Register
    V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

Red face Samsung power drain issues - a possible solution

Just had 3 weeks of hell with my Note 3 sucking the life out of my battery. It started the day after an App update for Google Services. My battery would go from 100% to about 55% in 6 hours with no usage. I'm sure Isheep would be jumping for joy if they had that type of power left... But I certainly wasn't. If I used my phone for internet use with wifi on & could watch the percentage drop one point every 40 seconds or so.

There's a load of possible solutions out there that may work, or may not. I've tried quite a few over the past weeks. So here's a quick run down of what to try & what worked for me.

These problems started with kitkat & got worse with Lollipop & unbearable with Marshmallow. I'm currently stuck on Lollipop.

First off... turn off your phone. A simple restart might clear a sync problem.

Delete or remove unwanted apps.

Enter recovery mode (Vol up, home & Power buttons) and wipe the cache partition.

Install Gsam battery monitor from the Play Store. This should help you find Apps or services that are eating power. It is better than the Android battery monitor located in the settings.

Someone found a Samsung App that was causing a lot of problems with battery draining.. Unified Daemon(EUR). This shares weather data between apps & wearables. Disable it & restart.

Factory reset. Oh how I love spending the best part of a day setting my phone back up.

But like others I was still having problems. Mainly with the Google services, google play services or email apps. I tried multiple factory wipes with cache partition wipes before & after, but still had problems. Although it wasn't as bad until I put my email details in. Then the power problems returned. It didn't matter which email app I tried, the result was the same.

So I downloaded an exact firmware match from Samfirmware & flashed my phone with Odin.
    Once through the setup, where I passed on the email & all forms of data backup/recovery, I went straight to the App Manager & started removing or disabling apps.

Here's the list...

ANT Radio Service
    ANT+ Plugins Service
    Bloomberg+
    BlurbCheckout
    ChatOn
    Chrome
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    Flipboard
    Gmail
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Pay Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    Google Search
    Google+
    Hangouts
    S Health
    Samsung Print service Plugin
    Samsung WatchON
    Talkback
    Travel Wallpaper
    TripAdvisor
    Unified Daemon(EUR)
    Yahoo Finance

All other updates were done if required. I only setup my email after a day of normal running with power usage back to where I expected it.
    Taken off charge at 9am with 100%. By 6pm (10 hours later) I was sitting with 92% remaining.
    Adding my email & stopping all app restores battery usage remained low. I did notice higher than usual drain when using my phone so I've replaced the battery that was about 14 months old.
    Still running tests... New battery with single full charge currently on 39% after just over 39 hours with over 19 hours remaining.
    Screen on time 1h 33m, about an hour of internet, 40mins of calls, and email checks every 15 mins. Bluetooth is always on & connected to my Gear & there are text & emails coming through regularly every hour.
    Email & Google Play services are still top of the usage at 22% & 14% respectively... But who cares.

I think the problem lies between syncing accounts, corrupt apps & an issue with the SOC chip. Flashing the phone removed any errors with the SOC while not recovering any app data from Google stopped corrupted data from buggering up the phone again. Samsung account recovery was used for bookmarks, S Note & a few other apps without any problems.

It eventually worked for me. But if you have a Note 4, 5, S5, S6, S7 or Edge variants then you won't be able to change your battery.
    Last edited by Canker_Canison; 9th July, 2016 at 01:15 AM.
    Canker

"Animal, vegetable or mineral... I'll do anything, to anything, with anything"
    - The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells
    [COLOR=Green]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Try downloading and then running advanced battery calibrator from the play store. It should make a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

i have a htc1 and need to switch off mobile data,wifi,and bluetooth,dam updates and installs.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    i have a htc1 and need to switch off mobile data,wifi,and bluetooth,dam updates and installs.
    Which version of the One? M7, M8 or M9?
    The M9 should still be in warranty, send it back. Sealed batteries have to be covered for the full 2 years of the contract period...even if it's prepay... Equal rights an' all that.

If it's the M7 or M8 you might want to start looking for a repair service that can change the battery. But that ain't gonna be easy.
    Canker

"Animal, vegetable or mineral... I'll do anything, to anything, with anything"
    - The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells
    [COLOR=Green]

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

that bugger m8 did it again ,thursday evening fully charged,forgot to switch off wifi and screen had 16 updates available,friday evening still charged and by saturday morning flat and seems the updates went ahead and updated by itself hence why flat.no updates showing now on screen.
    maybe others have the same issues with other phones with self updating and battery going flat.