    Chisel
    Sometimes Hammer

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

If had regulator & once a month

1) aftermarjet hid lights?

2) ecu

3) none of above

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

To update this thread in case anyone else will have the same issue in the future with the 1.6 HDI. Believe it or not, it was the BSM. There was a TSB from Citroen which referenced the DTC I had and the TSB stated the BSMs have a manufacturing issue.

The old BSM had a couple of relays which turned black (looked like from smoke or somethign similar).

I fitted a new BSM and the car has been fine since (this was a good few months ago).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VTS_Tibi For This Useful Post:

Meat-Head (21st October, 2017), synkrotronic (5th November, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

ON TOPIC:- AND OFF TOPIC:-

once in a while you come across 307 perrol, not start, no fault codes, everything looks good on live data.

the bsm has "two" relays, one goes to feed coils etc the other feeds ecu, the relay gives out and no power to coils

ON TOPIC:-

so yours is in effect doing the same, put up with it would one day be non start.

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Meat-Head For This Useful Post:

synkrotronic (5th November, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    ON TOPIC:- AND OFF TOPIC:-

once in a while you come across 307 perrol, not start, no fault codes, everything looks good on live data.

the bsm has "two" relays, one goes to feed coils etc the other feeds ecu, the relay gives out and no power to coils

ON TOPIC:-

so yours is in effect doing the same, put up with it would one day be non start.
    Correct. Seen that happening on many C4s and just a handful of 307s, but mostly they were petrols.

Apparently on the 1.4 and 1.6 HDIs at around 2009 there was a change in the BSI (mine was a very late C2, which actually was more of a DS3 under the skin. All the part numbers were DS3 for the BSI, BSM etc..) and this issue affected the DS3, C2 and 207.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VTS_Tibi For This Useful Post:

synkrotronic (5th November, 2017)